[A noobs road to rooting] Rooting 2.3.3 - Updating to 2.3.4 and keeping root

This is a discussion on [A noobs road to rooting] Rooting 2.3.3 - Updating to 2.3.4 and keeping root within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; This will be a small guide on the steps that I followed to root stock Ginger 2.3.3 and then update to 2.3.4 and KEEP root. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [A noobs road to rooting] Rooting 2.3.3 - Updating to 2.3.4 and keeping root

[A noobs road to rooting] Rooting 2.3.3 - Updating to 2.3.4 and keeping root

This will be a small guide on the steps that I followed to root stock Ginger 2.3.3
    and then update to 2.3.4 and KEEP root.

I by no means take any credit for any of the information below, I pooled the
    information from a bunch of different sources and from responses I received
    from questions I asked myself.

PART 1 - What you will need:

PLEASE NOTE: The things listed below are the tools that I have used and are not necessarily required in all instances.

1.)
    Install Android SDK and test it. Since the information on how to install this is readily available I will not go into how to install this.
    Here is a link though that details the installation procedure. Follow it step by step and you will get it installed and working. I followed this myself and it is working correctly.

2.)
    If you don't already have an account on the XDA developers website I suggest you get one. Any apks/downloads will more then likely come from here and you will need an account to access them.

3.)
    Download the Gingerbreak APK from this post
    Direct link to GingerBreak-v1.20.apk

4.)
    Download Amon_RA custom recovery image from here
    I used version: 1.9.0-alpha
    But this should work with version 2.2.1

5.)
    Download flash_image from here
    You should should see it mentioned during the tutorial and a link is provided to download it.

6.)
    Download the gingerbread 2.3.4 update
    (original post: Nexus One 2.3.4 OTA link!!! - xda-developers)

7.)
    Download [APP] Superuser 2.3.6.1 - Now on the Market [2010-09-05] - xda-developers

PART 2 - Getting Root Access

PLEASE NOTE: I first was able to gain root access on the stock gingerbread rom 2.3.3. It was this that enabled me to maintain my root access when I updated to 2.3.4. IF you have ALREADY updated to gingerbread 2.3.4, this isn't going to work for you and you will likely have to wait until a new exploit is found in 2.3.4

1.)
    Before going any further lets get a backup of your SD card.
    Mount your SD card to your computer and copy EVERYTHING from your
    SD card to a safe place on your computer (preferably one you can find again later).
    This is just a precaution in case your SD card is erased during the steps to follow.
    My SD card was never erased, but I ended up having to do a restore of my backup because none of the apps I had moved to my SD card were showing up on the phone anymore.

2.)
    The gingerbreak apk that was downloaded in PART 1 step 3 needs to be moved to your SD card.
    Mount your SD card to your computer and copy it to the ROOT of your SD card. The ROOT meaning not in any subdirectories.
    Then unmount your SD card from the computer.

3.)
    Enable "USB debugging"
    This can be accomplished by doing the following:
    Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > Check "USB debugging"

4.)
    Make sure that "Unknown sources" is enabled.
    This can be accomplished by doing the following:
    Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > Check "Unknown sources"

5.)
    Get a file system explorer such as es explorer and use it to view your SD card.
    On the SD card you should see your gingerbreak apk file.
    Click on it to install it.

6.)
    Find the ginger app in your app drawer.
    Launch the app and click "Root"

7.)
    Now wait, you will see it working on the screen.
    After a few minutes your phone should reboot.

8.)
    Upon rebooting go to your app drawer and look for the "Superuser" app.
    If it is there you are rooted.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

- The Gingerbreak app says its working now for longer then 15 minutes -
    This happened to me - don't panic, as it is not the end of the world.
    This is what I had to do to fix this.

* Pull the battery from the phone
    * Turn your phone back on
    * If you have a spare SD card, place this into your phone before turning your phone back on
    * If you do not have a spare SD card, format your current SD card (don't worry we made a backup of it already in PART 2 - step 1)
    * Re-run the Gingerbreak app

When I did this, the gingerbreak app rebooted the phone in under 20 seconds and when it rebooted I superuser access (root)

Please refer to this thread for any other issues you may have. I would suggest reading some of the posts before running the app just so you can be better prepared for what you might face.

================================

That concludes the method that I used to root stock Gingerbread 2.3.3.
    You can also follow danger-rats manual method which also works very well!

PART 3 - ROOT is ours, but here comes update 2.3.4

PLEASE NOTE: This again is the method that I found worked best for me and may not necessarily apply to your situation.

Before we start make another backup of your SD card just in case!
    I made a couple of backups as I went along JUST in case something happened (I was a bit paranoid ha ). this is completely optional and may not necessarily apply to you.

1.)
    Make sure that the adb commands are working correctly and that your phone can be seen by the adb commands.
    I found this to be helpful:
    Windows + r > Run dialog box type: run > then type command below
    Code:
    adb devices
    If you get some kind of an error then adb isn't seeing the phone correctly and you should double check your install

2.)
    Rename the stock gingerbread update 2.3.4 to update.zip downloaded in PART 1 - STEP 6
    IMPORTANT Microsoft likes to hide the extensions of commonly used files. When you rename the update you only have to type "update" (without quotes). If you type "update.zip" you will mess up the file format and your update will more then likely not work.

