Rooting Nexus S

This is a discussion on Rooting Nexus S within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey guys, doing a little research right now. I've had my Nexus One rooted and working great for a while now. This Sunday they are ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooting Nexus S

Rooting Nexus S

Hey guys, doing a little research right now. I've had my Nexus One rooted and working great for a while now. This Sunday they are claiming I can pick up a new Nexus S for AT&T for $100 at Best Buy. But I'm a little unsure what works and doesn't work to root the Nexus S.

I'm going to assume that the model is i9020A since you can get an unlocked one now and have it work with AT&T. So I found this tutorial that has a good step by step on how to unlock the Bootloader and install Superuser. Sounds all good, but I'm not %100 sure if it will work with 2.3.4 or if it will restore the stock Bootloader back. Any of you more knowledgeable rooters have any suggestions on what to do or if this will work?

[GUIDE] Step by Step ROOT Nexus S via ClockworkMod Recovery image (i9023 and i9020A) - xda-developers

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

The guide unlocks your bootloader, which is the "official" way to root the Nexus phones. You will be good to go with this...

Unlocking the bootloader basically breaks the security on the bootloader, allowing it to install non-official (signed) images. You can then use it to install a custom recovery, which you then use to install the su binary or install a custom ROM...

Quote Originally Posted by danger-rat View Post
    The guide unlocks your bootloader, which is the "official" way to root the Nexus phones. You will be good to go with this...

Unlocking the bootloader basically breaks the security on the bootloader, allowing it to install non-official (signed) images. You can then use it to install a custom recovery, which you then use to install the su binary or install a custom ROM...
    Cool, so when I install the su binary there won't be any script on the stock image to flash back the recovery or anything like that right?

There probably is a script.
    I wrote this to kill the script on the N1, but it will probably work for the NS, also.
    Just flash from recovery, and it will kill the script:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11996227/Fix-Recovery.zip

There probably is a script.
    I wrote this to kill the script on the N1, but it will probably work for the NS, also.
    Just flash from recovery, and it will kill the script:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11996227/Fix-Recovery.zip
    Thanks! I downloaded it and added it to all my tools to get it rooted. Now I just have to wait on Best Buy to open up Sunday and let me buy one. They probably have them now in back somewhere...

Success!!! I picked up my new Nexus S this morning and took about 5 minutes or so to get it all rooted up.

new to rooting

I hope someone can help me with this issue. I am new to rooting.

I've owned a Nexus One AT&T variant for over a year now, I bought it straight from Google.

Now that the Nexus S is available on contrat on AT&T I decided to buy that too. However I don't like the limitations set on the OS by AT&T, like the no Video Chat over 3G. I am interested in rooting and then hopefully editing this one file that would let me have video chat capabilities on AT&T.

However I downloaded an "SU" zip file and tried to boot into that with recovery mode, and the e-signature was not approved or something so it failed.

Would you mind explaining how you rooted this particular phone. And would it be easier to root and then edit the necessary files to enable video chat over 3G, or would it be easier to root and then throw the official Google 2.3.4 build that would enable 3G video chat? I don't know if that's even possible.

EDIT:
    The instructions linked to at the top of this thread .. are they to install a specific ROM (which I don't want to do) or are all those steps the correct way to simply root (so that I can gain access to internal storage and edit said file above)?

Is your bootloader locked, or unlocked?
    Do you have a custom recovery installed (which one)?

Is your bootloader locked, or unlocked?
    Do you have a custom recovery installed (which one)?
    Thanks for the reply.

My bootloader is locked. The phone is as it was when I first got it from Best Buy save for the apps I have installed.

I am interested in rooting the phone, but keeping the stock Gingerbread software. I am trying to make it so that I can conduct video chats over 3G.

In order to use recovery to flash/install non-official files for your phone (the su zip), you need a custom recovery. In order to install a custom recovery you need to be either rooted, or have an unlocked bootloader. That's why you are getting a signature verification error, because the file you are trying to flash is not Google software...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links