Problems installing busybox

This is a discussion on Problems installing busybox within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I have unlocked the bootloader, and run Superboot, and now I want to install busybox so I can run Metamorph. However, despite following step-by-step instructions, ...

Thread: Problems installing busybox

Problems installing busybox

I have unlocked the bootloader, and run Superboot, and now I want to install busybox so I can run Metamorph. However, despite following step-by-step instructions, terminal still says F U.

So far, I have:

./adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
    ./adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local
    chmod 755 busybox

then when I type ./busybox it still says "permission denied" despite previous entry. Frustrated, I search some, and hear from many to dl Titanium Backup, which would automatically download Busybox if it couldn't access root. It doesn't work. It says "Downloading busybox..." but remains at 0% and then says downloading failed, check the website for troubleshooting help.

I am super frustrated. Any input? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyE30 View Post
    I have unlocked the bootloader, and run Superboot, and now I want to install busybox so I can run Metamorph. However, despite following step-by-step instructions, terminal still says F U.

So far, I have:

./adb push busybox /data/local/busybox
    ./adb shell
    su
    cd /data/local
    chmod 755 busybox

then when I type ./busybox it still says "permission denied" despite previous entry. Frustrated, I search some, and hear from many to dl Titanium Backup, which would automatically download Busybox if it couldn't access root. It doesn't work. It says "Downloading busybox..." but remains at 0% and then says downloading failed, check the website for troubleshooting help.

I am super frustrated. Any input? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    I haven't done this before but perhaps chmod 777

What ROM are you using. Most should already come with busybox. Are you having trouble with Metamorph? If so tell me as I am running it fine.

DToX - I tried 777 - but allowing all permissions doesn't change the response I get from terminal/shell.

Stephen - I downloaded Metamorph, but it says that I'm not running Busybox. As an app, it boots up fine.

UPDATE: I downloaded and used Titanium Backup, which installed Busybox for me - however Metamorph now says that there isn't enough room in /system, or busybox isn't installed.

Using terminal emulator, I type in busybox and it says "permission denied."

Busybox is turning into a four-letter word to me.

mah
    I have neither installed busybox nor rooted, however I have noticed that in the Android shell, if you type in any command that it cannot locate, it returns "permission denied".

Busybox is not normally invoked directly, it's normally invoked by a symbolic link. For example, if busybox includes the grep tool, on your path you'll find 'grep' as a symbolic link to busybox, and you use the command "grep". (The actual busybox executable can see how it was called, so it knows what mode to run in.) Is it possible that the busybox executable is being placed somewhere not in your PATH, and this is why you're not able to run it directly?

Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    I have neither installed busybox nor rooted, however I have noticed that in the Android shell, if you type in any command that it cannot locate, it returns "permission denied".

Busybox is not normally invoked directly, it's normally invoked by a symbolic link. For example, if busybox includes the grep tool, on your path you'll find 'grep' as a symbolic link to busybox, and you use the command "grep". (The actual busybox executable can see how it was called, so it knows what mode to run in.) Is it possible that the busybox executable is being placed somewhere not in your PATH, and this is why you're not able to run it directly?
    I tried the 'grep' command and it gave me the same result. However, what you're saying makes sense. Is there a way I can view my phone and my sd card's root directories? Being able to see the file system structure may make it easier for me find and execute.

mah
    The root directory of all linux systems is "/". For the N1, the root of the SD card is /sdcard.

You could "ls -lR / >/sdcard/ls.txt" if you want, to generate a full listing of every directory you can read on the phone (which should be everything if you're root). Then an "adb pull" command could be used to get that file onto your PC for convenient viewing.

UPDATE:

I used Titanium Backup, and if you are persistent, it will download Busybox for you.

However, I ended up flashing with Cyanogenmod 5.0.5 w/ Amon_RA recovery image, and if you are flashing a new ROM, most of them include busybox.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links