Reverse Tether - Getting Internet on your phone

This is a discussion on Reverse Tether - Getting Internet on your phone within the Nexus One FAQ & How-To's forums, part of the Nexus One category; GoofyG28, My PC is a new Vaio Z series with Win 7 and I have the latest version of Connectify. I also have updated my ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reverse Tether - Getting Internet on your phone

GoofyG28,

My PC is a new Vaio Z series with Win 7 and I have the latest version of Connectify. I also have updated my N1 to FRF85B. Still no joy. I notice that on Connectify only lets me select the "Wireless Network Connection" in the box next to "Wi-Fi" yet when I go to "Network and Sharing Centre" it shows Connectify using the virtual wireless connection. Maybe this is related to the problem??

BTW - my N1 has no problem connecting to all other normal hotspots.

I notice you're in Singapore. Are you using Connectify along with a US proxy server to gain access to a better app marketplace? Does this actually work?

Thanks, BF

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fella View Post
    GoofyG28,

My PC is a new Vaio Z series with Win 7 and I have the latest version of Connectify. I also have updated my N1 to FRF85B. Still no joy. I notice that on Connectify only lets me select the "Wireless Network Connection" in the box next to "Wi-Fi" yet when I go to "Network and Sharing Centre" it shows Connectify using the virtual wireless connection. Maybe this is related to the problem??

BTW - my N1 has no problem connecting to all other normal hotspots.

I notice you're in Singapore. Are you using Connectify along with a US proxy server to gain access to a better app marketplace? Does this actually work?

Thanks, BF
    I haven't tried Connectify with FRF85B. I'll give it a shot later.

I'm actually from the US, but I currently work/live in Singapore. In order for me to access the paid apps, my workaround is to stick in an old Cingular (yes, Cingular... haha) SIM card that is already deactivated and no longer usable. When I use that SIM card, I can see all the paid apps via wifi, but the "top paid apps" tab is missing in the market. For updating any paid apps, I also have to insert my Cingular SIM card.

I actually did try using Connectify when connected to my company's VPN (US based IP address), but that didn't work. Haven't tried a proxy yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoofyG28 View Post
    I use my N1 on Connectify (Win7) all the time. No problems... except for last night. My N1 was having wifi connectivity issues (which it sometimes does) connecting to either my friend's wifi router or Connectify. My laptop (Thinkpad X200T) was able to connect to the router no prob, so I thought I'd turn on Connectify for my N1. However, my N1 was stuck at "Obtaining IP Address...". Similarly, when connecting to the router, my N1 would try to connect, then says "disconnected" -- and this cycle repeats itself infinitely.

I was using FRF73 last night. Just now, I upgraded to FRF85B (T-Mobile), so maybe my N1's wifi is more stable.

BTW, I did nothing specify with my Connectify. I ran the wizard and got everything up and running. I also upgraded to version 2 (or was it 2.1) last night.
    I was also having a very similar issue to what you described. For me, disabling my Windows Firewall did the trick.

That said, I haven't put much effort into isolating exactly what was causing it yet, but if disabling it works for you as well and you find out if it was a blocked port, program, or otherwise, please share.

EDIT:
    By the way, thanks SO much for posting this Fury. Connectify was exactly what I needed.

I tried connectify but my nexus only ever got as far as obtaining ip, my mom's iphone wasn't able to connect either.

After searching on the internet I eventually found this: Virtual Router - Wifi Hot Spot for Windows 7 / 2008 R2 , it worked for both the iphone and my nexus.

i m sorry to say but u dnt need any special software to do this.. u can create an ad-hoc networking from ur wi-fi settings in any windows..

Quote Originally Posted by sumit221287 View Post
    i m sorry to say but u dnt need any special software to do this.. u can create an ad-hoc networking from ur wi-fi settings in any windows..
    Care to provide a description of how one would set this up? What if I am running Linux?
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links