Please Explain Rooting on the Nexus One

This is a discussion on Please Explain Rooting on the Nexus One within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Okay...I hate to admit that the "Super Noob Guide to Unlocking Bootloader, MoDaCo's ROM, Amon_RA's Recovery" leaves me with questions, but it does. It sounds ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Explain Rooting on the Nexus One

Please Explain Rooting on the Nexus One

Okay...I hate to admit that the "Super Noob Guide to Unlocking Bootloader, MoDaCo's ROM, Amon_RA's Recovery" leaves me with questions, but it does. It sounds like there may be no reason NOT to root my N1, but I gotta ask a few questions before I do it.

-So can I restore everything back to normal if I need to send it in for repair/replacement under warranty (I assume that's what the backup is for)? Are there instructions on how to do this?
    -This seems pretty risk free, but honestly how far out of their way would someone have to go to actually brick their N1 doing this?
    -Is it better to do this now, before some sort of security hole gets closed up?
    -Is there any other info you guys could help me with?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I'm loving the Android OS, and love my Nexus One way more than the Cliq I returned.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Currently there is no way to relock the boot-loader if you unlock it. Devs over at XDA are working on it.

Edit: Once you unlock it, your warranty is void.

I heard you can unroot it to get your warranty back.. don't know if its true though :-P

Nope. Whilst google deliberately made rooting very easy (the only phone I know of that does this) they also covered their backs - once you've unlocked the bootloader it puts an icon on the screen during booting saying it's unlocked.. also the warranty specifically states that this voids it.

Would love to see a screenshot of that.....Hint Hint...Bueller?

I would also like to know what's the benefits of doing this...

Thanks for letting me know that it's irreversible for now. Glad I'm not the only one who has questions.

Hi, I just joined this forum this week and I'm really quite a noobie ... I've been using an iphone for the past 4 years so switching to Android is really new ... can I ask what are the things we can do once we root the N1? I'm quite familiar with jailbreaking the iphone and all those things, but in android, what are the things that are made possible if I root the phone? Thanks and regards!

Rooting gives you full administrator access to the phone. So you can change the options of the phone all you want and probably install apps that isn't on the market.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Can't wait to get my unit ... cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links