Simple SDK setup guide

This is a discussion on Simple SDK setup guide within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by danger-rat For me, the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) setup is the most arduous part of rooting a phone. The SDK is ...

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple SDK setup guide

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    For me, the Android SDK (Software Development Kit) setup is the most arduous part of rooting a phone. The SDK is intended for developing software on, and provides a lot of unnecessary files that you typically don't need to just hook your phone up to the PC. With that in mind, I've attempted to simplify the process.

You will also need to download the following file:
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

To set up the SDK:
    1. Download the file (above)
    2. Extract the file (I recommend C:\)
    3. That's it (but you will need to install the drivers for the phone)
    is there a mirror for the above file?

i can't access megaupload in my region.

many thanks.

i am still trying to understand:

1. how to root
    2. after root, how do i back up my stock rom (in case i want to come back to stock 2.2.2) (using nandroid?) (whats the difference between using nandroid and titanium backup?)
    3. how to I flash to a customary rom, such as CM7 (i would like to use 2.3.2, including apps2sdext)

I have been with android for a year already but i am still super new to rooting and etc.

anyone?

1. Ok well how to root you will need to read the first page of this thread to instal the SDK and then you will be able to use any method of root you want (superoneclick or unlocking the bootloader).

2. Ya you will need to do a nandroid backup I can explain to you have to do that later if you want. The difference between nandroid and titamium backup is that nandroid will backup everything exactly as it is including the ROM so if you restore a nandroid backup you will go back to that ROM as for titanium it is to backup it is so you can backup your apps and data and place them back into the new ROM you flash because when you flash a ROM you need to wipe you phone so there is nothing left.

3. You will be have to boot into recovery (or use ROM manager) and have the ROM on your SD card to be able to flash it.

Mirror, mirror on the wall...
    http://db.tt/cYw6JhU

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    1. Ok well how to root you will need to read the first page of this thread to instal the SDK and then you will be able to use any method of root you want (superoneclick or unlocking the bootloader).

2. Ya you will need to do a nandroid backup I can explain to you have to do that later if you want. The difference between nandroid and titamium backup is that nandroid will backup everything exactly as it is including the ROM so if you restore a nandroid backup you will go back to that ROM as for titanium it is to backup it is so you can backup your apps and data and place them back into the new ROM you flash because when you flash a ROM you need to wipe you phone so there is nothing left.

3. You will be have to boot into recovery (or use ROM manager) and have the ROM on your SD card to be able to flash it.
    Mirror, mirror on the wall...
    http://db.tt/cYw6JhU

thanks so much guys.
    rooted.
    the big big hurdle was "getting into adb mode" because i was using the new sdk R09 and the damn adb was moved from /tools to /platform-tools and I did not know it and was so frustrated that i couldn't do it at /tools

installed "titanium backup" and "ROM Manager"

questions:
    1. so I now understand whats titanium back up and nandroid. So nandroid the only way to back up the ROM (including every data)? How exactly do i do it? using adb? is it about backing up something called "image"?

2. I have ROM manager installed but before i can do anything, it always asks me to "Flash the clockworkmod recovery". What exactly is flashing that? is that going to affect my current ROM? I thought flashing something is like changing the ROM? And can I use that ROM manager to back up the so called "image" instead of using nandroid?

3. Will I be able to use ROM manager to flash new ROM (e.g. CM7)? Heard I can do that. Am I right?

Thanks for putting up.

The next thing you need to do is make a backup. Nandroid is just the term for the utility that does this. You can make a backup a number of different ways, via recovery, via rom manager, via adb etc. The first 2 options are possibly the most common, but both require a custom recovery.

Recovery is a very simple ROM, that has a few simple tasks you can perform through menu options. The stock recovery has less options than custom recovery, and is also limited to flashing official images. Custom recoveries let you bypass signature checks, so you can install non official images (custom ROMs).

The stock ROM will restore the stock recovery when it reboots, so you will have to delete 2 files before you reboot, or re install the recovery each time you reboot. Once you install a custom ROM, you will no longer have this problem.

The recommended clockwork recovery will only work on the older amoled screens. To be safe, I would recommend clockwork 2.5.1.4, which is available under the very last menu item in the ROM Manager first page (All Clockwork Recoveries).

I would make a Titanium backup of your apps and data first (menu, batch, backup all apps and data). These can be restored on any ROM, so out makes it easy to switch to new ROMs.

Once you have a Titanium backup, install the recovery I mentioned, then make a backup from the ROM Manager options. This will reboot the phone, and re install stock recovery.

Once you've done that, if you plan to instal any ROMs, you can re install clockwork recovery as before, then install the ROM. If you don't plan on of installing ROMs, you will probably only need recovery for making backups, so you will need to delete the two files I mentioned earlier...

The next thing you need to do is make a backup. Nandroid is just the term for the utility that does this. You can make a backup a number of different ways, via recovery, via rom manager, via adb etc. The first 2 options are possibly the most common, but both require a custom recovery.

Recovery is a very simple ROM, that has a few simple tasks you can perform through menu options. The stock recovery has less options than custom recovery, and is also limited to flashing official images. Custom recoveries let you bypass signature checks, so you can install non official images (custom ROMs).

The stock ROM will restore the stock recovery when it reboots, so you will have to delete 2 files before you reboot, or re install the recovery each time you reboot. Once you install a custom ROM, you will no longer have this problem.

The recommended clockwork recovery will only work on the older amoled screens. To be safe, I would recommend clockwork 2.5.1.4, which is available under the very last menu item in the ROM Manager first page (All Clockwork Recoveries).

I would make a Titanium backup of your apps and data first (menu, batch, backup all apps and data). These can be restored on any ROM, so out makes it easy to switch to new ROMs.

Once you have a Titanium backup, install the recovery I mentioned, then make a backup from the ROM Manager options. This will reboot the phone, and re install stock recovery.

Once you've done that, if you plan to instal any ROMs, you can re install clockwork recovery as before, then install the ROM. If you don't plan on of installing ROMs, you will probably only need recovery for making backups, so you will need to delete the two files I mentioned earlier...

very detailed. thanks.
    it is going to take me some time to make sense of it.

ok, step one, backing up current rom.
    so I started ROM manager and followed your step to Flash into the most current ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.1.4 and it is fine.
    Next thing I do was to choose "Backup Current ROM" but it rebooted and gave me the "Triangle" with "!" again. Thats all. Did I do something wrong? I am on an N1 (of course) 2.2.2

That's the stock recovery. Looks like it restored...
    Try again few times, and if it doesn't work we'll have to delete the two files I mentioned...

That's the stock recovery. Looks like it restored...
    Try again few times, and if it doesn't work we'll have to delete the two files I mentioned...

it works the second time i tried.
    thanks so much for help....

now i am rooted, next step is, whether i should flash a CM7 2.3.2.
    not sure if its stable enough.

First, go find these two files on your phone and delete them (Root Explorer is the easiest way)...

/system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    /system/recovery-from-boot.p

First, go find these two files on your phone and delete them (Root Explorer is the easiest way)...

/system/etc/install-recovery.sh
    /system/recovery-from-boot.p

your a stud dude!
    I am coming here when I decide to root my nexus one (still holding out for gingerbread).

thanks for all the information!

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links