How To: Root Your Phone From Stock FRF91
This is a discussion on How To: Root Your Phone From Stock FRF91 within the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by pc_michael
Originally Posted by zyb5000
I have a never before rooted FRF91 and this doesn't work. You need to have your phone ...
Ya. I tried it. I ran into the problem I posted above. I can't boot in Amon RA recovery. There is now way to boot into it with out removing the file
Originally Posted by pc_michael
which I can't do because you need su to remove it.
If you already did not have the file because you previously removed it or whatever reason then you should be fine. But since this is my first time unlocking my phone and attempting to root it I ran into this problem.
Huh! Guess I lucked out, I followed those directions and had no trouble, never attempting to root before that.
Ok, so I took the leap of faith on my stock FRF91 N1 (NEVER rooted before) and tried rooting it and flashing a custom ROM. Honestly, it was a scary experience, but at the end of it all, I was worrying over nothing (as long as you follow the steps)
Have this page open at all time and follow AS-IS and you should get root on your FRF91
Here's the steps:
1. Enable USB Debugging from Settings > Applications > Development on your phone
2. Install NexusOne USB Drivers on your PC for your correct OS version
How To: Set Up ADB/USB Drivers for Android Devices | TheUnlockr
3. Download the Android SDK here
4. Unzip the SDK to the root of C: - You do not need to run any setup, etc. Just the extract should be fine.
5. Reboot machine to make sure the drivers are installed (Not really necessary, but fastboot.exe did not find my device without the restart)
6. After reboot, open CMD and go to C:\AndroidSDK\Tools folder
You should expect the following text:
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
HT0xxxxxxxx device (Your device ID - does not necessarily have to start with HT0)
7. Follow the Fastboot from here. You can copy those 3 files mentioned in the link to your fastboot folder. I copied those 3 files to my AndroidSDK\Tools\ folder - Does not matter
8. Get the Cyanogen Mod, Google Addon, Amon_RA recovery from Full Update Guide - Nexus One Firmware to CyanogenMod - CyanogenMod Wiki
9. Leave Cyanogen Mod and Google Addon to the root of the SD Card
10. DO NOT copy the Recovery Image or Radio (if you are using FRF91 stock, you don't really need to worry about this) on the SD card
11. Open CMD, go to the Android\Tools\ folder (where you copied those 3 files) and type:
fastboot oem unlock
12. You should get a warning - Accept it and your bootloader will be unlocked. All data will be wiped.
13. Then flash the recovery (I flashed the regular Amon_RA recovery instead of Cyanogen recovery - Just a matter of choice or being safe when doing the first time)
14. Flash Cyanogen with the instructions AS-IS - DO NOT DEVIATE if you are doing this for the first time
If you followed it step-by step, it should work (worked on my never-rooted stock FRF91 N1)
1. can you "unroot" it?
2. could it mess up my phone?
You can unroot it. However, part of the rooting process includes unlocking your bootloader, which cannot be undone. However this doesn't affect how your phone operates anyway.
If you don't follow the steps it is possible to mess something up, but it's nothing a factory restore wouldn't fix.
Hey man. Thanks for posting these steps of what worked for you. I've been reading thru it and the links to make sure I understand it before i root. Just got my N1 FRF91 a couple days ago.
Originally Posted by chetanthaker
I'm confused about one part: in step 8 you say to download Amon_Ra's Recovery Image... but then in step 10 you say NOT to copy it to the sdcard. Then I think you flashed to Amon_Ra Recovery in step 13...
Can you expand on this a little bit.
What I'm thinking is that we dont necessarily have to use Amon_Ra's Recovery image, but instead we can go straight to flashing cyanogenmod?
Sorry if this is a noob question.
Of course the very first step doesn't work.
I had copied Fastboot in my AndroidSDK\tools folder. You can't go wrong with that with missing files. Try that.
Originally Posted by joelft
You need to have the following files where fastboot is located:
You should not run into trouble otherwise.
Also recommended to use the command prompt explicitly since you need to provide parameters to the fastboot executable
Recovery.img (you got to rename the Amon_RA recovery image file to this) should be placed in the folder where you have the fastboot/adb installed (I had copied fastboot and all the necessary files to AndroidSDK\tools folder where I have everything in once place.
Originally Posted by chetanthaker
You have to flash the recovery using fastboot executable from the command prompt on your computer.
I doubt you can flash Cyanogen without having flashed a custom recovery. That's a primary pre-requisite. I might be wrong though.
After unlocking the bootloader make sure you wipe your device - People have reported endless boot sequences and never being able to get their phones to start.
Let me know if it works
Full Update Guide - Nexus One - CyanogenMod Wiki
it says "Place the radio update.zip file on the root of your SD card." could someone explain that to me? ive unlocked my bootloader and dont want to waste my warranty!
Search tags for this page
how to install custom rom on frf91 nexus one
how to root frf91
how to root frf91 nexus one
how to root nexus one frf91
install-superboot-windows.bat nexus one frf91
root nexus one frf91
root you phone name
root your phone name
root your phone name galaxy s3
superboot for frf91
superboot frf91 download
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.