[ROM] AOSP Gingerbread v16

This is a discussion on [ROM] AOSP Gingerbread v16 within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Alright, this might be a noob bomb, but what exactly are the benefits of unlocking a bootloader, and how does it differ from recovery? I'm ...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: [ROM] AOSP Gingerbread v16

Question

Alright, this might be a noob bomb, but what exactly are the benefits of unlocking a bootloader, and how does it differ from recovery? I'm guessing it's the step before it even boots into recovery?

I've already had to use my warranty to fix burn-in on mine (it's a shame too, the AMOLED looked so much nicer than SLCD but I've gotten used to the blueness since) but it's up in May so it's not really much of a concern anymore considering it's been time enough to pick up a new toy in a few months anyway so I'm ready to violate her in any way necessary :rofl3:

Sorry if I've totally derailed the thread btw...

Well, assuming your phone won't boot, or gets stuck in a boot loop, you have a few options to get back on your feet. Each of these options require different levels of functionality from your phone. The one that works when everything else fails is fastboot, but fastboot requires your bootloader to be unlocked.

You could always unlock when you get in a sticky spot, but the twist is that you need your power button to unlock the phone. Power buttons have been known to fail, and once they do, you cannot unlock your bootloader. That's why I'm starting to think that unlocking the bootloader while you can is a smart move. The only risk is to your warranty, so once your warranty is gone, you've got nothing to lose...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've had a good run with it and to get one repair out of a warranty seems like a fair deal.

Thanks for the tip!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links