[TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) in Ubuntu 10.04 without unlocking bootloader

This is a discussion on [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) in Ubuntu 10.04 without unlocking bootloader within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Last Verified Working on Jan 14, 2010 on a Nexus One FRG83D Phone using files in this post. Also, thanks to Anacaona for pointing out ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) in Ubuntu 10.04 without unlocking bootloader

Cool [TUTORIAL]Root FRG83(N1) in Ubuntu 10.04 without unlocking bootloader

Last Verified Working on Jan 14, 2010 on a Nexus One FRG83D Phone using files in this post.
    Also, thanks to Anacaona for pointing out the important following information:
    Quote Originally Posted by anacaona View Post
    Just a note that this worked ... after activating USB debugging (Settings --> Applications --> Development --> USB debugging).

Thanks to everyone on this forum and elsewhere helping me to get my phone working after that most recent update!

I would especially like to thank Killerbender for his excellent tutorial, which helped get me 88% there (Some things didn't work for linux that well).
    If I made any mistakes, or if anything is not clear, please let me know.

This tutorial assumes that you know how to open a terminal window (Applications/Accessories/Terminal).
    It also assumes that if you do not have gedit installed, you will use nano/vim/whatever instead.

How To Root Your Nexus One (Firmware 2.2.1, FRG83) in Ubuntu 10.04:

#################################
    Part 1) Get the SDK

1.a. Download your sdk from here: Android SDK | Android Developers

1.b. Extract the files to a folder you can find (I created a folder "androidsdk" on my desktop)
    Inside the extracted files is folder called "tools", inside of there is a program called "adb".
    NOTE: I am not sure the program adb is still in the sdk... just in case, I uploaded the one that worked for me on Jan 14 2010 here. You can also grab a copy that I attached to this post.

1.c. Copy adb to a folder on your desktop (I made one called "phone") using terminal:
    cp ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/adb ~Desktop/phone/adb
    You can alternatively add it to /usr/bin to be able to adb from anywhere.

sudo cp ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/adb /usr/bin/adb

So at this point you have a folder on your desktop called "phone" with a file "adb" in it.
    (If you have to, right click adb and go to properties, permissions, and make sure it has permission to execute as a program. )

Part 2) Create the rules for android:

2.a. In terminal, type the following (You can substitute vi or nano for gedit if you wish)
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
    2.b. If the file is empty (or it didn't exist before), then place the following text:
    SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666"

2.b.note: I know that Google says their sys id is "0bb4" for HTC, but nexus one actually needs "18d1" for some reason.
    If you have strange issues (like adb devices not showing correct info) then this step is probably the reason.

2.c. Save the file.

2.d. Enter the following command to allow this to take effect without restarting:
    sudo service udev restart
    Part 3: Gaining Root on the phone

3.a First we need the exploit. Download either of these (One is the original, one is a mirror):
    http://stealth.openwall.net/xSports/...nstTheCage.tgz
    RageAgainstTheCage.tgz

3.b Extract that file into a folder (I used my phone folder on the desktop)

3.c Test to make sure ADB was correctly set up (In terminal):
    cd ~/Desktop/phone
    ./adb kill-server
    ./adb start-server
    ./adb devices
    (The kill-server command is in case the server was still running from a previous try)
    The output should look like this:

theaceoffire@Subworld3464:~$ adb devices
    List of devices attached
    HT9CXP804316 device

If you see this instead, you need to retry part 2

theaceoffire@Subworld3464:~$ adb devices

List of devices attached
    ???????????? no permissions

3.d Assuming that you can correctly see the device (And that you started the server), let us move the file we need to the phone and give it correct permissions.:
    cd ~/Desktop/phone
    adb push ~/Desktop/phone/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rage

adb shell chmod 700 /data/local/tmp/rage
    3.e Enter shell, then execute our rage program.
    adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./rage
    exit //This is to get us back to the command line

adb kill-server //Stop our current server.
    adb start-server //Start it again. Hope it worked!
    3.f. Step 3.e doesn't work every time. Let's find out if it did:
    adb shell
    If you do not see the command prompt as a "#", then you are not root yet. Try 3.E again. This took 3 tries for me.

Part 4: KEEPING Root on the phone

4.a: Now that we have root from part 3, let's make it permanent.
    Download one of the zips from the following mirrors:
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1327667/freenexus.zip
    freenexus.zip

4.b: Extract the contents of the zip to our phone folder (~/Desktop/phone)

4.c: (~/Desktop/phone) Should now have at LEAST following files in it:
    busybox su Superuser.apk
    4.d: Let's move stuff to the phone, since we are already root (in terminal):
    cd ~/Desktop/phoneadb kill-server //Stop our current server if we have it.
    adb start-server //Start our server.
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp/busybox
    adb push su /data/local/tmp/su
    adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox
    4.e: And now let us move files to their final resting place:
    adb shell <-- You should see a "#" sign, else back to Part 3
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./busybox mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    ./busybox cp busybox /system/bin
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
    busybox cp Superuser.apk /system/app
    busybox cp su /system/bin
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    exit
    exit (close terminal)
    4.f: And let's clean up our mess, shall we? (New terminal! Woo!)
    adb shell
    cd /data/local/tmp
    rm rage
    rm busybox
    rm su
    rm Superuser.apk
    //This (/data/local/tmp) should be empty when we are done.
    exit
    exit
    (close terminal)
    ^_^ And that is a combilation of several tutorials, guides, and questions that helped me re-root my phone. Several of the restarts of the adb server were just in case, not required... but why not be extra sure?

