Google shutting down online Nexus One store

This is a discussion on Google shutting down online Nexus One store within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; when are they closing the site to buy the phone? im getting mine next tuesday hopefully it is still up...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Google shutting down online Nexus One store

when are they closing the site to buy the phone? im getting mine next tuesday hopefully it is still up

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    I honestly think this is good news. I know many people that wanted the N1 but didn't get it because they didn't get a chance to play with it. It takes ball to do a leap of faith and purchase a phone online without getting to see it first hand.

Here's to my fellow N1 owners who had the balls (and cheers to the few females too)
    You do know iphoneSlayer that balls are for sale on ebay bigger is better

GO SOONERS

I think a smart move would be for T-Mobile to put it in stores. Their best phone is the HD2, which is poop. The best Android is MT3G and a newer slide version coming soon. N1 would be an exclusive to them and follow the tradition of carrying the Google branded phones. I think they would sell well.
    OTOH, t-mo may not want to dwarf the sales of their MT3G phones?
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Anyone know......

any idea how this affects the distribution of otas to exstng n1s? Will they still receive 1st priority or will it be carrier dependent now? Also, does this mean that carriers will change things up within the phone as well, such as ATT disallowing the installation of 3rd party apps?

I'm glad I bought mine from the webstore, buying from a carrier either means you pay A LOT more than normal (US to UK they tend to just change the currency symbol.. a $530 phone in the US would cost 530 in the UK) or you get a subsidised deal, but end up paying through the nose for it and for at the very least 18 months, more like 24 months.

With phone hardware changing on average every 6 months, a 24 month contract is utterly stupid. I mourn the demise of 12 month contracts, they were a better option - but not any more.

If google had opened their webstore to being an android hardware store, it would have *radically* changed the whole market. As it was, they just stuck with their own phone (which altho isnt a bad thing in principle, it has been an exercise of cutting off their nose to spite their teeth). If people had the chance to buy the older android phones (G1 etc) as well as the N1, Desire, Incredible - all sim free at a good price, it would have caused a sea-change in the market.

Still, it's written off as a failed experiment. If this forces the 'partners' to carry the accessories though, I will not be a happy bunny having had imported the car kit recently for way over list thanks to $30 shipping charges...

Oh... that's rather sad... however on the positive side, I am absolutely in love with Android and will never consider any other phone. Hopefully there will be a Nexus Two, and we still have Froyo to look forward to

:nexusx:
    My sigs keep getting

Quote Originally Posted by glyconny View Post
    any idea how this affects the distribution of otas to exstng n1s?
    It doesn't affect OTA updates.

Quote Originally Posted by glyconny View Post
    Will they still receive 1st priority or will it be carrier dependent now?
    The N1 never did have any "1st priority." That's just rhetoric that people on forums were parroting - urban legend. Android software updates are independent from carrier network updates.

Well this is definitely the best android phone that T-mobile has to offer and now that it will be in stores it only gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    when are they closing the site to buy the phone? im getting mine next tuesday hopefully it is still up
    I wonder if there will be a mad rush to buy the N1 before the store is down or if people will be scared away... I'm super glad I've got mine anyway. Android isn't going anywhere and the N1 is such a good platform for it.

I invested in the N1 in the expectation that Google would pursue, support and develop the platform. Instead, after only 4 months they discarded it, like some distracted toddler moving on to a new, more shiny toy.

I've noticed that over the same time period Google Voice has not evolved even slightly. It seems that this too may soon be discarded and forgotten.

So how much faith can you have in a company that merely dabbles in this and that technology, only to abandon them and their users to poorly conceived and half-functional products?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links