Android Games vs Iphone

This is a discussion on Android Games vs Iphone within the Nexus One Games forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by C-Style Originally Posted by leedaddy29 Im doing my part to help the android community....Ive already emailed 5 different developers askign them to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Android Games vs Iphone

Quote Originally Posted by C-Style View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leedaddy29 View Post
    Im doing my part to help the android community....Ive already emailed 5 different developers askign them to make an app for android.
    I kinda like your innocence. Lol...but it "kinda" sounded like:

I did my part to help the unemployed, I told them to get a job.
    That just caught my funny bone!!! :rofl3:

Quote Originally Posted by johnny cizzle View Post
    it's more to do with storage space limitations
    I never understood why android phone have such poor app storage. I understand that because Android is linux-based its apps need to be on the Ext3 formatted internal memory while the SD card needs to be FAT32 to be cross platform compatible.

I don't know why they can't just put like 1 or 2 GB internal memory. That would be more than enough for tons of apps. Even the most advanced phone on the market today(N1) an dit still is limited to 192MB? What the hell?

Its the only decent criticism of the N1 or Android left now that we have multi touch. My guess is that the N2 will have plenty of internal space.

Are there any fun android games out there? They all seem boring like Abduction and Bebble. I want a Rolando or a Canabalt!

These past six months have seen an explosion of phones and other devices intended to take on the iPhone, feature by feature. Competing with the iPhone would have been difficult, were it not for Google Android. Like Microsoft's Windows Mobile, Google has developed an operating system that can be used (mostly) on phones, but other devices as well.
    Unlike the iPhone, the Android OS is open to all comers; any phone carrier or laptop manufacturer can use Android in their own devices. Unlike Windows Mobile, Android has been stable and crash-free since its first release, and frequent updates are making Windows Mobile devices look positively antique in comparison.

ok, from a dev perspective, this is the only reason why there hasn't been many games with stunning graphics - the hardware

let's face it, iphone/ipod touch utilize powerful GPUs (not standalone GPUs though, more like built-in graphics unit within the CPU) which not every android device on the market has, so it is not market share that we should blame. that being said, if google's initial strategy follows what apple has been doing, and shoves a good GPU into the only "gphone" since day one, then we'd see those games with stunning graphics ported to android within the first month it released

another slightly minor factor is android's dev framework. we all know (or might not) that android's apps are mostly running on their altered Java virtual machine, aka Dalvik. That simply means these programs go through one more layer to get presented to us users face, and slows down by not just a small amount. good news is that it was soon changed when google released the NDK (native development kit), which allows developers to access more directly to the hardware layer (like the GPU, or more appropriately the graphics core in the CPU) and therefore we see those android versions of gameloft's games (yes, assassin's creed etc, with same quality as iphone/ipod touch's, when you have a capable device). the NDK approach is more like what iphone os has to offer, and that's their only framework to develop on (not to mention how nasty objective-c is)

this is going to be changed again when android 2.2 gets officially released - OpenGL ES 2.0 support, and overall system performance boost thanks to JIT (just-in-time compilation, which boots the performance by 2-5 times compare to <=android 2.1). the change is positive, of course

after all, it's again the matter of the hardware, not market or android (the operating system) themselves that limited those developers/companies to pour in time, money and manpower to create/port nice games on our phone

Quote Originally Posted by l3iodeez View Post
    I never understood why android phone have such poor app storage. I understand that because Android is linux-based its apps need to be on the Ext3 formatted internal memory while the SD card needs to be FAT32 to be cross platform compatible.

I don't know why they can't just put like 1 or 2 GB internal memory. That would be more than enough for tons of apps. Even the most advanced phone on the market today(N1) an dit still is limited to 192MB? What the hell?

Its the only decent criticism of the N1 or Android left now that we have multi touch. My guess is that the N2 will have plenty of internal space.
    android 2.2 allows you to store apps on the sd card, when developers decide to add that feature in

and btw, if you have a android device, why don't you try those custom roms that have app2sd approach already - which only requires you to have an ext-2/3/4 partition on your sd card. the apps can run seamlessly and smoothly on your sd card

WOOZY thanks for the information..I learned so much in one thread...I am ordering a 16gb SD card too which would seriously help my individiual situation with T-mo. Til their upgraded service comes to my area, I am doing everything to free up memory on my phone and it is working great...got all my music in the clouds and definately an improvement.
    CM7.0.3
    Overclocked 1113

Quote Originally Posted by woozyking View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by l3iodeez View Post

android 2.2 allows you to store apps on the sd card, when developers decide to add that feature in

and btw, if you have a android device, why don't you try those custom roms that have app2sd approach already - which only requires you to have an ext-2/3/4 partition on your sd card. the apps can run seamlessly and smoothly on your sd card
    well maybe now they will start to build heavier games then
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

i just want my bejewelled blitz! still no signs of it.

another factor that hinders good games on android is piracy. iphone has way less since you have to jailbreak to be able to pirate. piracy is built in on android.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links