Android 2.2 Desktop on the Nexus One

This is a discussion on Android 2.2 Desktop on the Nexus One within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by xsasha92x Originally Posted by dd4005 Originally Posted by mightytalldude I have a co-worker who just picked up an Incredible last week and ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Android 2.2 Desktop on the Nexus One

Quote Originally Posted by xsasha92x View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mightytalldude View Post
    I have a co-worker who just picked up an Incredible last week and was trying to rub my nose on how his was better and my phone is now obsolete.
    In what way does your co-worker think the incredible is better ? What does it have or do that the nexus one doesn't have or can't do?
    8mp camera vs. 5mp
    8gb Internal memory + micro sdhc vs. micro sdhc
    optical trackpad vs. trackball
    pocket safe vs. nothing safe
    Verizon vs. CRAP
    Incredible vs. Terrible
    Android+Sense vs. Android
    Able to See and Purchase in-store vs. Online Only
    Much More...
    Weak. I think they are pretty much the same phone, and the camera has already been proven to be equal or better on the N1. The Incredible Camera Showdown: Droid Incredible VS Nexus One – Android and Me

I have a co-worker who just picked up an Incredible last week and was trying to rub my nose on how his was better and my phone is now obsolete.
    In what way does your co-worker think the incredible is better ? What does it have or do that the nexus one doesn't have or can't do?
    8mp camera vs. 5mp
    Verizon vs. CRAP
    Incredible vs. Terrible
    Much More...
    I'll give you the 8mp, and the 8gb, You got 2 right off the bat.
    The trackball has multi functions, controlled web page navigation, visual notifications, push to wake w/ nolock, color notifications with root or 2.2 Froyo vs. web page navigation, not much else that optical track pad does.:nexusx:
    Nexus One in a jean pocket, sit down = broken screen vs. Incredible in jean pocket, sit down = broken screen. Go ahead and try that pocket safe Incredible. :rofl3:
    GSM Talk/surf & text & navigate vs. CDMA Talk OR surf, text, navigate, you choose:nexusx:
    TMO, ATT, Vodafone, Rogers, Wind etc. can accept other sim cards for overseas travel as they operate on GSM 3G and are HSPA+ capable, plus they can be set up for dual carrier sim operation vs. CDMA Sorry, no sims, no such luck:nexusx:
    Aluminum phone subframe vs. plastic all the way through:nexusx:
    Sleek design vs. back of a clothes washer design, that's the best way to describe it:nexusx:
    Noise cancelling dual mics, vs single mic:nexusx:
    Crappy speaker vs. still fairly crappy speaker but improved, you win another one
    Android 2.1/2.2 vs. Carrier/phone locked Sense UI with a neat little animated weather clock widget. (Update: 2.2 to roll out to Nexus One, Motorola Droid first, Incredible & EVO some unknown time after 2.2 launch) And why are people asking how to turn off Sense UI on the Incredible and other Sense UI phones to get to base Android?:nexusx:
    Flash 10.1 (with 2.2) vs. Flash Lite (Flash 10.1 some unknown time after 2.2 launch):nexusx:
    Unlocked contract free phone, or $179 2 yr on TMO vs. tied to 2 yr contract only:nexusx:
    Direct First OTA's from Google vs. Unknown Carrier OTA:nexusx:
    HTC tech support / Google tech support & tech boards for suggestions, ideas, fixes of which most of 2.2 new features are attributed vs. Carrier locked features which will borrow the suggestions, ideas & fixes from Google:nexusx:
    In stock, available online for remaining limited time for US, Canada, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc, in stores in the near future vs. in stores only, and only in the United States.:nexusx:
    Exclusive game changing phone that raised the smart phone bar vs. the next mass produced same as everyone else motorola razr (did I mention OTA updates come to standard android OS first):nexusx:
    Android based phone vs. Android based phone

Of course the Incredible will have improved features over the Nexus One, if they didn't, then why would they produce the phone? It's progress, but not necessarily better in all aspects.

So by my count, You win 3 of those arguments.

Hey..3 outta 17 ain't bad! :rofl3:

