Rooting question

This is a discussion on Rooting question within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey, I heard that when you root your phone, everything on it gets deleted, aka apps, contacts, sms. Is this true? How can I back ...

Thread: Rooting question

Rooting question

Hey, I heard that when you root your phone, everything on it gets deleted, aka apps, contacts, sms. Is this true? How can I back them up?

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Yes...
    not your contacts tho..they're backed up/synced to Google. But typically, as you will soon find out, rooting your device may require to do wipes/factory resets in order to make sure the rom load correctly. There are ways to keep everything backed up (nandroid) as well as apps from the market specifically for rooted phones to help ease the process for you.

If this is something you're considering, the benefits are amazing...definitely continue your research and good luck on REALLY enjoying your N1..

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyron View Post
    Hey, I heard that when you root your phone, everything on it gets deleted, aka apps, contacts, sms. Is this true? How can I back them up?
    Unlocking and rooting your device does not destroy any data on your phone. If you do a factory reset to install new rom, then yes your data will be destroyed. Get Titanium Backup off the market and donate 4$ to get a private license, it will back up all of your apps.

you also can do adb pull Settings.apk, and save this file, after you flash the new rom do adb push back to where you got the settings .apk and everything will be set up how it was before you wiped.
    :nexusx:Proud new owner of Nexus One as of 1/11/10
    Unlocked Rooted
    Amon-RA recovery v1.7.0(Cyanogen Mod Version)
    Cyanogen Mod LATEST! (Beta or Stable)
    Baked In MoDaCo's Kitchen!
    NexTHEME
    Helix Launcher2
    16GB Class 6 MicroSD

Twitter @Gr8gorilla

I have a few questions:

With a rooted N1, will I be able to receive over-the-air updates?

Is there a hack to enable OTA updates on a rooted N1?

Am I able to manually receive OTA updates on a rooted N1?

How can I make a backup of the already installed apps on the N1?

Where do I go in the file directory to obtain the necessary app files to retrieve for backup?

Unlocking and rooting your device does not destroy any data on your phone. If you do a factory reset to install new rom, then yes your data will be destroyed. Get Titanium Backup off the market and donate 4$ to get a private license, it will back up all of your apps.
    Will the Titanium Backup app you mentioned also backup factory installed apps? Would I need to root my N1 first to backup both of my factory installed apps and the apps I installed myself?

Quote Originally Posted by KOOLBLUEFROG View Post
    Will the Titanium Backup app you mentioned also backup factory installed apps? Would I need to root my N1 first to backup both of my factory installed apps and the apps I installed myself?
    Titanium Backup requires ROOT. It backs up whatever you want on your phone and reinstalls with a batch operation under menu options.

Why would you want an OTA with custom ROM anyway? Most ROM developers put the newest AOSP code in their ROMS as soon as it drops. You get the newest stuff, often before Google decides to release it. With a Custom Rom your phone will be in the future compared to non-rooted, stock N1's.
    :nexusx:Proud new owner of Nexus One as of 1/11/10
    Unlocked Rooted
    Amon-RA recovery v1.7.0(Cyanogen Mod Version)
    Cyanogen Mod LATEST! (Beta or Stable)
    Baked In MoDaCo's Kitchen!
    NexTHEME
    Helix Launcher2
    16GB Class 6 MicroSD

Twitter @Gr8gorilla

I have a question, when you want to get into Amon's recovery do you have to flash the recovery-RA-nexus file every time?

edit: nvm got it lol

Quote Originally Posted by gr8gorilla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyron View Post

you also can do adb pull Settings.apk, and save this file, after you flash the new rom do adb push back to where you got the settings .apk and everything will be set up how it was before you wiped.

i tried this and it says remote object 'Settings.apk' does not exist?

edit: nvm got it

Ads