N1 shell and scripting questions before I buy.

This is a discussion on N1 shell and scripting questions before I buy. within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I want to dump my iphone and get an N1, but I do a lot of bash scripting and need to know if the N1 ...

Thread: N1 shell and scripting questions before I buy.

Thumbs up N1 shell and scripting questions before I buy.

I want to dump my iphone and get an N1, but I do a lot of bash scripting and need to know if the N1 can do these things before shelling out $500.

1) What's the bash shell like? Is it limited in any way? Does it have all the normal command line tools like sed and awk? All the net stuff like ping, wget, curl?

2) What's ssh like? I see this ConnectBot thing, is it a separate app or a command line program or what? I really need to be able to use ssh with keys in a shell script to connect to my home linux box. Does the plain old ssh from a command line work with N1? Can I also ssh into the phone over wifi?

3) Can you run scripts from the N1's "desktop"? I have numerous icons on my iphone which link to shell scripts which I execute by tapping them. They're not interactive, but do a lot of very convenient things I'd hate to live without. I could run them all from a terminal, but it's much nicer to be able to "tap and forget."

4) Does the N1 have an app allowing you to get custom push notifications from a (Linux) computer's command line? On the iphone, I use an app called Prowl which allows you to send yourself push notifications up to 10k characters. It has a variety of methods to access the API, but the only one I use is curl. I put a curl command in a script on my computer to post the message to the Prowl website and I get a push notification on the phone with a preview of the message. Opening the Prowl app accesses their website and gets the full message. It doesn't have to work like that, but I need something that can be put in a bash script to send notifications.

I think that's all my "must-haves" and I hope all these things exist. If so, I'll order one tonight.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Fubaya, before I answer this incorrectly and lead you to invest in a very expensive product, I would highly suggest you ask the more technically knowledgeable folks over at xda forums.

Thanks. I had seen that forum but didn't bookmark it and couldn't re-find it. I actually decided to get an N1 anyway, I can give whichever one I use less to my fiance. It came today and wow, just the first impression of the N1 makes the iPhone look boring and clumsy. She's likely going to end up with a worn out iPhone

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links