8mp camera vs. 5mp
    Verizon vs. CRAP
    Incredible vs. Terrible
    Much More...
    The trackball has multi functions, controlled web page navigation, visual notifications, push to wake w/ nolock, color notifications with root or 2.2 Froyo vs. web page navigation, not much else that optical track pad does.:nexusx:
    Nexus One in a jean pocket, sit down = broken screen vs. Incredible in jean pocket, sit down = broken screen. Go ahead and try that pocket safe Incredible. :rofl3:
    GSM Talk/surf & text & navigate vs. CDMA Talk OR surf, text, navigate, you choose:nexusx:
    TMO, ATT, Vodafone, Rogers, Wind etc. can accept other sim cards for overseas travel as they operate on GSM 3G and are HSPA+ capable, plus they can be set up for dual carrier sim operation vs. CDMA Sorry, no sims, no such luck:nexusx:
    Sleek design vs. back of a clothes washer design, that's the best way to describe it:nexusx:
    Crappy speaker vs. still fairly crappy speaker but improved, you win another one
    Android 2.1/2.2 vs. Carrier/phone locked Sense UI with a neat little animated weather clock widget. (Update: 2.2 to roll out to Nexus One, Motorola Droid first, Incredible & EVO some unknown time after 2.2 launch) And why are people asking how to turn off Sense UI on the Incredible and other Sense UI phones to get to base Android?:nexusx:
    Flash 10.1 (with 2.2) vs. Flash Lite (Flash 10.1 some unknown time after 2.2 launch):nexusx:
    Unlocked contract free phone, or $179 2 yr on TMO vs. tied to 2 yr contract only:nexusx:
    HTC tech support / Google tech support & tech boards for suggestions, ideas, fixes of which most of 2.2 new features are attributed vs. Carrier locked features which will borrow the suggestions, ideas & fixes from Google:nexusx:
    In stock, available online for remaining limited time for US, Canada, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Singapore, etc, in stores in the near future vs. in stores only, and only in the United States.:nexusx:
    Exclusive game changing phone that raised the smart phone bar vs. the next mass produced same as everyone else motorola razr (did I mention OTA updates come to standard android OS first):nexusx:

Of course the Incredible will have improved features over the Nexus One, if they didn't, then why would they produce the phone? It's progress, but not necessarily better in all aspects.

Well put! Except the 8mp camera turns out to be a worse camera. So Ill give them the 8g internal memory. However I am running App2SD on my phone with a 16g SD card, since it would really take 1000 apps to even get close to a gig in memory, the internal memory is sorta a moot point as it is going to be used for movies and music which a SD card can be used just fine, plus can be removed, but still I would have liked to have a bit more internal memory off the bat, but it is clear that the N1 was made with app2sd in mind having the memory it came with.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

8mp camera vs. 5mp
    More pixels doesn't always mean better quality. Take Canon's example when their G10 had more pixels than the G9. People complained it wasn't better. When they released the G11 (which I have) it went backwards and had less pixels. An increase in pixels is only good accompanied by an increase in sensor size (so the pixels are bigger). Making more pixels in the same size sensor is bad for a camera (although good for a display).

Having more memory is always a good idea, but as others have said the apps2sd app solves that anyway, plus I haven't ever had less than 50MB so I don't personally need that. But I admit it's a win.

If it's anything like a trackpad on a laptop then I'm glad I don't have that. I hate trackpads. You have said optical trackpad though, not sure what that would be like. Can't say I'm jealous of it though.

Don't know what that means. Is it an app? Some sort of safety mechanism to keep data safe? Or are you saying it's safe to put in your pocket? Again, doesn't sound interesting.

Verizon vs. CRAP
    Well that's not a feature of a phone, that's just the American phone market screwing you all over by not letting you choose the provider of choice. As far as I know, all other civilized countries let you choose any provider.

Incredible vs. Terrible
    Terrible? In what way is the incredible (lower-case i) Nexus One terrible? It's the most awesome superphone I've ever known.

I'm still loving the Android UI. I don't know if Sense is better, but why do people want to turn it off? Can you turn off the Sense UI on the Droid Incredible? Mmmmmm ... Not just yet | Android Central

Again probably just a US-market thing only.

You guys in the US should revolt, stand up against these restrictive practices and stop allowing them to tie a phone to a service provider. It makes no sense. Yes of course the service providers discount the phones (just like they do in the rest of the world) but there's no reason a phone should be exclusive to a provider (they're not in the rest of the world). Personally I always buy my phones without the discount and I save even more money by not being tied to a ridiculously high monthly charge. I'm paying about $11 a month on my phone+flat-rate 3G SIM card. You get a better rate when they haven't had to buy your phone for you.

I'll admit that the Incredible does have some minor wins over the Nexus One, but it's not all wins. It probably scores more points in a comparison, but it's damn close. It's certainly not a new generation or anything. If Nexus One could be considered the 2nd generation of Android phones, then Incredible is 2.01 (very small increment).
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Quote Originally Posted by dimmakherbs View Post

8mp camera vs. 5mp
    Verizon vs. CRAP
    Incredible vs. Terrible
    Much More...

Well put! Except the 8mp camera turns out to be a worse camera. So Ill give them the 8g internal memory. However I am running App2SD on my phone with a 16g SD card, since it would really take 1000 apps to even get close to a gig in memory, the internal memory is sorta a moot point as it is going to be used for movies and music which a SD card can be used just fine, plus can be removed, but still I would have liked to have a bit more internal memory off the bat, but it is clear that the N1 was made with app2sd in mind having the memory it came with.
    Even though DROID Incredible has all the advantage, after the release of FROYO in this Wednesday or soon, Nexus One will still own Incredible because FROYO is only for Nexus One, not for other phones.. (for now)

8mp camera vs. 5mp
    Verizon vs. CRAP
    Incredible vs. Terrible
    Much More...

