root only apps and loosing root

This is a discussion on root only apps and loosing root within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I understand that when you loose root you loose access to apps that require super user access to run. what happens if you have an ...

Thread: root only apps and loosing root

root only apps and loosing root

I understand that when you loose root you loose access to apps that require super user access to run.

what happens if you have an application that has altered the way something is supposed to function by default.

For instance, Move2SD is an application that enables you to move applications to the SD card that under normal circumstances can't be moved. I know you have to be careful with this since some application shouldn't be moved to the SD card under any circumstances (apps with widgets for instance). But lets say you were to use this application to move some applications to the SD card, and then you were to loose root, what would happen to those applications you forced to be moved to the SD card? Would they cease to function? Or continue to work as if nothing has changed?

I guess my biggest concern is if you were to loose root, is there any chance of a negative side effect in terms of an application the requires root access locking the phone because it is trying to run and can't?
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I don't think there's a problem Bourne. You just won't be able to open the app because it won't have access to the files necessary for the app to run.

thank you dude!
    wasn't sure.
    think i am going to go ahead and give move2sd enabler and see how it runs.
    i tried it is on my g1 and it was pretty awesome!

I was just reading titanium backups feature list and I noticed that it has an "app freezer"

I was reading that freezing apps such as Amazon, and the native twitter app is better then uninstalling them because if you uninstall them you will no longer receive OTA updates. Is there any truth to this?

And is anyone using the "app freezer" option?
    Does it just prevent the application from doing anything on the phone like receiving updates?

The native twitter app on my nexus one has been trying in vein to get me to update it, but I refuse!

The updates perform a system check before updating, which has historically included checking for certain apps (among other things).
    If the check fails, the update won't install...

You can modify the script in the update zip to remove these checks. But tampering with the file will remove the Google signature, so you will have to turn off signature verification in recovery to allow you to flash...

I remember reading about signature checks when I was looking at how to flash google's latest update.
    Amon_RA custom recovery I guess has signature verification disable by default.

This is interesting though.
    As far as I can tell Amazon and Twitter don't do all that much other then take up space, so I think I might just leave them alone.

thank you for the info though!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links