Outlandish Idea (First Post Too!)

This is a discussion on Outlandish Idea (First Post Too!) within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this post, but so be it! I happen to be a relatively content iPhone owner on the ...

Thread: Outlandish Idea (First Post Too!)

Outlandish Idea (First Post Too!)

Ok, I'm probably going to get flamed for this post, but so be it!

I happen to be a relatively content iPhone owner on the wonderfully overpriced AT&T Wireless network. I've fallen in love with the N1 and had my heart shattered as soon as I heard it was incompatible with AT&T's 3G network. I would have dropped my iPhone faster than you can say Google!

Anyways, on to my idea!

Ok, im not computer/electrical engineer, but I am an IT Tech. With computers, drivers are an easy fix, and in the case of linux, its relatively easy to get stuff working (hardware wise) even if you dont have supported drivers.

Now, my idea is to somehow de-solder (is that even a word lol) the radio transceiver and replace it with (possibly the next model up) a new radio transceiver that supports the AT&T 3G frquencies AND the T-Mobile 3G frequencies (I believe its refered to as 'Quadband').

I say the next model up because it may have a BETTER chance of being compatible.

Now, hopefully there are people out there (with electrical knowledge) that can tell me (and possibly other geek-freaks) if this is even possible at all, and if so, what it will take.

Im sure there are rich people out there that would be willing to fork over a N1 in hopes that way succeed with our guinea pig!

So, FLAME ON!!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Lofty effort... Will the current software support the chip?

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Lofty effort... Will the current software support the chip?
    Thats what I'm wondering. See, I've heard on the net that Google is "planning" on making an AT&T version. That leads me to believe that they may have already implemented the software support for a new chip. A good question may be, what chip might they plan on using?

If it worked I'd pay more than a couple dollars for this...
    Rooted Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    If it worked I'd pay more than a couple dollars for this...
    lol I was also thinking maybe making a few and selling them for like $1100 o pop. Some would go for it no matter how expensive!

first off, welcome!

secondly, I agree w/ Backnblack...that is a lofty goal. And you want to take on a challenge like this all so you can stay 'on the wonderfully overpriced AT&T Wireless network'?? Let's see...you'd have to buy an unlocked N1 @ $530, a donor phone for the radio, tear them apart, replace the N1 radio with no guarantee it will work, etc...who knows how much sweat and money you'll invest and you may only end up with a couple bricks.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and a bit more hassle-free to pay an ETF to get out of your AT&T contract and get the N1 on the supported network? If you're really opposed to T-Mo, you could just wait for the Verizon version that will be available this spring, right?

I mean, if you really must have AT&T...good luck and take lot's of pictures! I'm sure that would make a killer "How To" thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by kc.rkitek View Post
    first off, welcome!

secondly, I agree w/ Backnblack...that is a lofty goal. And you want to take on a challenge like this all so you can stay 'on the wonderfully overpriced AT&T Wireless network'?? Let's see...you'd have to buy an unlocked N1 @ $530, a donor phone for the radio, tear them apart, replace the N1 radio with no guarantee it will work, etc...who knows how much sweat and money you'll invest and you may only end up with a couple bricks.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and a bit more hassle-free to pay an ETF to get out of your AT&T contract and get the N1 on the supported network? If you're really opposed to T-Mo, you could just wait for the Verizon version that will be available this spring, right?

I mean, if you really must have AT&T...good luck and take lot's of pictures! I'm sure that would make a killer "How To" thread!!
    LoL as I said its just an idea, and yes, I must stay with AT&T as I do quite a bit of traveling to a small rural area which gets reception from AT&T alone. Tried several company's (Metro PCS, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Altel) and NONE worked at all. The only company that worked (and barely, kept loosing reception) was Sprint.

well, i guess you could try to find someone who is so dissatisfied that they will sell you their N1 for a fraction of the price they paid... i think that will be your first challenge. best of luck in your endeavors!

If I were to betting man, I'd wager that within the next couple of months they're going to release a AT&T 3g phone and I wouldn't be suprised to see it released shortly after Verizon's release.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links