Help me understand the jargon

This is a discussion on Help me understand the jargon within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I am a NuB to this forum and I read posts that talk about flashing the radio, flashing the ROM with or without unlocking bootloader, ...

Thread: Help me understand the jargon

Help me understand the jargon

I am a NuB to this forum and I read posts that talk about flashing the radio, flashing the ROM with or without unlocking bootloader, rooting the device etc.
    What do these terms mean? Help from you veterans out there will be greatly appreciated.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Root is simply hacking your phone to allow you to access your root folder (your phone's internal files which normally you can't access) Similar to iPhone "jailbreaking" and Symbian "hacking".

Keep in mind there's a reason why you can't access these files without root, you can do a lot when you have root both good and bad.:D

Here's some good infos on bootloader that can explain it better than me.:D
    What Is Bootloader And How To Unlock Bootloader On Android Phones [Complete Guide]
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

These are good things to know but the only thing is that if you say you are a noob then it is a good idea that you don't root your phone because it can do allot of good fun stuff but if you don't know exactly what you are doing it can do allot of bad. It has happened to a whole lot of people but once you understand these terms and know what you are doing it can be really cool.

Thanks to all for your answers. I will not attempt anything foolish .
    Just want to know what people mean and be better educated about my new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by noreast View Post
    Thanks to all for your answers. I will not attempt anything foolish .
    Just want to know what people mean and be better educated about my new phone.

Don't let it stop you from getting the full potential out of your phone.
    Like already mentioned, just be careful. I read and read for about two weeks, getting all the infos I can before I attempted anything.
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

All good advice

Rooting is great and fun. As Dude said, you can mess up too. But, hard to destroy it anymore. Only thing that would damage it beyond repair (brick) was to pull battery during the radio install. They are now in .zip format and not as likely to have that happen.

There are many stickies at top of forums here and on the XDA Nexus One Forum and Cyanogen that have guides (Wiki's). But, you are right that the language we use is not normal. Just takes awhile. No guide seems to offer it all. I spent 100 to 200 hours of study, research, and bookmarking before I took the plunge 8 months ago and still mess up.

If I am going to install (flash) a new rom (operating system) I read that particular forum almost page to page. Or, if large, at least 1st and last 20 pages.

These roms let your Nexus One look and behave like the Desire, myTouch4g, or the new Gingerbread coming out. FUN.

Anyway, plenty of people here to help if you decide to root. Preparation is the key. I would recommend rooting the older way with Android SDK and ADB as opposed to the new one-click. Harder to learn and set up, but forces you to learn things you are going to need to know anyway. The rooting that way has less issues down the road. If, I figured it out anyone can.

Enjoy,

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

You beat me baseballfanz

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Maybe but your is a little better IMHO.

You humble me, I am just a slow typer

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links