If you want to see the file name with extension in Windows Explorer do the following (For Windows 7, pm me for instructions in Windows XP, they are basically the same):

* Open Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer)
    * Click Organize (Top left corner)
    * Folders and Search Options
    * Click the "view" tab
    * Uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types"

3.)
    Mount your phones SD card to your computer

4.)
    Copy the stock Gingerbread update 2.3.4 to the ROOT of your SD card

5.)
    Copy the flash_image file downloaded in PART 1 - Step 5 to the ROOT of your SD card

6.)
    Copy the Amon_RA custom recovery downloaded in PART 1 - Step 4 to the ROOT of your SD card

7.)
    At this point you can unmount your SD card from your computer. But leave it plugged in. Make sure you have turned of the USB storage option on your phone.

8.)
    Now we get into the command line stuff.
    The following commands can ALL be run from your Windows command line
    window with no problems.

I should mention that I did NOT have busybox installed.
    All the commands I issued below still worked though.
    Not sure if anyone can confirm for me if it is better to install busybox before moving forward.

Code:
    adb shell
    $su
    #mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    #cp /sdcard/flash_image /system/bin/flash_image
    #chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
    #flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    #mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.old 
    #mv /system/recovery-from-boot.p /system/recovery-from-boot.p.old
    #mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    #reboot recovery
    (Credits for this go hungryTux from xda forums)

I should also mention that when you type the command "su" you will have to check your phone. I was getting a prompt from the superuser app asking if I wanted to grant permissions for the "su" command to run and grant root access. Select allow and you should now gain root access on the command line.

Type the commands above out exactly as you see them!

You might also want to look at this
    This is a fix created by danger-rat to make sure that your custom recovery is not flashed back to stock at each start up. I am pretty sure this is optional though, and a custom recovery can always be reflashed at a later date. You will have to copy this to your SD card as well.

9.)
    As soon as you type the command "reboot recovery"
    Your phone will reboot into recovery mode where you will see the custom recovery we flashed in PART 3 - Step 8

10.)
    Using your track ball, highlight the option "Flash zip from sdcard"
    And click the track ball to select

11.)
    You should see two zip files
    1 - update.zip
    2 - su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip
    3 - (Optionally) you would see the recovery fix zip file ( I won't be covering this much as I have yet to actually flash this)

Using the track ball again select the update.zip and flash it.

You should see your phone working away

12.)
    Once the flashing of the update.zip is done.... STOP!
    DO NOT REBOOT YOUR PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you reboot your phone at this point you will lose your chance to maintain root!

Select the "Flash zip from sdcard" again and this time select the
    su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip file.

13.)
    Once the installation is done, you can now select the option to reboot your phone.

When your phone is done rebooting, go into your app drawer and you should see the Superuser app. If it is there and you can access it, you should still have root access to your phone.

=====================================

This basically sums up everything I learned and used in order to root my phone when on stock gingerbread rom version 2.3.3 and then maintain root access when updating to gingerbread 2.3.4.

This may not be the best method, but it is the method that successfully worked for me.
    .:. phoneStats .:.
    .:. Nexus One
    .:. version 2.3.4
    .:. build number GRJ22
    .:. ROOT - Stock Gingerbread img
    .:. Update from Gingerbread 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and maintain root

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Bourne! Thanks a mil.

I'm gonna have a read and maybe give it a go. Just wanna make sure others aren't bricking their phones with this latest OTA. Appreciate you taking the time and sharing your wisdom!

Have a most excellent night.

I know it's a little long winded, I'm sorry for that. I just wanted to make sure I covered as much as I could.

I had the same concern about bricking my phone. I haven't seen any reports of people doing this doing an update, but theres always a chance.

I think the most dangerous part is when your flash the custom recovery. If that gets interrupted it can cause problems. But it happens so fast I think you should be good.

Let me know if this helped you out at all!

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

This is great!!!

thank you again sir!
    If you notice anything wrong please let me know!

Also, I think I am going to modify it to include your zip file for the custom recovery fix.
    I noticed on my phone that even though I used the 'mv' commands to rename 'install-recovery.sh' and 'recovery-from-boot.p', the stock image still put those files back in.. so I will have to modify to include that step for people that wish to keep their custom recovery intact. - thinking about it as I write this it actually makes sense why this happened!

Cheers

You can also delete the recovery image from the update zip before you flash it, and that will stop your recovery from being overwritten...

hmm I think I might start a "Additional things to consider" section to include some of the other points that come up such as thing one.

As future updates come, will it be possible to continue to update using this method as long as google doesn't make any drastic changes?

I am very new to Andriod.

I have Nexus S phone. When i updated my Nexus S from 2.3.1 to 2.3.4 all my settings were gone. Will it happen usually. Tell me the steps i need to follow whenever an update happens.

Your help is highly appreciated.

That is pretty weird.
    I am pretty sure that when an OTA update comes down the message that pops up even says that your settings and information will be preserved. How did you do your update?

Just out of curiosity, what settings did you lose?

If you lost your launcher settings, that I think is normal. You should just be able to select whatever launcher you were using and it will bring your settings back.

But if you lost additional settings, like apps and things like that. It could be maybe that something got messed up on your SD card. Making a backup of the SD card is always a good idea.

A backup of the SD card can be done by just copying all of its contents to a directory on your computer.

Then to restore the backup, just copy the contents back onto the SD card. And if necessary overwrite any files that exist.
    - fail!

=========================

sorry I forgot about that!

NS doesn't have an SD...

How did you do the update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast