HOW TO: Easy manual update to latest OTA Update

This is a discussion on HOW TO: Easy manual update to latest OTA Update within the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's forums, part of the Nexus One category; No computer required! - For all users wishing to update who are still waiting for the official OTA update and cannot wait any longer, do ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Easy manual update to latest OTA Update

HOW TO: Easy manual update to latest OTA Update

No computer required! - For all users wishing to update who are still waiting for the official OTA update and cannot wait any longer, do not despair! There is another way, follow these instructions!

Note: These instructions are for users with stock ROM and stock recovery ROM (I.e. anyone who hasn't tried rooting their phone! See this page on MoDaCo forum for update instructions if you have rooted your Nexus already.)

1. Go to Android Market and search for AndroZip, Download & Install
    2. Open your browser and type in http://tinyurl.com/ycfg2xr to open this page from your phone (unless your already reading this page on your phone!) then click one of the following links to download the update:
      https://android.clients.google.com/u...9.a487b405.zip
      OR THIS (Same file, different server)
      http://www.romraid.com/paul/nexusone...9.a487b405.zip
    3. Open AndroZip from the Apps menu (Do not open the ZIP directly from downloads menu)
    4. From AndroZip, go to the ./sdcard/download folder
    5. Hold down on the zip file you just downloaded until a menu appears, select 'Rename'
    6. Rename the file to update.zip, press OK
    7. Hold down on the zip file again, this time select 'Move'
    8. Navigate to the ./sdcard folder (Root of SD Card) and press OK to move the file
    9. Switch off phone, now hold the volume down key whilst pressing the On button, the Google Recovery menu should appear
    10. Use up/down arrow keys and select 'Recovery' by pressing power key to select
    11. Wait until a warning triangle appears then hold the volume UP key and the power key until another small menu fills the top of the screen Some users have found holding volume UP key first, then power key or other way round works better
    12. Select 'apply sdcard: update.zip', press the trackball to select this time
    13. Wait a couple of minutes until it asks you to reboot, select the reboot option (radio ROM now updates)
    14. The phone will restart and take longer than usual to boot, once it has, the update is complete!

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

On step 2...do you put the link in the url box of the browser or so you open the browser and come to this thread and click the link?

Quote Originally Posted by sssjetson View Post
    On step 2...do you put the link in the url box of the browser or so you open the browser and come to this thread and click the link?
    Specifically, I clicked the link in the thread but either way should work fine. Make sure you've downloaded AndroZip first though otherwise the browser refuses to download the file as it doesn't recognise the 'ZIP' format.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by sssjetson View Post
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
    No problem, I've added a TINY URL now to the isntructions so you can get to this page quicker from your Android browser. Let me know how you get on!

Worked for me but at Step 12 I had to push the trackball instead of the power key.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbobalu View Post
    Worked for me but at Step 12 I had to push the trackball instead of the power key.
    Noted and changed! Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Good job Iggy..most thorough guide yet!
    Thanks very much! I find the other forums assume everyone knows too much already, so I try and make any guides I write as thorough as possible!

during the install it tells me

E:Can't Open /cache/recovery/command

is this normal?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads