HTC Desire Rom coming to the N1 soon

This is a discussion on HTC Desire Rom coming to the N1 soon within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I just rooted and flashed HTC Sense ROM Alpha 14. I love it so far. But I do miss somethings about stock android 2.1. I ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HTC Desire Rom coming to the N1 soon

I just rooted and flashed HTC Sense ROM Alpha 14. I love it so far. But I do miss somethings about stock android 2.1.

I WANT THE STOCK MESSAGING!!!

grab the Mms.apk from Cyan's custom ROM and adb-push it to /system/app and you'll have your STOCK MESSAGING APP!!! . you guys should also check out Android Commander; it's a file manager type-tool that allows you to drag-n-drop files, etc. between your PC and your connected N1. i use it to backup programs installed via Market, copy files to my SD card, etc. one caveat: use caution because it allows access to the device's entire file structure,

Ran the latest Desire ROM for just over a day. Very stable and the Sense UI had a ton of things I liked. But the battery life was a deal breaker for me. Hopefully when this thing hits Beta it is more optimized for battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by cortez.i View Post
    grab the Mms.apk from Cyan's custom ROM and adb-push it to /system/app and you'll have your STOCK MESSAGING APP!!! . you guys should also check out Android Commander; it's a file manager type-tool that allows you to drag-n-drop files, etc. between your PC and your connected N1. i use it to backup programs installed via Market, copy files to my SD card, etc. one caveat: use caution because it allows access to the device's entire file structure,
    i got the mms.apk but i dont think i did it right. it wouldnt install.

Quote Originally Posted by xrEminiscex View Post
    you can't install the Mms.apk file like a normal apk app file... you have to use the adb push command (within the Android SDK kit) to push (or install) the file to the /system/app folder. you should also note that you cannot uninstall the Mms.apk file like you would any other program. if you haven't used adb push before, please, please, please, make a nandroid backup! i would also read about adb push before proceeding. pasted below is the output from my Win 7 DOS (cmd) Window that includes the steps to push the Mms.apk file to your device. be sure to place a copy of the Mms.apk file (your pushing to your device) in your tools folder. on my laptop, the Android SDK kit is installed on my D drive in the D:\_Android\SDK folder. the location is probably different on your pc. after copying the file, go to your \SDK\tools folder and open a cmd window. the commands i typed are in the blue-bold font. the output you're looking for is in green-bold font; this is what you'll see in your DOS window after executing the command. hope this helps you and anyone else wanting to use the stock Mms app.

Step 0 - did i say make a nandroid backup before proceeding?

Step 1 - copy the Mms.apk file to your \SDK\tools directory

--------------------------------- (Begin commands executed in a DOS Window (e.g., CMD prompt) ----------------------------------

Step 2 D:\_Android\SDK\tools>dir Mms.apk (this will confirm that Mms.apk is in the current directory)
    03/12/2010 01:09 AM 875,604 Mms.apk (output confirms the Mms.apk is in this directory - this apk is what i want to push to my device)

Step 3: D:\_Android\SDK\tools>adb devices (check to confirm my device is connected via USB)
    List of devices attached
    HT9CSP815555 device
    (output to confirm i'm connected to my N1)

Step 4: D:\_Android\SDK\tools> adb pull /system/app/Mms.apk OriginalMms.apk (command to pull or copy Mms.apk to my pc and rename OriginalMms.apk)
    1770 KB/s (875604 bytes in 0.483s) (output confirms that confirms command was executed)

Step 5: D:\_Android\SDK\tools>dir OriginalMms.apk (command to confirm file was copied to my pc)

03/12/2010 01:11 AM 875,604 OriginalMms.apk
    1 File(s) 875,604 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 19,716,403,200 bytes free
    (output confirms that Mms.apk was copied from the N1's /system/app directory to my pc and renamed OriginalMms.apk)

Step 6: D:\_Android\SDK\tools>adb remount (command to allow me to write file to /system/app directory)
    remount succeeded (output that confirms i have write access)

Step 7: D:\_Android\SDK\tools>adb push Mms.apk /system/app (command to install/push Mms.apk to the directory /system/app on my device)
    1144 KB/s (875604 bytes in 0.747s) (output that confirms Mms.apk was pushed to /system/app folder)

--------------------------------- (End commands executed in a DOS Window (e.g., CMD prompt) ----------------------------------

Step 8: now go back to your device and compose a text message and you should be using the stock N1 Mms.apk.

