I want to back up my N1 before HTC repair, Need to root?

This is a discussion on I want to back up my N1 before HTC repair, Need to root? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi, My phone was run over by a car and the glass needs to be replaced (phone works fine). I'm about to send it to ...

Thread: I want to back up my N1 before HTC repair, Need to root?

I want to back up my N1 before HTC repair, Need to root?

Hi,
    My phone was run over by a car and the glass needs to be replaced (phone works fine). I'm about to send it to HTC for repair, but want to back up my installed applications because a lot of the applications I use are old versions and I don't want to upgrade to the latest versions if they erase my phone during repair.

I've never rooted the phone before. It has GB 2.3.4 installed. I'm running Windows 7.

What are my options?

Can I back up my system without root access?

If I need root access, can I get root access on a Nexus One that is on 2.3.4 and has never been rooted before (and has no custom recovery)? Is there an instructional thread out there for my situation?

I tried http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-windows.html, but the process doesn't seem to work. I did seem to get the sdk installed. But when I run "adb devices" in the windows 7 command prompt window from the sdk\tools directory, the "list of devices attached" is blank. But if I run fastboot devices, it lists my device.

I'm not all that interested in rooting, I have enough to do in my life without having to further my addiction to my phone. I have a hard enough time putting it down now, I can't begin to imagine all the time I'll spend if I start fooling around with all the versions of android roms out there. I'm afraid my fiance might consider leaving me. lol But it is really important to me to back up my phone before I send it to HTC.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

oops, nevermind. I think. It seems to be working now. I didn't realize I had to reboot the phone after installing the SDK to normal mode. Or should I have rebooted the phone back into fastboot mode?

I was able to push all the files, change permissions, and GingerBreak is running now (?). Been going for a couple of minutes.

The instructions need a little more detail.
    - What should I see after I run "adb devices"? Now I know, but it was confusing.

- Need to tell user what to do inbetween installing the SDK and going on to the instructions in the next post.

- A complete list of what should happen when running GingerBreak should be shown. So far my cmd window shows

[**] Gingerbreak/Honeybomb -- android 2.[2,3], 3.o softbreak
    [+] Plain Gingerbread mode!
    [+] found system: 0xafd17ea1 strcmp; 0xafd37b35
    [+] Found PT_DYNAMIC of size 232 (29 entries)
    [+] Found GOT: 0x00014344
    [+] Using device /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0[*] vold: 0063 GOT start: 0x00014344 GOT end: 0x00014384

and now it is sitting there, no prompt yet, been waiting a few minutes. What's next?

Ok, I reread the instructions. They do say to reboot into fastboot mode. But when I do that, adb commands don't work. If I run adb devices, the list is blank. I only see my device with the adb command if I boot into regular phone mode. As noted, in that mode, I was able to run all the commands and got the above result. Except it never came back to shell mode with a #. So I'm confused. Should I try to boot into regular mode and run the commands again and be more patient this time? I think I waited at least 5 minutes.

The Gingerbreak exploit doesn't work for 2.3.4.

Your best option would be to use MyBackup Pro from the market...

Thanks, just what I needed.
    Ultimately, I would like to root someday. When I can find some time...

Anyone got any time I could have?

Lol - have you tried eBay?

I have found that Craig's List has better deals on time

Time is the Fire in which we burn!

~Delmore Schwartz,
    "Calmly We Walk Through This April's Day," 1937
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

In the words of the great Tommy Chong on one of the Cheech and Chongqing albums. When asked if he wanted the buy a watch he said, " um.... I'm not in to time, man."

Talk about hijacking a thread :rofl3:
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links