Angry Birds update!

This is a discussion on Angry Birds update! within the Nexus One Games forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by N1David Originally Posted by Beer Goggles Originally Posted by N1David There is a new permission on this update. I don't remember what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angry Birds update!

Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post

There is a new permission on this update. I don't remember what it was. But I have a feeling that is why it is a manual update - they usually happen when there is a permission change.
    Ok, I guess I should have worded it differently. I understand that manual updates are due to permission changes.

Why the permissions changes?

Now I understand it has to do with ads.

Soooo many applications are now being left un-updated on my phone for this very reason. I don't want every application using my GPS location, thank you very much.
    WOW! Thanks Beer Goggles, I never put the two together (ads and GPS location). I have my GPS turned on just in case the boss wanted to see where I was during the day and never gave it much thought...
    Thanks to your posting I have a different take on it...now it is in my head that every app I use that has ads, they know my GPS location. Yikes, kinda creepy isn't it?
    You're quite welcome.

I do think that sometimes we forget that in the mobile advertising world, they want to target you down to your current location.

I used to really like Live Scores. But since Yahoo apparently got hold of it, now it wants to grab my GPS...... DELETED!!!

I have turned off my GPS now. I rarely use the map app for directions, don't use anything really that requires GPS anymore.

I went to update mine this morning and it wouldn't let me install. So I uninstalled the version and downloaded again. Still wouldn't install. Tried to restore from my backup on Titanium backup. Wouldn't install. Now I don't have the game anymore. Don't know what to do. Rooted and running CM6.1.0-RC1

Helpppppp

Soooo many applications are now being left un-updated on my phone for this very reason. I don't want every application using my GPS location, thank you very much.
    Amen, brother. Too bad there wasn't a way to mark apps as "ignore" so you don't get the update notice.

Quote Originally Posted by jonno2k View Post
    Amen, brother. Too bad there wasn't a way to mark apps as "ignore" so you don't get the update notice.
    You really have your GPS switched on while playing games? :rofl3:
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Hehe well I was talking more specifically about the apps being left un-updated, not necessarily because of GPS.

Having said that, the way the position service works in Android is app developers can request various levels of the location service. The user's location may not necessarily be determined by GPS but may be wifi or through the cell network so the precision isn't as great but it's still a location. Thus having the GPS turned off won't stop an app from getting your general location if you've given it permission.

And I generally leave GPS on all the time. I don't know why... perhaps so it's ready when I need it.

having the GPS turned off won't stop an app from getting your general location if you've given it permission.
    They're spying on you and plan to steal your identity Either that or they just want to make the ads more localized.
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    I leave the GPS enabled. I don't want to be switching in on and off all of the time. When an application, like maps, is launched, the GPS gets actually used.

So, yes, I do have my GPS "switched" on while playing games and everything else.

Hehe well I was talking more specifically about the apps being left un-updated, not necessarily because of GPS.

Having said that, the way the position service works in Android is app developers can request various levels of the location service. The user's location may not necessarily be determined by GPS but may be wifi or through the cell network so the precision isn't as great but it's still a location. Thus having the GPS turned off won't stop an app from getting your general location if you've given it permission.

And I generally leave GPS on all the time. I don't know why... perhaps so it's ready when I need it.
    This is only true (the underlined part above) if you have Wi-Fi location enabled, which I don't.

I guess I don't get why it's important for one's location to remain unknown to a game. These finnish guys writing this game Angry Birds for example - they don't care where an individual is that plays their game.

The only reason it does want to know is so that the ads that you do get, and unless you block ads you will get some, are more local. For example, I'm in Germany so I get was getting German ads. I don't want any ads, but at least the ones I got are for products/services in the country I'm in and could potentially be useful.

Imagine you were considering changing your ISP and while playing the game you saw an ad (from your own country or even more localized, your own city) telling you about a great deal from an ISP. Wouldn't you rather see that (if you had to see an ad at all) than one from another country because the ad mob couldn't figure out where you are.

I'm all about turning off the location for things like facebook, twitter any other social network service. I don't want my location plastered around these and any other websites (e.g. this one) whenever I post/tweet. Worrying about some random app that's just trying to localize their ads is a waste of effort though, and is definitely not a good sole reason to deliberately not let the app update and miss out on a bunch of new levels.

I say install adfree, update the apps, and enjoy them

btw, I was installing a game the other day and when I played it the first time it said something along the lines of "We see you've got AdFree installed - you get only 20 plays of this game and then you must either uninstall adfree or buy the paid version of this game". I expect there'll be a game of cat and mouse between adfree and the apps from now on (somewhat like anti-virus software and the viruses).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links