Unlocking and Rooting Voids Software Warranty not Hardware!

This is a discussion on Unlocking and Rooting Voids Software Warranty not Hardware! within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by bhk1004 i tethering, i believe you can already do this without rooting the phone.... = useless.. Actually, no its not. You can ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking and Rooting Voids Software Warranty not Hardware!

Quote Originally Posted by bhk1004 View Post
    i

tethering, i believe you can already do this without rooting the phone.... = useless..
    Actually, no its not. You can do bluetooth or USB tethering on a non rooted phone and have all the faffing about with dial up networking on the PC/laptop that goes with that.

But once you root, you can do proper WiFi tethering. Ie, your phone becomes a proper WiFi hotspot. Your laptop / pc etc connects to it over wifi just like it would connect to any other wireless access point.

That was my reason for rooting.

Wow wifi tethering! I'm rooted and didnt even know about that lol.

Smile Having trouble after flashing the rom

Hi, I followed all of the steps and got the Cyano mod 5 installed and after it finished I selected reboot and when the phone boots back up it gets hung on the pretty colored X startup screen. Then I take the batter back out and it will shut down. I can go into recovery mode and click on recovery and it brings up the options page.

Does anybody have a solution? Should I wipe it and start over?

Thanks for the help,
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by sandyturley View Post
    Hi, I followed all of the steps and got the Cyano mod 5 installed and after it finished I selected reboot and when the phone boots back up it gets hung on the pretty colored X startup screen. Then I take the batter back out and it will shut down. I can go into recovery mode and click on recovery and it brings up the options page.

Does anybody have a solution? Should I wipe it and start over?

Thanks for the help,
    Sandy
    dont start over yet. wipe everything and try restarting it. mine did the same thing and after wiping it worked

Hey thanks supsandroid. I will try it right now. Thanks for the help. I will post the results.

I rooted my phone only after seeing this article, without any follow-up as to whether or not it was legit.

Just last week, the speaker in my N1 handset has gone staticy and tinny, I'm sure the speaker is blown on it.

Today I phoned Google and they said there is no separate hardware/software warranty, and that if my phone is rooted/unlocked then the warranty is void. You said to contact someone by the name of Swetland if we have issues? But theres no Swetland on this forum.

Is there anything I can do or am I SOL?

-b

Quote Originally Posted by bee2643 View Post
    I rooted my phone only after seeing this article, without any follow-up as to whether or not it was legit.

Just last week, the speaker in my N1 handset has gone staticy and tinny, I'm sure the speaker is blown on it.

Today I phoned Google and they said there is no separate hardware/software warranty, and that if my phone is rooted/unlocked then the warranty is void. You said to contact someone by the name of Swetland if we have issues? But theres no Swetland on this forum.

-b
    I just read about some new exceptions the Library of Congress did.

Library of Congress adds DMCA exception for jailbreaking or rooting your phone -- Engadget

There's tons of different blogs out there with the same info, I just like Engadget better. Basically it's now legal to jailbreak an iPhone or root an Android phone. Not sure when it goes into affect, but you should be able to tell them that it doesn't matter if it's rooted anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Snickolaz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bee2643 View Post

-b
    I just read about some new exceptions the Library of Congress did.

Library of Congress adds DMCA exception for jailbreaking or rooting your phone -- Engadget

There's tons of different blogs out there with the same info, I just like Engadget better. Basically it's now legal to jailbreak an iPhone or root an Android phone. Not sure when it goes into affect, but you should be able to tell them that it doesn't matter if it's rooted anymore.
    This could take years to implement. I phoned HTC back and they said they haven't heard of it and still won't issue a warranty, despite me providing them with numerous links to this article.

That's a bummer... I guess you can try another day, or just look for parts online and fix it yourself. Is it possible to lock the bootloader back? If you could do that and just send it in maybe they wouldn't know... I have no idea how they could tell or not, I'm not a programmer so I couldn't say for sure though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links