calibrate your battery

This is a discussion on calibrate your battery within the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's forums, part of the Nexus One category; You guys, why would the battery damage if the phone turns off? I mean come on, they are meant to be either on or off! ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: calibrate your battery

You guys, why would the battery damage if the phone turns off? I mean come on, they are meant to be either on or off! NO amount of data can convince me that turning off my phone kills the battery. If it did kill the battery, there would be no on/off button!

Quote Originally Posted by Krew View Post
    You guys, why would the battery damage if the phone turns off? I mean come on, they are meant to be either on or off! NO amount of data can convince me that turning off my phone kills the battery. If it did kill the battery, there would be no on/off button!
    This is normal use, no damage to the battery can result from turning off the phone, allowing the phone to turn itself off,etc. It actually takes deliberate 'abuse' to damage your battery, so quit worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jah View Post
    I've heard that this is unnecessary and can damage the battery. Are we sure this is a good idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by SliceBurgSlim View Post
    Ive heard that draining li-ion batteries down to zero can be bad for the battery over time...
    Discharging your LIB fully (or less than 2.4 Volt per cell) is bad for the battery. Every time you do that, it can be said that small part of your battery (some cells) dies (they forever lose their charge). Do not store your batteries depleted, there's a high chance they will die completely or will become very "weak".
    Exactly

When I asked him last week, my student (who developed the Snapdragon processor at Qualcomm) thinks it is a very bad idea to completely drain the N1 battery in a vain attempt to "calibrate" the battery. He says there is no such thing as "calibrating" the battery and thinks these people are just attempting to sound knowledgeable when in fact they don't understand what they are talking about.

I think you (and he) misunderstand the intent behind draining and fully recharging a cell...we're not trying to 'calibrate' the battery per se, we're calibrating the phone's charging algorithm to the cell's depletion and peak voltage readings so the meter reports a more accurate representation of cell charge state. It's a diagnostic 'tool' when troubleshooting battery issues, and can rule out a misreading meter as a culprit when troubleshooting cell issues. This recalibration has NO impact on cell performance itself.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jah View Post
    I've heard that this is unnecessary and can damage the battery. Are we sure this is a good idea?

Discharging your LIB fully (or less than 2.4 Volt per cell) is bad for the battery. Every time you do that, it can be said that small part of your battery (some cells) dies (they forever lose their charge). Do not store your batteries depleted, there's a high chance they will die completely or will become very "weak".
    Exactly

When I asked him last week, my student (who developed the Snapdragon processor at Qualcomm) thinks it is a very bad idea to completely drain the N1 battery in a vain attempt to "calibrate" the battery. He says there is no such thing as "calibrating" the battery and thinks these people are just attempting to sound knowledgeable when in fact they don't understand what they are talking about.

I think you (and he) misunderstand the intent behind draining and fully recharging a cell...we're not trying to 'calibrate' the battery per se, we're calibrating the phone's charging algorithm to the cell's depletion and peak voltage readings so the meter reports a more accurate representation of cell charge state. It's a diagnostic 'tool' when troubleshooting battery issues, and can rule out a misreading meter as a culprit when troubleshooting cell issues. This recalibration has NO impact on cell performance itself.
    I think the dynamic here is - do not completely drain the battery for *any* reason.

I think the dynamic here is - do not completely drain the battery for *any* reason.
    I reiterate-allowing the phone discharge to shut itself off is not 'completely draining' the battery..and falls under normal usage. It requires deliberate circumvention/neglect to completely drain the cell into the danger zone. As has been described above, there is a valid reason to discharge the cell to recalibrate the phone's charge reporting meter, especially when coupled with a full recharge after discharge. This results in the most accurate charge-state reporting by the phone.

Well, I think I'll follow the advice of a senior project developer at Qualcomm when he says not to do this

Google sends a plane for this guy when Qualcomm loans him out for consultation and he's been to HTC in Tawain many times. I'd think he'd know what's BS and what's not.

Well, I think I'll follow the advice of a senior project developer at Qualcomm when he says not to do this

Google sends a plane for this guy when Qualcomm loans him out for consultation and he's been to HTC in Tawain many times. I'd think he'd know what's BS and what's not.

I take offense to your suggestion I'm spreading FUD/BS. You are free to believe as you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post

I take offense to your suggestion I'm spreading FUD/BS. You are free to believe as you wish.
    Since you've chosen to take this personally (which it was not) you're also free to take offense as you wish

Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth
    "Yes I never let my battery drain less than 30% and only let it get that low if I'm in a situation where I'm not near a charger. At that point if it's before 20-15% I just shut it off."

1> • Discharging your LI Battery fully (or less than 2.4 Volt per cell) is bad for the battery. Every time you do that, it can be said that small part of your battery (some cells) dies (they forever lose their charge). Do not store your batteries depleted, there's a high chance they will die completely or will become very "weak".

2>• Worst LI Battery treatment is to keep it at 100% charge level at high temperature (think laptop/phone under direct sunlight, like car dashboard).

3> • Best LI Battery treatment, or LIBattery's "favorite" charge level - 40%. That's also the usual charge level you buy them with.

4> LIBs like frequent partial charges/discharges more than they like full charges/discharges.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    I just found this:
    What is your battery life on Nexus One? - Android Help

Ry Guy, a google employee, linking to a thread that says its good to 100% discharge your battery.

Thoughts?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links