Why root my new N1?

This is a discussion on Why root my new N1? within the Nexus One Development & Hacking forums, part of the Nexus One category; I consider myself a geek / gadget tweaker. My 3GS iPhone is jailbroken, I build and overclock all my PCs, I'm a software engineer by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why root my new N1?

Why root my new N1?

I consider myself a geek / gadget tweaker. My 3GS iPhone is jailbroken, I build and overclock all my PCs, I'm a software engineer by profession. That being said, I'm having trouble justifying the potential cons of a root with Cyanogenmod even though the geek in me wants to do it anyway.

Here are the potential cons that I'm aware of:

and here are the Pros:

• More responsive GUI
    • WiFi tethering
    • better battery life (confirmed?)
    • app2SD (not all that interested)
    • theming (not that interested)
      • just having the N1 is a theming dream over even the jailbroken 3GS

Right now, the phone works very well for me. It seems responsive (though maybe not as responsive as my 3GS), the battery life is not that bad and I can tether via USB.

Can someone please highlight some other additional functionality that I may not be aware of with the root?

Thanks!:D

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I got the Cyanogen mod and noticed its running a bit faster. I havent had problem with live wall papers as I tried using them all without any crashes. More features than stock. I like it!

Faster, I actually get better data connection. Freed up memory. More features such as WiFi tethering, Torch, and trackball wake. All very great.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ability of over clock and undervolt (does save battery) Carlos Graves video is prolly a big part of why i rooted and everything.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgvK6O1Povo]YouTube - What's On Carlos' Nexus One - Kspec (Review)[/ame]
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0

Part Monster, Part Machine, ALL ANDROID

If you haven't seen the rooted Nexus user thread I made, then you should check it out! We have been talking about many of the functions and newest functions that rooting brings.

Mainly rooting gives you FULL access to the whole device. You are able to fully control its functions, and add things that were left out of the stock rom. (trackball, overclocking, root access).
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Ill warn ya though Neon is the forums best user at getting people to void their warranty. BUT ITS SOOOO WORTH IT! and just a heads up. The Root thread is a bit of a lengthy read. But also there are lots of people in that thread that can help you out with rooting if you have questions or run into a problem. my suggestion is to just take it slow and be able to read instructions.
    CyanogenMod 6.0.0

Part Monster, Part Machine, ALL ANDROID

Quote Originally Posted by disbj4ke View Post
    Ill warn ya though Neon is the forums best user at getting people to void their warranty. BUT ITS SOOOO WORTH IT! and just a heads up. The Root thread is a bit of a lengthy read. But also there are lots of people in that thread that can help you out with rooting if you have questions or run into a problem. my suggestion is to just take it slow and be able to read instructions.
    1++++

why is everyone blaming me for voiding their phones?

there are many reasons why you should/shouldn't root your phone. In the end its up to you.

I think if you really enjoy your phone, and know you are going to be keeping it for a good while, rooting is completely useful.

But if you are still on the fence about if you are keeping the phone, you should hold off.

After my initial 30 day return period was over, I already knew I was gonna keep the phone for at least 6-12 months, so I just rooted it. HTC is replacing hardware that is malfunctioning, so really the warranty is only voided in the situation where YOU damage the phone YOURSELF by improperly using the software.
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

HTC is replacing hardware that is malfunctioning, so really the warranty is only voided in the situation where YOU damage the phone YOURSELF by improperly using the software.

So HTC will still cover the hardware part then? I'm really considering rooting now!

^Same. I just need to find all of the Google apps as well.

Hi

I'm on the verge of buying an N1 and looking to root it after testing it works fine.

The mention of bluetooth problems also worries me as I use it a lot. I see the linked thread was to do with a Dream but no one has commented on it in this thread. Are there any problems reported with bluetooth after rooting an N1?

Looking forward to being an Android user after being on WM 6.5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links