Is multi-touch just a firmware update away?

This is a discussion on Is multi-touch just a firmware update away? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi All, This is a follow up from a discussion that was taken place in the pub last night! Where all great discussion should take ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is multi-touch just a firmware update away?

Is multi-touch just a firmware update away?

Hi All,

This is a follow up from a discussion that was taken place in the pub last night! Where all great discussion should take place.

Im sold on the Nexus one and hope to get my hands on one as early as possible. However, before i part with any cash, there are a few points im trying to resolve, including customer support, insurance, warrenty returns, etc. The other point is in relation to the lack of a multi-touch (Hack aside). I will be a UK nexus one owner when i get it, and suggestion seem to be that the Euro Nexus One will come with multi-touch. I was therefore wondering if it would be best to wait for the Euro release, or, if i can import it and simply wait for a firmware update from Google?

Is therefore, multi-touch for the nexus one simply just a firmware update, or will it require some new hardware adding to the phone?

Cheers All!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It's a software/firmware thing. Apps can actually use it in the new SDK. One example of working multi-touch is Dolphin Browser, which uses the pinch-zoom feature. Right now the problem is lack of multi-touch in built-in apps, which Google has inexplicably excluded. Google doesn't seem to think we really want it (one dev was quoted as saying he thought it wasn't important to us). Hope that answers all your questions. (sorry for no links to this info or anything)

We already have multi-touch. Just not for browser.

Thanks for your replies. That seems to clear it up.

I dont agree that we dont need multi-touch in android phone tho. I feel multi-touch is a must for internet browsing, maps and pictures.

Thanks for the help!

You can download the mod from cyanogen to enable pinch zoom on stock browser, which does not require a rooted phone. Or you can get dolphin browser.

Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    You can download the mod from cyanogen to enable pinch zoom on stock browser, which does not require a rooted phone. Or you can get dolphin browser.
    Who is cyanogen or is it a website.

Awesome, I was hoping for a way to do this without throwing a dif os on it

Got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by wamchu View Post
    Who is cyanogen or is it a website.
    Cyanogen is a developer. He has created the Nexus One ROM, entitled, CyanogenMod.

Go here:
    CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Donut tree.
    ~or~
    forum.xda-developers.com

New OTA update allows multitouch...no need to root if that's all you're after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links