Sprint cancels Nexus One

This is a discussion on Sprint cancels Nexus One within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; First, Verizon changed their mind about the Google Phone after releasing the similar HTC Incredible. Now Sprint, weeks before the release of the Evo 4G, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprint cancels Nexus One

Sprint cancels Nexus One

First, Verizon changed their mind about the Google Phone after releasing the similar HTC Incredible. Now Sprint, weeks before the release of the Evo 4G, has done the same. And with that, the CDMA Nexus One is all but dead.

When Sprint's Michelle Leff Mermelstein told us that the company wouldn't be selling the Nexus One because of the "upcoming availability of the award-winning Evo 4G," it didn't change much for your average user. The Evo, like the Incredible, looks at least as enticing as the Nexus One, and even shares a lot of the same hardware. Where it diverges, Sprint says it's a "more robust, full-featured device," which, well, it is.

Read the entire article at Gizmodo: Sprint Won't Sell the Nexus One - Sprint Nexus One - Gizmodo

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I fully expected this. The world market favoring GSM made the call easier, but I have to wonder if the aluminum case on the N1 caused problems for the antenna...the plastic versions (Incredible) seem fine so far.

Sprint and Verizon are POS companies...

Jesus, I already have my T-Mobile version and it doesn't hurt me but I really don't like Sprint (and Verizon) giving hopeful N1 customers the finger.

Its not that they just said no to subsidizing the phone... its that since they work off a CDMA network (non sim cards) they will just block the phone entirely off their network. Even if you had a Sprint compatible version and called them up to activate it they would tell you no. Greedy SOB's. :mad:

I wanted the N1 to become a smartphone standard across all 4 carriers so that Google would continue to produce it for a LONG time and come out with subsequent versions over time. But with just two carriers supporting it I am scared Google might abandon it long term due to low sales.

Sprint cans Nexus One in favor of EVO 4G -- Engadget

The Nexus One is such a cool phone. I love it, but I despise it on T-Mobile. I regret being an early adopter of this phone and am equally disappointed with the lack of solution relative to the 3G connection issues.

All that being said, I am not surprised AT ALL that both Verizon and now Sprint have declined to sell this phone. I think Google is attempting to correct its mistakes with the the Nexus One through the Incredible. Experiences like this only drive customers right back to the iPhone. I really felt like this phone was going to take off and do some special things, but Google really dug it's own grave with this. You have to crawl before you can walk.

I was already a T-Mobile customer without a contract and only biding my time until the release of the next generation iPhone and potential jump to Verizon, but that was taking too long and Nexus One came along. I am pissed that I went into another 2 year deal with T-Mobile and this "NO G" experience. I was doing better with my Blackberry which I miss everyday relative to email consistency.

This just nail N1's fate, or it defines as a failure.
    Verizon and Sprint just didn't want to go through the trouble of getting a bad image with frustrated customers, because of this phone.

I am sure both Verizon and Sprint tested the phone on their network and decided against it.
    Their decision says it all.

All your speculation could just as well be a damnation of the technology that Sprint and Verizon choose to use in the face of worldwide preference. I heard more than once that CDMA was killing batteries on prototype N1's...instead of slamming Google, why aren't we questioning (again) why these providers insist on staying with an outdated, outmoded, internationally unpopular technology?

The N1 IS a phenomenal phone, period. So is the Incredible, it's close cousin. Why slam Google in this? Why call the N1 a failure? I just dont see it, personally.

Well really I could care les about cmda. It sucks for customers but god for business, apple wont even bother making a version because out dated technology that will soon be changing.
    The thing I am interested in is what will google do? One of the main reasons the n1 exists is because of testing their own technology and development. Google uses the phone themselves and is a phone that comes in a ' stock' format ui. I think google will continue to do this especially with the increase popularity in android.
    Im also not sad to have a ' rare' phone now
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Re: Sprint cancels Nexus One

I agree with the last two replies. CDMA is an outdated old technology that Google doesn't see a future in. The world has been moving to GSM. Even in Canada, Bell Mobility and Telus switched to GSM and are readying an LTE network like Rogers Wireless too. Yet Sprint and Verizon are still living in the past and releasing CDMA smartphones that makes it hard for world travellers to easily switch SIMs to force them to use their expensive roaming charges.

It's year 2010 and GSM is taking over. I suggest and really recommend that no one sign a contract with any CDMA network.

You want a Nexus One? Get on a GSM network. That's it.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

GSM is better imo. Most of the world uses it. Why get CDMA when only a tiny few carriers use it?

*EDIT*
    CDMA is actually the superior while GSM is the older technology. GSM is slower but can do simutanously data/voice. CDMA is faster but can't. I'm still with GSM though, the market share of GSM vs CDMA is ridicously one sided.
    Froyo 2.2 Stock
    RA-nexus-v1.7.0
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ezeddiekun View Post
    CDMA is actually the superior while GSM is the older technology. GSM is slower but can do simutanously data/voice. CDMA is faster but can't. I'm still with GSM though, the market share of GSM vs CDMA is ridicously one sided.
    AT&T has the fastest network, faster than Verizon. Sprint is marginally faster than T-mo if IRK
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links