cyanogen rom

This is a discussion on cyanogen rom within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; hi guys, im very new to all these roms and exactly understand what WIPE and FLASH means? how can i install a cyanogen rom with ...

Thread: cyanogen rom

Junior Member Brooklyn Nexus Guy's Avatar

cyanogen rom

hi guys,

im very new to all these roms and exactly understand what WIPE and FLASH means?

how can i install a cyanogen rom with the google apps?

also, i dont know how to install the TETHER application because i dont understand the instructions such WIPE and FLASH.

my phone is already rooted.

please help?

thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

mah
    I have neither rooted my phone nor installed a tether app... I can only offer general help, but....

Flash: You can think of this as your phone's harddrive. Instead of a drive similar to a computers, small devices usually have something called "flash memory" which is slower and more expensive, but more reliable. Depending on how the word is used, it can either refer to this memory, or it can be the act of replacing a large block of its contents -- reprogramming it in whole, rather than writing to one file.

Wipe: this means to erase some area of your flash, the extent of which is based on the context of how it's used. You might wipe the majority of flash or you might wipe certain settings, for example.

One of the peculiarities with flash based storage is that you can easily write new data, but you can only erase in large blocks. Because of this, when you need to "flash your phone" (to replace its operating system), you first need to erase the areas of flash that will hold it, or "wipe your flash".

You state that your phone is already rooted. Did you give the phone to someone to have this done (or perhaps get it from someone 2nd hand, and they had it done)? Or are you unclear of the difference between "rooted" and "unlocked"? If the first, your phone has already been through a wipe and re-flash process, and you may need to only install your tethering app. If the second... be aware that all Nexus One's are unlocked (which means they will accept any carrier's SIM), but they don't come rooted (and rooting will technically void your warranty).

Hi,
    install a recovery image (i highly recommend Amon_RA's) and use "flash any zip" to flash the CyanogenRom and the apps after flashing the rom.

Do a wipe before, this deletes EVERY DATA on your phone.
    Follow me on Twitter @xPatriick
    Feel free to buy me a beer if I helped you
    This is what I use on my Nexus One (ROM, Kernel, special Apps)

thanks for th reply MAH.

i rooted the phone myself thanks to "how to" videos from the unlocker . com

without the video i wouldnt be able to do anything

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Nexus Guy View Post
    thanks for th reply MAH.

i rooted the phone myself thanks to "how to" videos from the unlocker . com

without the video i wouldnt be able to do anything
    You need ADB, and Fastboot, installed, I assume you have these since you unlocked your device.

Get Amon-Ra 1.6.2 install via fastboot - fastboot flash recovery (PATH TO)amon-ra-recovery-1.6.2

Now you have a custom recovery image download the ROM you want to try out - I use Cyanogen whatever is latest, right now its 5.0.4.1, put it at the root of your sd card (Cyanogen Mod forums is where you get it). Download Google add on - gapps-passion-ERE36B(2), and the radio Image, all from cyans site. Put all of these on the root of your SD card.

Reboot phone into recovery mode. Choose wipe, and wipe everything.

Then scroll to flash zip from SD, flash the Cyanogen mod, then the Google apps, then last do the RADIO

WHEN FLASHING THE RADIO: DO NOT PULL THE BATTERY FOR ANY REASON. PLUG YOUR PHONE IN FOR GOOD MEASURE. HAVE A FULL BATTERY CHARGE. DO NOT PULL YOUR BATTERY FOR ANY REASON DURING THE RADIO FLASH.

I take no responsibility for any damage or goodness you get from your newly flashed phone.
    :nexusx:Proud new owner of Nexus One as of 1/11/10
    Unlocked Rooted
    Amon-RA recovery v1.7.0(Cyanogen Mod Version)
    Cyanogen Mod LATEST! (Beta or Stable)
    Baked In MoDaCo's Kitchen!
    NexTHEME
    Helix Launcher2
    16GB Class 6 MicroSD

Twitter @Gr8gorilla

thanks guys

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links