Quote Originally Posted by xrEminiscex View Post
    you can't install the Mms.apk file like a normal apk app file... you have to use the adb push command (within the Android SDK kit) to push (or install) the file to the /system/app folder. you should also note that you cannot uninstall the Mms.apk file like you would any other program. if you haven't used adb push before, please, please, please, make a nandroid backup! i would also read about adb push before proceeding. pasted below is the output from my Win 7 DOS (cmd) Window that includes the steps to push the Mms.apk file to your device. be sure to place a copy of the Mms.apk file (your pushing to your device) in your tools folder. on my laptop, the Android SDK kit is installed on my D drive in the D:\_Android\SDK folder. the location is probably different on your pc. after copying the file, go to your \SDK\tools folder and open a cmd window. the commands i typed are in the blue-bold font. the output you're looking for is in green-bold font. hope this helps you and anyone else wanting to use the stock Mms app. did i say make a nandroid backup before proceeding?

---------------------------------
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\_Android\SDK\tools>dir Mms.apk (this will confirm that Mms.apk is in the current directory)
    Volume in drive D is XPS-D
    Volume Serial Number is 74D3-3C3D

Directory of D:\_Android\SDK\tools

03/12/2010 01:09 AM 875,604 Mms.apk (output confirms the Mms.apk is in this directory - this apk is what i want to push to my device)
    1 File(s) 875,604 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 19,717,279,744 bytes free

D:\_Android\SDK\tools>adb devices (check to confirm my device is connected via USB)
    List of devices attached
    HT9CSP815555 device
    (output to confirm i'm connected to my N1)

D:\_Android\SDK\tools> adb pull /system/app/Mms.apk OriginalMms.apk (command to pull or copy Mms.apk to my pc and rename OriginalMms.apk)
    1770 KB/s (875604 bytes in 0.483s)

D:\_Android\SDK\tools>dir OriginalMms.apk (command to confirm file was copied to my pc)
    Volume in drive D is XPS-D
    Volume Serial Number is 74D3-3C3D

Directory of D:\_Android\SDK\tools

03/12/2010 01:11 AM 875,604 OriginalMms.apk (output confirms that Mms.apk was copied from the N1's /system/app directory to my pc and renamed OriginalMms.apk)
    1 File(s) 875,604 bytes
    0 Dir(s) 19,716,403,200 bytes free

D:\_Android\SDK\tools>adb remount (command to allow me to write file to /system/app directory)
    remount succeeded (output that confirms i have write access)

D:\_Android\SDK\tools>adb push Mms.apk /system/app (command to install/push Mms.apk to the directory /system/app on my device)
    1144 KB/s (875604 bytes in 0.747s) (output that confirms Mms.apk was pushed to /system/app folder)

D:\_Android\SDK\tools>

-----------------------------

now go back to your device and compose a text message and you should be using the stock N1 Mms.apk.

o00 thanx its more complicated than i thought lol but do able =D thanks for the info.

it will take 1 minute or less to push the file after backups... the instructions provide more detail so you know what's happening.

Hey Cortez.i thank you so much for the above information. I really appreciate it.

BUT!!!

I'm totally clueless......Rooting my N1 took me awhile....LOLOL. Is there anyway there is a youtube vid, or a walkthrough. Thank you so much for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by ootherocoo View Post
    Hey Cortez.i thank you so much for the above information. I really appreciate it.

BUT!!!

I'm totally clueless......Rooting my N1 took me awhile....LOLOL. Is there anyway there is a youtube vid, or a walkthrough. Thank you so much for your help.
    if (as you say) you're clueless, then maybe you should hold off until you have a better understanding of how this works. i removed some of the info above and added 1, 2, 3 steps to copy the Mms.apk file to your device. review my changes to see if this makes the process a little clearer. the above steps assume you've worked with the Cmd prompt (or DOS window) in XP, Vista or Windows 7 and you have a good understanding of using adb commands. better to be safe than sorry!

I am also using this rom as my main and I love it! Only issue is BT, but not terribly concerned as I know Paul at Modaco is constantly working/updating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links