I'm really looking forward to what is coming with FroYo 2.2. It is optimized for the Nexus One specifically, and updated for the Moto Droid with the new features as they are native Android OS machines, but the Droid will not get all the updates as there are obvious hardware differences. Reading through Google's tech issue pages, they have taken many of the suggestions from users and even harsh feedback to help create a better product, aka 2.2+. I applaud Google for branching out and trying a new form of distribution with the Nexus One. It can be argued it was a failure, and a success at the same time. It was a pioneer attempt at selling a product for Google. Downside, you couldn't handle the product, however I had an advantage before I bought my phone as I know a former Google employee (ex girlfriend) who got the Nexus One as an employee Christmas gift, so I was able to see the unit in person way back in December. Before you ask, no she doesn't have 2.2 on her Nexus One, I've already asked.....repeatedly.

The Nexus One does one thing perfectly, and that is, push the limits of what Android OS can do, and then pushes it some more. So many people on this forum have rooted their phones to unlock additional potential of this phone, OC, UV, multi color trackball, Tethering, Extra RAM, Custom roms, OS tweaks, but yet still haven't unlocked all the secrets this phone has, JIT, Flash 10.1, FM receiver, Wifi N, etc. We've all memorized the system stats for this phone, and the photos of all the key components, and it's a list of who's who in phone components. This wasn't done just as a way to put out a phone, it was done with deliberate thought put into each feature. Period (note to Google again, speaker sucky & antenna placement bad)

There will always be imitators, and arguably the Nexus One is an imitator of the iPhone, but it pushed phone development and OS forward. I don't want the Nexus One to be the top phone next year. If that happens, then we haven't learned or progressed. It's easy for others to bash the Nexus One (online failure, slow seller, problematic, etc) because that's what people want them to believe. But by doing so, it brings out the good and the bad, and that is a great thing. Keep the good, fix the bad. I love showing off my Nexus One, and disproving all the bs that people are led to believe about it, and showing them how great the Android OS truly is. :nexusx:

Oh and finally, I love that I can talk and text/surf at the same time. I'd never make it through long phone conversations with my girlfriend otherwise.

I'm really looking forward to what is coming with FroYo 2.2. It is optimized for the Nexus One specifically, and updated for the Moto Droid with the new features as they are native Android OS machines, but the Droid will not get all the updates as there are obvious hardware differences. Reading through Google's tech issue pages, they have taken many of the suggestions from users and even harsh feedback to help create a better product, aka 2.2+. I applaud Google for branching out and trying a new form of distribution with the Nexus One. It can be argued it was a failure, and a success at the same time. It was a pioneer attempt at selling a product for Google. Downside, you couldn't handle the product, however I had an advantage before I bought my phone as I know a former Google employee (ex girlfriend) who got the Nexus One as an employee Christmas gift, so I was able to see the unit in person way back in December. Before you ask, no she doesn't have 2.2 on her Nexus One, I've already asked.....repeatedly.

The Nexus One does one thing perfectly, and that is, push the limits of what Android OS can do, and then pushes it some more. So many people on this forum have rooted their phones to unlock additional potential of this phone, OC, UV, multi color trackball, Tethering, Extra RAM, Custom roms, OS tweaks, but yet still haven't unlocked all the secrets this phone has, JIT, Flash 10.1, FM receiver, Wifi N, etc. We've all memorized the system stats for this phone, and the photos of all the key components, and it's a list of who's who in phone components. This wasn't done just as a way to put out a phone, it was done with deliberate thought put into each feature. Period (note to Google again, speaker sucky & antenna placement bad)

There will always be imitators, and arguably the Nexus One is an imitator of the iPhone, but it pushed phone development and OS forward. I don't want the Nexus One to be the top phone next year. If that happens, then we haven't learned or progressed. It's easy for others to bash the Nexus One (online failure, slow seller, problematic, etc) because that's what people want them to believe. But by doing so, it brings out the good and the bad, and that is a great thing. Keep the good, fix the bad. I love showing off my Nexus One, and disproving all the bs that people are led to believe about it, and showing them how great the Android OS truly is. :nexusx:

Oh and finally, I love that I can talk and text/surf at the same time. I'd never make it through long phone conversations with my girlfriend otherwise.
    LOL, "I love that I can talk and text/surf at the same time. I'd never make it through long phone conversations with my girlfriend otherwise," you sir speak the truth! Made an account just so I could point that out.

Comparisons between phones once purchased is quite pointless. The electronic device dilemma is that a couple generations of improvements are always near release at one's time of purchase. So bragging points today is merely setting the stage for the words we need to eat tomorrow.

Then there's always the hyperbole of the new product release info. A point is the 8 mg camera vs N1's 5 mg. Haven't heard anyone prove it's any better. I've had my N1 since January. I've learned how to make the battery last all day, also how I don't like the switch on top that is easily tapped to turn the phone in my pocket or holder on and run the battery down. I know most of the phone's features and still don't normally use all of them.

If you believe you have a superior phone, great. I have the N1, I'm happy with it. I have 3 grown sons. 2 of them have the Iphone, 1 uses Blackberry. They enjoy the features of their phones, think they are excellent. None of us claim ours is best, you can't compare them feature for feature. They do many of the same features differently. I'm the only one who needs to think mine is best. Enjoy what you have. It's impossible to keep up.
    :nexusx: Serious Android Fan :nexusx:

Don't see anything in a newer phone that gives me a temptation to leave my Nexus One!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links