Help to root Nexus One on 2.3.4 [Beginner]

This is a discussion on Help to root Nexus One on 2.3.4 [Beginner] within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi there I Have :nexusx: Nexus One running 2.3.4 and I want to ROOT it so I can install some ROMs. It doesn't have unlocked ...

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help to root Nexus One on 2.3.4 [Beginner]

Help to root Nexus One on 2.3.4 [Beginner]

Hi there I Have :nexusx: Nexus One running 2.3.4 and I want to ROOT it so I can install some ROMs. It doesn't have unlocked bootloader and it's just regular nexus running stock OS.

I'am new to rooting and would like step by step instructions because I like my nexy and don't want to brick it.

I would like someone to help me unlock bootloader and root the phone.

Thank You

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Check out this thread this will show you how to set up the SDK on your computer then how to root without unlocking the bootloader (for android 2.3.3 and below) so to root you can either roll back to a previous version using passimg or unlock the bootloader. Your choice you come back to me on that one.

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-windows.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    Check out this thread this will show you how to set up the SDK on your computer then how to root without unlocking the bootloader (for android 2.3.3 and below) so to root you can either roll back to a previous version using passimg or unlock the bootloader. Your choice you come back to me on that one.

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-windows.html
    That sounds good
    Have some questions
    1. Is there is a program that does root for 2.3.3 if I'll downgrade
    2. Should I unlock The Bootloader

1. Superoneclick has the gingerbreak exploit so yes you can root 2.3.3 with it but if you downgrade then you will be on frg33 (2.2.1) so you can use superoneclick with the rageagainstthecage exploit.

2. It's really a choice, unlocking the bootloader will void your warranty (if you have any left) and will wipe data (but so will passimg so either way you will lose your data). But you will have fastboot access after that which gives you more options later on but most everything can be done with recovery so it really doesn't mater.

Okay don't want to sound lazy but I am very confused with most of the guides that google finds for me. I think a straight talk might help me here.
    My Present situation:
    -Nexus One
    -GB 2.3.4 (stock,received via OTA)
    -Unlocked Bootloader

I want:
    -root access only for a few apps
    -receive OTA updates when they are available

Don't want:
    -custom rom
    -custom anything
    -Downgrade(but will consider if extremely necessary or is the only option)

I think someone can help or point me to something less complex and a lot of less "this might work on 2.3.4 but not sure,downgrade to 2.3.3..."

Thanks

Ok well since your bootloader is unlocked you don't need to downgrade anything. The first thing you need to do is to set up the SDK on your computer. Just follow the first post of this thread. http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-windows.html

After you do that I'll explain what to do after.

Smile

Ok well since your bootloader is unlocked you don't need to downgrade anything. The first thing you need to do is to set up the SDK on your computer. Just follow the first post of this thread. http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...e-windows.html

After you do that I'll explain what to do after.
    Hey I acutally managed to root it. Since my bootloader was unlocked,a poster named danger_rat from xda had the easiest way I have ever seen.
    My steps were:
    -flash a custom revoery image,I used clockworkmod as ra seems to fail sometimes
    -copy su.zip(signed) in sd and flash it
    Voila! I have a rooted phone.

Hey thanks for your enthusiasm though. Android sdk is an awesome tool for every android owner(download the zip one not the installer,installer always fails to detect the java!).

Thanks again.

danger-rat?
    I wouldn't trust that guy!!! xD

Ok well I'm glad you got it resolved but how did you flash the recovery cause that is exactly what I was going to tell you to do, fastboot flash Amon RA (now I don't know where you heard that Amon RA was unstable cause it's clockwork mod 3.x that is unstable Amon RA is fine) then flash su from recovery. But did you set up the SDK or did you find some other way to flash a recovery without root :confused:

Smile

Ok well I'm glad you got it resolved but how did you flash the recovery cause that is exactly what I was going to tell you to do, fastboot flash Amon RA (now I don't know where you heard that Amon RA was unstable cause it's clockwork mod 3.x that is unstable Amon RA is fine) then flash su from recovery. But did you set up the SDK or did you find some other way to flash a recovery without root :confused:
    Hey I had the android-sdk in my PC from the first day I got my N1. I didn't say Amon Ra(damn egyptian gods) is unstable,I just followed the recommendation to use clockworkmod. The flashing,well its simple,connect the N1,check if the device is there and then use the fastboot recovery recovery.img,thats simple,didn't need any root access to flash the recovery image.

Thanks

Question: Which was the last version that had the nice white notification bar? I miss that white bar and blue battery,seriously hating the disgusting black notification bar of 2.3.4 . I wouldn't mind to downgrade to get that white notification bar back until some serious super fix updates come out. Thanks

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links