Super Noob Guide to Unlocking Bootloader, MoDaCo's ROM, Amon_RA's Recovery

This is a discussion on Super Noob Guide to Unlocking Bootloader, MoDaCo's ROM, Amon_RA's Recovery within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; February 2010: Updated guide goes through Amon_RA's Recovery Image, lists links to some other ROMS now available since original posting. 3/18/2010: Included additional links to ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super Noob Guide to Unlocking Bootloader, MoDaCo's ROM, Amon_RA's Recovery

Talking Super Noob Guide to Unlocking Bootloader, Amon_RA's Recovery, List of ROMS, etc

February 2010: Updated guide goes through Amon_RA's Recovery Image, lists links to some other ROMS now available since original posting.

3/18/2010: Included additional links to extra cool things you can do with your successfully rooted phone! Thanks for leaving great comments I'm glad this thread is helpful for a lot of folks!

I went through all the forums and guides over at MoDaCo only to find out that SimonNWalker had put it all together and compressed it over at androidspin.

NOTE: FOR ALL SECTIONS
    I dumbed down the sections a lot more and simplified them by removing all the extra long infos. I put some extra additions in the beginning for super noobs because some may not know to install the Android SDK. For all instructions I also made the installation windows specific at the beginning and assumed root drive as "C:"
    Also added some extra instructions for those not familiar with command prompt basics. If you know all this then you should have no problem picking and choosing which directions not to follow. If you have no idea, just follow the directions

• It is crucial for you to understand what each thing does. I just deleted all the descriptions/update log bc they were long. But a link is associated to each instruction.
    • I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR ANY OF THIS. I just thought others here may either need all instructions together or need more simplified instructions

The Steps involved are:

1. Unlock Your Bootloader (From MoDaCo)
    2. Install Amon_RA's Recovery Image (From Amon_RA)
    3. Install MoDaCo ROM, and copy it to your SD card
    4. Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup
    5. Install MoDaCo ROM to N1

Your Nexus One is now enhanced

The guides for each of these steps are shown below:

Unlock Your Bootloader
    (THIS WILL DELETE YOUR DATA - Make sure contacts/app info are all safely backed up on Google/Computer; Purchased Apps and most other free apps Remain in Android Market acct)
    Original Source and Information: MoDaCo

• Download and Install Android SDK
    • Extract "android-sdk-windows" and rename folder to "android"
    • Move folder to root directory (so it would be C:\android)
    • Open folder and run "SDK Setup" and update your USB Drive (should be USB Driver Package, Revision 3) Update should be automatic
    • Boot your phone into fastboot mode (power on while holding trackball)
    • Connect your phone via usb to your pc
    • Run a command prompt (Start>Run>type 'cmd')
    • Type 'cd C:/android/tools' (no quotes)
    • Type 'fastboot oem unlock'
    Amon_RA's Recovery Image (A MUST for backing up your N1)
    Original Source and Information: XDA

Requires an unlocked bootloader!

• Download recovery-RA-nexus-v1.5.3.img
    • Copy recovery-RA-nexus-v1.5.3.img
    • Copy to same location as fastboot.exe (C:/android/tools)
    • Boot your phone into fastboot mode (power on while holding trackball)
    • Connect your phone via usb to your pc
    • Go to command prompt
    • Type Type 'cd C:/android/tools'
    • type 'fastboot devices' (to make sure that fastboot "sees" your phone [confirmed by showing serial number])
    • If confirmed, then type 'fastboot flash recovery recovery-RA-nexus-v1.5.3.img'

Now reboot your phone and hold down the Volume-Down key as soon as it starts rebooting.
    On the next screen, select Recovery and you should get the Amon_RA Recovery screen.
    Regarding Amon_RA Recovery Screen:
    Because this is a noob guide I am only going to go through the basic features you will need to know (and use over and over again).

• USB-MS Toggle: when your N1 is connected to your computer this will allow your N1 to show up on your computer as a removable drive. After opening it up in Windows Explorer this is where you will drag and drop all ROM .zip files (DO NOT UNZIP) and other things (i.e. Radio Updates [again DO NOT UNZIP]).
    • Backup/Restore: Yea so when people say "do a nandroid backup" this is where you go. You will want to do this before making any drastic changes to your phone.
      • Backup: Pretty simple really, just hit the trackball and let all the dots roll by until it's done
      • Restore: When you do a restore you should see restore files arranged by YYYYMMDD configuration so you know which one is your latest. These backups are located in your nandroid folder so you can also drag and drop to your computer if you don't want it taking up space.

• Flash Zip from SD Card: So when you download all the ROMS it will be a zip file. Of course this should be now in your phone root directory via USB right? So once you select this option you should see them all listed there. Select the one you want and you're good to go. This will also apply to Radio updates etc.
    • Wipe: Ok so let's say you want to try the MoDaCo Desire ROM with Sense UI and your phone currently has Enomther's ROM (or basically an entirely different ROM). You need to do a clean wipe or your installation will get F'd up. Basically this will require you to do a data/factory reset. This won't affect your nandroid backups. Also it's very simple, if the ROM's forum thread instructions tell you to wipe then wipe...if not then don't (i.e. installing modaco custom ROM from stock rom)
    I have left the old 1.1 MoDaCo Rom because the instructions are pretty step-by-step and perhaps you can utilize it in the future. However, I feel that further ROM information should just link directly to their respected forums because I believe new users should have access to the entire thread including other user comments. If you have specific questions then you can always ask there or here.

1.1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM

Original Source and Information: MoDaCo
    I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom Nexus One ROM! No 'wipe' is required to use this ROM.

