Rooting Nexus S

This is a discussion on Rooting Nexus S within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Just realized - I didn't post the link earlier: [GUIDE] Step by Step ROOT Nexus S via ClockworkMod Recovery image (i9023 and i9020A) - xda-developers...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rooting Nexus S

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    Yeah that's what I've been using, it's been really very helpful.

The only problem now is for whatever reason I can't seem to install any recovery images. I always get the "error: cannot load 'img name.img'" message.

update

It worked finally. I moved the recovery image to platform-tools and also copied over fastboot.exe to that folder, and did it from that directory without the "..\tools\fastboot.exe" .. and for whatever reason it worked this time. I'll update once I've made more progress (or get stalled again).

Ok I've completed all steps successfully except I was not able to use adb push to throw the signed zip file to root my phone. I had to go through Windows to edit the file I wanted to edit.

Now that my phone is rooted though, can I just edit what I need to from the phone? because ADB still won't work, I get the message "error: device not found' which implies the phone, though connected via USB, is not found for adb purposes.

fastboot communicates with the bootloader when the phone is in fastboot mode.
    adb communicates with the adb daemon (adbd) while the phone is in either recovery or fully booted.

Is the phone in recovery, or fully booted? If not, adb won't work...

fully booted, but I still get that error message.

Currently I'm trying to switch USB ports and install ADB drivers from the SDK.

How does the phone show up in the device manager (assuming you're using Windows)?

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    How does the phone show up in the device manager (assuming you're using Windows)?
    Good assumption ;-), I'm using Win7 64-bit.

That's the confusing part now. Previous to rooting it showed up as one thing, almost at the top of Device Manager.

Now? I hope ImageShack is ok

EDIT:

I've also installed a telnet like app directly on the phone, hit "su" and a menu popped up asking me if I want to give the app super user status, which I said yes to, and then I tried to edit an internal file but it still says "permission denied."

so either the custom recovery installation of the signed zip file that should give me root access didn't work, or .. I don't know.

Interesting...

Have you tried right clicking, and forcing the driver update?

Yeah .. I tried to do that but it won't let me. I just reboot into the bootloader and this is how it shows up in Device Manager now.

I'd try to reboot the phone and the PC and see how it connects.
    It may be the right driver, but just not connecting for some reason...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links