clockwork recovery issue

This is a discussion on clockwork recovery issue within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; This is one of the many things to love about MIUI. It has a backup built right in. It sucks that every time I wipe ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: clockwork recovery issue

This is one of the many things to love about MIUI. It has a backup built right in. It sucks that every time I wipe CM I have to go through loading all my apps through titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Depends on how similar the ROMs are really...

I know a lot of people just wipe cache and dalvik when updating to a newer version of the same ROM. If you ever start getting errors, or weird behavior, you can always boot back into recover and wipe again...
    Cool! I never knew that. There's another 'problem' of being a slave to the utilities and not knowing how the stuff really works. It certainly made my life easier to come back to a system with all my stuff as I left it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Depends on how similar the ROMs are really...

I know a lot of people just wipe cache and dalvik when updating to a newer version of the same ROM. If you ever start getting errors, or weird behavior, you can always boot back into recover and wipe again...
    Cool! I never knew that. There's another 'problem' of being a slave to the utilities and not knowing how the stuff really works. It certainly made my life easier to come back to a system with all my stuff as I left it.
    Hey Danger,

3 questions:
    1. This is a stupid question, but when I "wipe cache" in CWM am I going to select "wipe cache partition" or "wipe data/factory reset?" I know I use wipe dalvic cache when using Amon Ra.

2. I've been trying to flash a saved (SD Card) MIUI ROM and it keeps looping. When I flash CM6.1.1 and CM7 I have no problem... I'm not wiping, because I'm afraid of wiping the wrong thing (see above question). I can't remember whether I was using Amon Ra, CWM 2.4.1.5 or CWM 3.0.5... I've tried both CW Mods, but not Amon Ra. Is the problem because I haven't wiped?

3. If I use Amon Ra to flash a ROM, will I need to use it everytime I flash that ROM or a backup of it?

Sorry, been playing with my Nook all weekend... xD

1 - wipe cache will wipe all the temporary storage, like webpages that have been stored so that they will load faster next time. Good idea when switching ROMs, because it's just taking up space. Wipe data (factory reset) well wipe everything except the actual ROM, so you will lose apps, settings, SMS, everything...

2 - Switching between two very different ROMs like MIUI and Cyanogen, I would wipe everything, because they may not be compatible. Use Titanium to transfer anything you want to keep. Wiping dalvik and even system may even help...

3 - any archive/backup needs to be restored with the same recovery that created it. You can backup with any recovery, it doesn't matter which recovery was used to install it...

I always wipe everything when I flash aROM. I'm actually getting to the point that I rely more on my Titanium than on the nandroid, since with Titanium, I can recreate amy ROM from scratch...

Hope this makes sense?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Not confusing at all, danger.

When I backup a ROM...everything (system), it will remain when I reload the backup...even after a clean wipe... correct?

What about wipe dalvic cache? What does it do differently? Ifoind it on CWM and thought it was just among RA.

When I restore a backup from recovery I wipe and then go bacck to recovery and install...that is the correct order of process. Correct?

Backups restored through recovery will restore everything, even after a wipe.

Dalvik rebuilds itself when you boot the phone, so wiping it doesn't hurt, and even help if theres corrupt data...

When I restore a backup, I do a factory reset and then restore the backup all through recovery. I've got into the habit of doing a factory reset everytime, just sad a sort of house keeping thing, but it's not a always necessary...

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Thanks. It really helps me a lot to understand what I'm doing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links