This ROM is based on the 22607 release ROM (together with my own optimisations) for the best possible performance!

Other optional add on packs (apply as normal update zips)

- 'WaveSecure' add on pack (puts Wavesecure in ROM - it is no longer in core)

Recommended applications (available from the market)

- More Locale for setting non english Locales

Downloads

'Core' download: http://www.romraid.com/paul/nexusone/1.1-u...core-signed.zip

OPTIONAL 'Wavesecure' add on pack: http://www.romraid.com/paul/3.0.0.43-updat...cure-signed.zip ENSURE YOU DO A NANDROID BACKUP SO YOU CAN 'ROLL BACK' IF REQUIRED!

INSTALLATION

• Enter Amon_RA Recovery screen (if you're not in it already) by powering on while pressing volume-down button
    • Select 'nandroid backup' from the menu to do a backup
    • On your computer: Download 'Core Download' to desktop
      • Once downloaded rename file to "update.zip"

• AFTER you perform backup: Select USB-MS toggle on your phone
      • Phone should show up as a drive on My Computer

• Drag update.zip file to your phone SD shown on your computer
    • Next select "Flash zip from sdcard"
    • Select ‘apply sdcard:update.zip’
    • Confirm the installation and the ROM will install

Finally, if you like the MoDaCo Custom ROMs, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, which also gives you early access to Beta ROM releases.

P
    OTHER ROMS

• 1.6 MoDaCo Custom Rom: LINK
    • Enomther's TheOfficial Nexus1 - v1.6.1: LINK
    • CyanogenMod-5 for Nexus One: LINK
    Some Other Useful/Cool Stuff:
    Trackball Stuff:

• [APP] TrackballColorNotify 1.0beta3 - Customize Trackball Color (only works for SMS)
    • [MOD] Native trackball colors - Only thing that shows diff. colors for things other than SMS. Basically allows the app to tell the trackball what color it should show (i.e. Handcent SMS app)
    • Trackball Successions - PART OF NATIVE TRACKBALL COLORS: if you have multiple apps setup to show different colors (i.e. Missed Call, Handcent, etc) it will show all notifications in succession.
    • Trackball Wake/Trackball Skip - CANNOT BE USED TOGETHER! Wake basically allows you to use phone wake with trackball rather than power button on top (Blackberry like). Skip allows you to skip songs with trackball.

Other Cool Stuff:

• Install Mobile Defense as System App - Mobile defense is great because it allows you to track your phone (show GPS/signal strength on top of that) and also locks and sets an alarm to it (even if on silent). What installing it as system app does is make your average criminal harder to uninstall (even hard reset won't work) and automatically turn GPS on even if turned off.
    • [Kernel-.32] OCed and UVed: CM Source-1.113Ghz Stable! - Well I guess the title says it all. Voltage hasn't changed so don't worry about frying your phone. You need SetCPU app for this.
    • MoDaCo Custom ROM with HTC Sense (Desire ROM) - The ROM for a phone that's not even out yet. It has Sense UI and I don't get those @!#*&( launcher force close anymore. Also has flash 10.1 "lite" (not compatible on sites like CNN but works for like flash game sites)
      • Note: Some apps like Yelp, USAA, Layar don't even show up on market list...oh yea it's still alpha stage so you can try it just nandroid backup right?

Well I think that's it. Look I sort of did this to point you in the general direction of the opportunities you get by rootin your phone. Please thank the developers and um...if you screw up your phone then it's not their fault (ESP not mine bc I basically copied and pasted).

Have fun and if guide layout is too confusing give me advice and I'll edit

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Looks good, guess maybe it can be put in FAQ's?

Please add method to get into fast boot (power on while holding trackball)...unable to unlock without this step.

did u get ap2sd to work? i having issues with it

Quick question on your superb post... i've been trolling thru all sites including this, modaco and xda dev.
    Eventually managed to unlock (easy), root (mild), flash rom (Almost Died!)

There seems to be superboot and Fastboot. What are the difference?

what's the difference between this rom and cynanogens

what's the difference between this rom and cynanogens

Wow I forgot about this thread. I posted it so long ago.

ussr: fastboot is used to unlock the bootloader and the superboot is the img file where you root your phone after the bootloader is unlocked.

Please explain how your phone almost died! Did you perform a nandroid backup? That will be a lifesaver as it restores your phone EXACTLY as you last had it.

supsandroid: To be very simple cyanogen's ROM has a lot more extra stuff on it. You can read about its features here

If you want a pretty standard ROM that's just enhanced a little bit I would probably recommend Enomther's ROM.

Overall the best thing to do is to try out the ROMs yourself if they are stable and not at alpha or beta stage (even if they are you can give it a try [I'm also liking the progress of the desire sense UI albeit in alpha stage]).

Just remember! nandroid backup! you can easily restore it back to the way you had it in case you F@#!()*)#* it up real bad!

EDIT: Look i just updated the OP so maybe that'll help you ussr

hi stephan many thanks on your reply. unfortunately I missed out on backing up my original rom, managed to get back to recovery and reinstall cyanogen rom, problem is now im at ere 36b which gives me bad network. is there anyway I can roll back to 27?

ussr, using enomther and the desire ROM i switched back from 36b to er27. I can't personally vouch for cyanogen but look at this thread:

[ROM] CyanogenMod-5 for Nexus One (STABLE) [02/20/2010 / 5.0.3.1] - Page 378 - xda-developers
    posting #3772. You should backup anyway and just don't let your phone die during the downgrade.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ads