How to install ZIP file or APK file on rooted N1

This is a discussion on How to install ZIP file or APK file on rooted N1 within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Experts ! i have recently rooted my N1. Also , i have downloaded one application for rooted N1 from internet. its a zip formate file. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install ZIP file or APK file on rooted N1

How to install ZIP file or APK file on rooted N1

Experts !
    i have recently rooted my N1.
    Also , i have downloaded one application for rooted N1 from internet. its a zip formate file. currently its on my desktop.

How do i install it to my phone ? also do i need to unzip that file ?
    whats the difference between zip files and apk files ? both are the same ?

Both can be install same way ???

Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You are going to need to get the APK file for the install. The APK is the Android-certified install file (as DMG is to Apple computers) and once you can get the APK file, download it to your SD card and get the App ASTRO File Manager from the Android Market. Open the App, and locate the file. Once located, press it and it will bring you to the install page. And no, ZIP files are different. They are a compressed file that took the free space out of the folder that it was originally in (as what happens when you are stuffing a lot of clothes into a suitcase). The APK is the folder (somewhat) containing all files necessary for an install to your Android-based device.

ZIP files depending on what it is can be flash in recovery.
    APK is easy, like Action123 stated, using a file manager navigate to the file and click on it
    What exactly are you trying to install?
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by baseballfanz View Post
    ZIP files depending on what it is can be flash in recovery.
    APK is easy, like Action123 stated, using a file manager navigate to the file and click on it
    What exactly are you trying to install?
    He said that it is an application. You cannot install applications from rooting as it needs to verify that it is an OS or mainframe system tool (That is what flashing is used for). If you were to flash a file, yes it would need to be a .zip file.

I've on a few rare occasion have flashed applications since the dev put it in a zip form.:D
    ie this phone.apk [Phone Mod] Trackball Answer v5 (For FroYo and Gingerbread!) - xda-developers
    Like I say it's very rare that's why I ask what he's trying to install.
    Plus also a lot of files upload are zipped so the OP will need to unzip it to get the apk file out if that's the case
    Ne:nexusx:uS One ROOTED
    Cyanogen Mod Nightly ROM

Haha dude, you can just select that in the settings menu in Cyanogen.. Were getting sidetracked, I really wouldn't recommend that you install applications via a .zip format and flashing it as it is insecure.

Zip files could be absolutely anything. You can have flashable zips for installing anything from apps (like gapps, which install to /system and can't be installed by normal methods, our apps that also require framework and library updates, etc), to compete ROMs, radios, boot images etc...

What is the zip?
    Post a copy, our a link, and I'll take a look and see what's in it...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Guys ,
    i am planning to install that track ball answer app. its a zip file
    so how do i flash it ?

It says in the thread linked above to flash from recovery. You'll need to have a custom recovery installed, and just use the flash zip option from your recovery of choice...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

To enter recovery, reboot phone while holding down trackball. Once you see the white page with the Android guys on skateboards, use the volume buttons (Vol Up to scroll up, Vol down to scroll down) and use the Lock button (top of your device) to select. Locate recovery (Bootloader > Recovery) and select. From there, make sure the only zip on your card (you can locate it if you have a custom ROM) is the file you wish to flash. Flash it, and reboot. Danger-rat, Thanks for the info on flashing. I was unaware of that fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links