calibrate your battery

This is a discussion on calibrate your battery within the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey folks, ive been asked a lot, how to calibrate your battery, to get more life out of it... Calibrate your Battery Calibrate the battery ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: calibrate your battery

Cool calibrate your battery

Hey folks,

ive been asked a lot, how to calibrate your battery, to get more life out of it...

Calibrate your Battery

Calibrate the battery by completely draining it until the phone completely shuts itself off.
    Turn the phone on again and let it shut itself off one more time.
    Then charge your phone while it is off for over 8 hours.
    This will fully charge the battery so that when the Android is turned on, it now sees the battery as full.

It is recommended to repeat this process at least one more time.

You should see a significant increase in your battery’s charge life.

Calibration of a battery can be done at any point and a maintenance calibration is recommended every month.

RECALIBRATION:

A recalibration is mostly needed, when dealing with different kernels (ROOT!). Most custom recovery images provide the option "battery stats wipe" under the menue "Wipe".

Here is how ya do it!

1. Enter Recovery Mode
    2. do a full nandroid (or nandroid+ext) backup
    3. Enter "Wipe"-Menue
    4. do "Battery stats wipe"
    5. reboot

Then you just take the steps from a bove to continue:

Calibrate the battery by completely draining it until the phone completely shuts itself off.
    Then charge your phone while it is off for over 8 hours.
    This will fully charge the battery so that when the Android is turned on, it now sees the battery as full.

It is recommended to repeat this process at least one more time.

You should see a significant increase in your battery’s charge life.

Calibration of a battery can be done at any point and a maintenance calibration is recommended every month.

Tigger

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Nice! I should do this with all the kernel flashing I do. Thanks for posting!
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

has anyone done this and has anyone seen a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by rensky View Post
    has anyone done this and has anyone seen a difference?
    This is general battery care and they recommending doing it for any device that has a battery.

I've never done it with my Nexus however, because I can't leave the device turned off for that long and not use it! X__X
    @NEONmonstar
    Rooted NexusOne
    Cyanogen CM6 RC1 FROYO
    RA-nexus-v1.7.1-Cyan
    Galaxy S PRO Theme
    Desire Camera

Quote Originally Posted by RinTinTigger View Post
    I'm a perfect dummy concerning all these things and must say I'm a little bit scared to do this. Isn't there a risk of losing some information? Time and date is the first thing that comes to my mind, but maybe also some other more technical data I haven't a clue of what they mean?

I have another phone which I put aside for months (if not years). When I tried to recharge it again to lend it to a visiting friend, it just doesn't work anymore. I changed the battery, but the phone stays dead (or more precisely the screen stays dead). No idea what the problem is. Maybe it's nothing relating to the battery and didn't bother to find out, as it's a cheap phone, but would be devastated if it happens to my Nexus.

Jim

Thanks. I tried this with no faith. But I could see a vast different after the first calibration. Thanks to the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by GandJim View Post
    I'm a perfect dummy concerning all these things and must say I'm a little bit scared to do this. Isn't there a risk of losing some information? Time and date is the first thing that comes to my mind, but maybe also some other more technical data I haven't a clue of what they mean?
    There should not be any problems, as for the clock etc. there is another power source and all other data will be stored on the flash memory (which does not need power to store it's data at least for some months).

Just think about it, you can easily take out the battery of your phone (e.g. before you send it in for service) and won't lose data.

I'm surprised this would be necessary with a Lithium (-Ion or -Polymer) battery. This is the kind of procedure that goes back to the days of NiCad and NiMH batteries that suffered from the memory effect.

Saying that though, I'm going to try it.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

to add to the o/p,when your phones battery runs down and you get the black screen press and hold power buttond and trackball till you get the bootlogging screen(white)just leave your n1 sitting on that for a while and it will drain the rest of the juice out of the battery,don't panic when going to charge it and you don't get the orange light as it takes a bit of time for it to charge itself up so best leave it over night,i do this once a month and notice a decent change in battery life

jah
    I've heard that this is unnecessary and can damage the battery. Are we sure this is a good idea?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads