Various questions from a rooted noob

This is a discussion on Various questions from a rooted noob within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Some of these are Germans so please forgive. 1. What are the advantages of unlocking the bootloader? 2. Have CM6. Would like to try CM7 ...

Thread: Various questions from a rooted noob

Various questions from a rooted noob

Some of these are Germans so please forgive.

1. What are the advantages of unlocking the bootloader?

2. Have CM6. Would like to try CM7 which believe is nightlies. Is it all OTA s or do you have to dl them and flash? I'm not really wanting to put too much effort into it.

3. I'm using ROM Manager. Other than the obvious fact it helps the Dev, is the paid version worth it? I do see it has nightlies.

4. What is kernels? Is it a ROM or an addition. Is it something I'm ready to flash/try?

5. I'm really interested in MIUI but am having trouble finding the dl on xda forums. Help?

6. Sense. Where do I find it?

7. Do any of these require flashing radios? Not sure I'm ready for that yet.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

1 - Unlocking the bootloader lets you use fastboot commands (from a PC). Fastboot only needs the phone to be in bootloader to work. Other methods require the phone to no be booted in either recovery or system to work. It can help you out if you get into a real bind...

2 - The CM7 nightlies are download and flash. The OTAs are just notifications, which let you decide if you want to download and flash.

3 - You get added features, but I can't remember what they are. I think the ability to flash files in succession is one very useful feature...

4 - Kernels deal with interfaces between hardware and software, and let you overclock, or use fm radio, etc. Most ROMs include a compatible kernel, so you only need to change if you want something extra as an add on...

5 - Sorry, maybe someone else can help...

6 - Sense is the add on that HTC use on all their devices, that includes extra widgets, etc. Its also available in a number of modded ROMs. It only works with Sense compatible ROMs, because of how it is integrated with the ROM framework (meaning, it's either included with the ROM, or it isn't, you can't add it).

7 - The official Google radio for the N1 is 4.06, and is capable of anything. You only need to switch radios to try and fix any problems you may have, IF you have any problems...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Good Stuff there. Thank you Danger-Rat!

I would Recommend this MIUI Rom right here
    [ROM] RoDrIgUeZsTyLe™ MIUIMOD [v2.5.3] BLAZING FAST & ROCK STABLE [01/20/11] - xda-developers
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Thanks! There's a thread here on this one. I'd seen the MOD from the guy in Switerland ( I think), but it seemed to be a bettery drainer....that's a deal breaker for me!

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Thanks! There's a thread here on this one. I'd seen the MOD from the guy in Switerland ( I think), but it seemed to be a bettery drainer....that's a deal breaker for me!
    I say go with CM7. Its fun!

Does anybody know if I can use Rom Manager/ClockworkMod for this? It's just so much easier, especially with no Internet for my PC outside of tethering my phone. I'm real scared of paying the $5 for an app that doesn't work. The recent reviews are not good and many on here are saying once they upgraded it they had to re-format their SD card because it was locking up when they would flash a rom from it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Does anybody know if I can use Rom Manager/ClockworkMod for this? It's just so much easier, especially with no Internet for my PC outside of tethering my phone. I'm real scared of paying the $5 for an app that doesn't work. The recent reviews are not good and many on here are saying once they upgraded it they had to re-format their SD card because it was locking up when they would flash a rom from it.
    If you google around, u will read many unfortunate incidents with using that, not that RM is no good but idk it just happens.

I just stick to Amon_RA Recovery till one day we are forced to use it.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links