What is the best rom for power saving

This is a discussion on What is the best rom for power saving within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Sorry dragonrunner, I didn't mean to imply that you were lying. What I mean by having the display screen on is that when you use ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is the best rom for power saving

Sorry dragonrunner, I didn't mean to imply that you were lying.

What I mean by having the display screen on is that when you use the phone the display is ON (i.e., lit up).

The display burns a LOT of power no matter what kernel you're using. It is typically the main drain on the battery (as can be seen from your screen-shot). Therefore, I still find these numbers to be unbelievable.

Unused for 22 hours, maybe. I can squeeze out about 50% in 16 hours under-clocked with moderate usage with CM6.1

But over-clocked with moderate use will not get 22 hours to 59%. Just not gonna happen.

The only way you might get this is if you use the "display render" feature that turns on only red LEDs. Are you using that?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Sorry dragonrunner, I didn't mean to imply that you were lying.

What I mean by having the display screen on is that when you use the phone the display is ON (i.e., lit up).

The display burns a LOT of power no matter what kernel you're using. It is typically the main drain on the battery (as can be seen from your screen-shot). Therefore, I still find these numbers to be unbelievable.

Unused for 22 hours, maybe. I can squeeze out about 50% in 16 hours under-clocked with moderate usage with CM6.1

But over-clocked with moderate use will not get 22 hours to 59%. Just not gonna happen.

The only way you might get this is if you use the "display render" feature that turns on only red LEDs. Are you using that?
    Beer, there is no offense taken at your skepticism. I understand completely.

I dont have any display render feature turned on. In fact I dont know anything about it to tell you the truth.

Not exactly sure what you are saying though. What does (or does not) my screen shot tell you? I was gonna take a pic of the setcpu setting but thought that it would be irrelevant because folks might have just assumed I turned it on for the screen shot.

I assure you though that my setcpu is set at 1152 MHz and has been running like that since I placed it like that. I am now charging my phone and when it reaches 100% I will unplug it and wont plug it in again (if I remember not too, or some super hot rom comes out today that requires me to try it out...sort of rom whore lol) and take more screenshots. I will try to replicate what I claimed and repost again on it tomorrow.

Advise what screen shot would prove what I am saying the best. Thanks.

DG
    Rooted One Click Method 8/11/10
    Unlocked Bootloader 11/11/10
    Rom: CM7 RC1 w/ Honeybread theme

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    (I'll either find a way or make one)

DragonGunner

Just noticed that although my cpu was set to OC at 1152MHz, I had enabled various profiles at 499MHz to save battery life. I thought I had to check "enable" for the profiles to begin working the way that I set them.

Apparently enabling my profiles was causing my 1152MHz OC at times to automatically lower to 499MHz. Dont know or understand why and will read more on it. This error on my part is the reason why I thought I had such great battery life.

I have since disabled my profiles and and my cpu is OC'd and now constant at 1152Mhz.

I have just unplugged my device and will see what kind of battery life I have tomorrow at this time with my cpu running at 1152Mhz. I will post screenshots if I get similar results like I previously posted.

I humbly apologize if I have mislead anyone to believe that my phone had such great battery life as I would never deliberately try to mislead anyone in this forum. Administrators or mods feel welcome to change my senior status back to NOOB status. It appears I dont rate it.

Many thanks to Beer for his skepticism as it made me investigate my setcpu settings a bit more thoroughly.

Have a great day everyone.

DG

DragonGunner

Lol its ok Drag!

Nothing wrong with using setcpu profiles Yo. Keeping the phone running steady at 1152 is gonna Murder your battery.
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Really, my point all along has been that a "power optimized" kernel, at very best, might improve battery life maybe 5-10%. If someone is claiming that they are getting double the battery life simply by using a different kernel.... then they are fooling themselves.

There are a lot of things posted on the Internet that need to be tested.

The main ways to get better battery life are:
    1) Dimmer display or using something like "render effect" (display is a very big user of power).
    2) Disabling or minimizing the use of radios (Wi-Fi, cellular, bluetooth, GPS)
    3) Disabling or minimizing the use of background applications (both from a CPU and radio usage perspective).
    4) Minimizing the use of power hungry foreground applications (games come to mind).
    5) Lowering the CPU frequency (for the most part, more speed == more power).

When it comes down to it, it's all physics... there are no magical kernels (or ROM's) out there.

P.S. Render effect is supported in CM6.X
    It allows for disabling some of the LED's in the display by color. Since the pen-tile displays like the one on the Nexus One have fewer red LED's then blue or green, using only the red can be a big power saver (ugly though it may be). There are other "render effect" options that combine various combination's of colors.

Did my batt test. Sorry in advance no pics. I used shootme and took 2 pics and then plugged in my usb to download them and for some reason they are not there. So I unplugged but it was too late because the batt stats had already been reset. I am so friggin pissed because I waited 24 hours to show the results.

My results were the same if not a little better as I spent a lot more time making voice calls. I ensured that setcpu was working at 1152MHz and that profiles were off.

When I took the pics I had 55% battery life left after having the the cpu OC'd at 1152Mhz, wifi on the entire time, screen brightness at half and I turned off every other power saving option there was to ensure that I was getting a correct reading.

I dont know. Perhaps I am just a lucky one with this battery. I know everyone is skeptical but it is what it is.

Beer I know it sounds impossible but what can I say. Yes perhaps I am misreading something but I am as confused as you. I have to accept the fact that you are more experienced than me when it comes to these things but I have to believe the results I saw for myself also.

Have a great day.

DG

DragonGunner

Wink

I guess that one of the problems that we have is what constitutes "moderate" use. I used my phone "moderately" yesterday (not really, I'd consider it little use) and I had 79% battery left after 15 1/2 hours.

Beer my phone did very well last 24 hours.

Battery life yesterday. Started at 7 am thru 11 pm - 71% remain. I have couple short call and some texting. Updated some stuff thru market and did titanium complete backup. Thats 16 hours very lite use, read some email also. Then at 11 pm went to bed and did not plug charger at 71% at 7 am this morning read 67%, used 4% overnight standby. So in 24 hours it dropped 23%, WOW that is great. SetCPU is set for 1075200 min 245000. Running Miui 0.10.29 kernal 2.6.35.7_SVS-925mV_CFS_AXI720p_1152MHz_103010.

Jeff.

Amon 2.0.0
    Current: [ROM] MIUI 12.3

Quote Originally Posted by jjcgolf72 View Post
    Beer my phone did very well last 24 hours.

Battery life yesterday. Started at 7 am thru 11 pm - 71% remain. I have couple short call and some texting. Updated some stuff thru market and did titanium complete backup. Thats 16 hours very lite use, read some email also. Then at 11 pm went to bed and did not plug charger at 71% at 7 am this morning read 67%, used 4% overnight standby. So in 24 hours it dropped 23%, WOW that is great. SetCPU is set for 1075200 min 245000. Running Miui 0.10.29 kernal 2.6.35.7_SVS-925mV_CFS_AXI720p_1152MHz_103010.

Jeff.
    So... I go back to my basic premise....

It's not the kernel or the ROM that determines battery life (though it may have a small effect). It's how you use the phone. And SetCPU is key.

Times when the screen is on, like web surfing, etc. will burn a lot of power. Reducing screen brightness helps some. The radios are another key power burner (no kernel will change that much).

The two things that improve battery life the most are dimming the screen and lowering the CPU speed (apart from not using the phone a lot).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links