How To: Root Your Phone From Stock FRF91

This is a discussion on How To: Root Your Phone From Stock FRF91 within the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's forums, part of the Nexus One category; If your phone is currently running Android Froyo FRF91 as downloaded from Google or the OTA update, here is how to unlock your bootloader and ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Root Your Phone From Stock FRF91

How To: Root Your Phone From Stock FRF91

If your phone is currently running Android Froyo FRF91 as downloaded from Google or the OTA update, here is how to unlock your bootloader and root your phone.

1. Unlock the bootloader
      Detailed instructions here, but essentially boot into fastboot and issue the fastboot oem unlock command. Note that this will do a factory restore, but if you've enabled web backup, all your applications will be downloaded again upon reboot. Boot normally to ensure everything is running fine after the restore.
    2. Flash the Amon-RA recovery image
      Download the latest image and follow directions here. Essentially, boot into fastboot again and issue fastboot flash recovery path-to-downloaded-file.img. This allows you to install custom packages.
    3. Download root package
      [ame=http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67676#post67676]Download the "update.zip" file from the "Root" section here[/ame] containing su, superuser.apk, and busybox and copy it to your phone's SD card. Boot your phone into recovery mode (which will be the new Amon-RA recovery mode) and Flash the zip file.
    4. Reboot and enjoy
      Applications requiring root will now function! Take screenshots, etc.

** Be sure to checksum all downloaded files against the MD5 hashes listed with the files! ** A corrupt download here can do bad things to your phone.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Has anyone tried it yet?
    I'm a n00b at this and I have a Stock unlocked never-rooted Nexus One and I am kinda panicking looking at so many threads on the internet on how to root a N1

Would rather wait until someone tries it out first and posts.

Thanks

Done it this morning and I have super user permission, so it works, happy rooting

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    my other phone's a nexus too

@tonybhoy does this wipe your device data (apps, settings and personal data)?
    If yes, what app did you use on your non-rooted phone and did the restore work fine?

In step 2 above, Did you use the stock recovery or the Cyanogen recovery?

In step 3 above, did you install ALL the 4 of the files mentioned below?
    There is an official FRF85B to FRF91 update (considering I'm ALREADY on FRF91?)
    There is a link that says 'without radio image'
    Root
    Addons

I'm trying to create a small YouTube video and everything in 1 zip file for those n00bs like me who are worried at their first time rooting their precious N1

Thanks for confirming the method works

I have a never before rooted FRF91 and this doesn't work. You need to have your phone rooted in order to complete step 2.

Pre-Requirements :
    - unlocked bootloader :
    How to unlock the bootloader.
    - root access :
    Modaco's superboot.

Oh shucks. Now this changes everything. Gotta start looking for a easy/fail-proof method to root a stock N1 running stock FRF91 never rooted :|

Quote Originally Posted by zyb5000 View Post
    I have a never before rooted FRF91 and this doesn't work. You need to have your phone rooted in order to complete step 2.

Pre-Requirements :
    - unlocked bootloader :
    - root access :
    Modaco's superboot.
    last night i was on frf91,today im on frf91 rooted so it worked for me mate,follow the steps and it takes 10-15 mins

@tonybhoy I think what @zyb5000 means here is that you might have had root access before doing rooting your FRF91.

Now that I track back, here's what I think should be done:
    1. Downgrade to EPE76
    [TIPS] Stuck On FRF91? Want To Downgrade To Get Root? Click Here! - xda-developers

2. Get Root Access
    24/Jun ERD79 -> FRF83 - Superboot - rooting the Nexus One - Android @ MoDaCo

3. Flash recovery
    24/Feb 1.6.2 - RA-nexus Recovery Image - Android @ MoDaCo

4. Get the FRF91 based ROM
    02/Jul r21 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for Nexus One with Online Kitchen - Froyo FRF91 - Android @ MoDaCo

Can someone please confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post

Pre-Requirements :
    - unlocked bootloader :
    - root access :
    Modaco's superboot.
    last night i was on frf91,today im on frf91 rooted so it worked for me mate,follow the steps and it takes 10-15 mins
    Thats fantastic.

I have the following file on my device

/system/etc/install-recovery.sh

which means every time I load recovery it loads into the stock recovery instead of the Amon_RA recovery mode. In order to load into Amon RA recovery mode I have to delete that file.

I need root (su) in order to delete that file. Which is why the guy listed root as a prereq.

You've probably rooted your phone before so you most likely did not have this issue.

Anyone know how to root FRF91 with an unlocked device?

Pre-Requirements :
    - unlocked bootloader :
    - root access :
    Modaco's superboot.
    Did you actually try it? I noticed the Superboot requirement on that page as well, but I tried it anyway and it went through with no problem for me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Ads