Some of the sources I used:
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...html#post77453
    http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...ootloader.html
    Re: [android-discuss] ADB: error: insufficient permissions for device
    "adb devices" yields "???????? no permissions" - Android Help
    Getting Nexus One ADB/USB Mount working (Driver) - Page 2 - xda-developers
    Android SDK | Android Developers
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Wow very nice tutorial.

That was easy! No drivers or any of that windows stuff Thanks!

Thanks for posting this! Just a note that this worked for me after activating USB debugging (Settings --> Applications --> Development --> USB debugging).

Greetings *-*

Foremost, thankyou leagues for your labors. I very much look forward to rooting with your method.
    I attempted to begin this morning but terminal gave me a 'no such file' type of error message when I entered: cp ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/adb ~Desktop/phone/adb
    into terminal (I have an androidsdk folder on the desktop with the tools and the others within--also have a separate phone folder waiting on the desktop).

I checked the sdk file that is downloaded and extracted and don't see anything named adb. Is it under another name possibly, that I can rename adb, or substitute for 'adb' in the command lines?
    I am familiar with terminal to some extent, and have flashed roms before, but this is my first root. I've read alot of root threads (and get the general idea), but most require windows releases I don't have access to

Thx for any light you may be able to shed.

cp ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/adb ~Desktop/phone/adb

Change the command to:
    cp ~/Desktop/androidsdk/tools/adb ~/Desktop/phone/adb

This assumes you have the correct files in the desktop folder to begin with.
    into terminal

They may have changed the sdk since I first wrote this tutorial. I will re-check later when I have my main machine.

Thankyou for your reply. I checked the release dates and the main page is only offering an sdk (2.3) released in December.
    2.2 is available through the sdk manager of the current release. I'm hoping I don't have to install eclipse to get it but can't find it anywhere else on the net. There's also the FRG83d factor. If I get the 2.2 sdk tools, will the 2.2 sdk still properly communicate with an updated phone? FRG83d is a glitch-abundant annoyance to run at best. Fingers crossed I can still successfully root, despite the Froyo update, with this tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleZoe View Post
    Thankyou for your reply. I checked the release dates and the main page is only offering an sdk (2.3) released in December.
    2.2 is available through the sdk manager of the current release. I'm hoping I don't have to install eclipse to get it but can't find it anywhere else on the net. There's also the FRG83d factor. If I get the 2.2 sdk tools, will the 2.2 sdk still properly communicate with an updated phone? FRG83d is a glitch-abundant annoyance to run at best. Fingers crossed I can still successfully root, despite the Froyo update, with this tutorial.
    Nah, you shouldn't have to install Eclipse.

I have been meaning to re-root my phone, and if the process is much more different then before I will update the tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by theaceoffire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleZoe View Post
    Nah, you shouldn't have to install Eclipse.

I have been meaning to re-root my phone, and if the process is much more different then before I will update the tutorial.
    Excellent news. I've searched and all the methods I'm seeing need windows, or have unspecified, or specified but untested Ubuntu procedures. I'm not shy of unlocking bootloader, with an old phone, but have no idea how to just yet. Even cyanogen's root talks of installing fastboot, which it seems needs the newer sdk to install the .bin. They don't get into detailed steps or even mention an operating system in the N1 wiki. I'm quite grateful you have and are taking the time to share your research.

Well I don't have much time right now to work on this, but I did upload what I think is the copy of adb for windows, mac and linux (It was part of a package I had on my computer somewhere).

Good luck! I will come back and do a more thorough investigation later.

Link to Adb: 1.1-FRF91-nexusone-superboot.zip

*****EDIT 2*****
    Hey, I found the one that *I* originally used! Here ya go:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?07qtfe5danf5710

****EDIT 3 *****

So I just refollowed my steps using the copy of ADB that I uploaded to media fire.

^_^ IT WORKED! I got all my stuff working again. I would suggest uninstalling the sudo program if you already had it on your phone just to avoid issues before you begin re-rooting.

****EDIT 4****
    I updated my tutorial (Added a quote from anacaona who pointed out that your phone needs to be in usb debug mode, added mediafire link to adb and attached adb with date to the post, added date last verified)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links