Google shutting down online Nexus One store

This is a discussion on Google shutting down online Nexus One store within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; I think something that google dropped the ball on was deciding before hand who was going to be responsible for customer support...big turnoff for some ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Google shutting down online Nexus One store

I think something that google dropped the ball on was deciding before hand who was going to be responsible for customer support...big turnoff for some folks..when a problem came up folks didnt know to call HTC, Google, or T-Mobile. The N1 was brand new and I dont think folks who like cutting edge technology would have been opposed to being beta testers for the first few months, especially buying the phone at a discounted price. Therefore folks would have expected some glitches. Google and Tmo could have learned from all of our input and then released the froyo version for the premium price. Just a woulda coulda shoulda rant LOLOL
    CM7.0.3
    Overclocked 1113

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    I invested in the N1 in the expectation that Google would pursue, support and develop the platform. Instead, after only 4 months they discarded it, like some distracted toddler moving on to a new, more shiny toy.

I've noticed that over the same time period Google Voice has not evolved even slightly. It seems that this too may soon be discarded and forgotten.

So how much faith can you have in a company that merely dabbles in this and that technology, only to abandon them and their users to poorly conceived and half-functional products?
    What? Google hasn't discarded anything. All they did was announce that they would be shutting down the Google store - period.

Android is alive and well. Last month they even outsold the iPhone.

I invested in the N1 in the expectation that Google would pursue, support and develop the platform.
    They are closing the web store. That doesn't mean they aren't going to pursue, support, and develop the platform. Maybe they will, maybe they won't but you aren't giving them much credit...

So how much faith can you have in a company that merely dabbles in this and that technology, only to abandon them and their users to poorly conceived and half-functional products?
    You sound bitter. You think the N1 is poorly conceived and half-functional? Not mine... guess I got lucky. If in 6 months time or a year Google decides to stop supporting the N1 (which I highly doubt) then you can talk about being abandoned. Until then you're just getting worked up over nothing. Android isn't going anywhere so *IF* Google stops supporting the N1, there are plenty of 3rd party ROMs that will continue to support it just as there are now. Not to worry my friend....

What about the Google branded docks? I just bought the car dock today and I still want to buy the home dock. I am starting a new job on Monday so I didn't want to buy both now and not know when my first check will come. Overall though I don't feel abandoned or betrayed like some have said. I actually feel very lucky that i am one of the few that have a very exclusive device unlike everyone else that own an Iphone. I still have people ask me about it on a daily basis and are very impressed. I think Google went out of their way to produce a device as awesome as this and sell it to their most devoted fans. lol

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    The N1 never did have any "1st priority." That's just rhetoric that people on forums were parroting - urban legend. Android software updates are independent from carrier network updates.

Android software updates are not independent of carrier. If they were then we'd all be on 2.1. The difference with the N1, is that because it was the Android "benchmark" phone for Google, distributed by Google, and supported by Google, (in theory), they would get the updates first, from google, without carrier interference. With the web store closure, and the phone now being offered directly by the carriers in their stores, does that also mean that google will defer to the carriers to distribute OTAs such as FROYO, instead of pushing them out themselves? Remember the OTA that came in late Jan. for the N1? that had nothing to do with TMo. However, if you have an eris or moment, or any other android device, you are at the mercy of when your carrier deems the OTA ready for consumption.

The N1 never did have any "1st priority." That's just rhetoric that people on forums were parroting - urban legend. Android software updates are independent from carrier network updates.
    That's nonsense...... where do you think that google develops their software? In some kind of mysterious vacuum somewhere?

It's their Android phone. If the N1 doesn't get first dibs that would be unreal, would it not?

I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that when the store closes we won't be able to get anymore nexus1s? Another words are they going to stop making it or put it in stores now? If they do stop making nexus then what does that mean for insurance on our phones?

Anyway glad I got mines, and yes it is still the best phone t-mobile has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by glyconny View Post
    Android software updates are not independent of carrier. If they were then we'd all be on 2.1. The difference with the N1, is that because it was the Android "benchmark" phone for Google, distributed by Google, and supported by Google, (in theory), they would get the updates first, from google, without carrier interference. With the web store closure, and the phone now being offered directly by the carriers in their stores, does that also mean that google will defer to the carriers to distribute OTAs such as FROYO, instead of pushing them out themselves? .
    The only way I see this becoming a real problem is if HTC moves away from vanilla Android at the carriers request. So they start loading the N1 up with proprietary applications, drivers, etc to customize it for the carrier.

Then we get into a situation where Google releases a new version of Android and HTC must integrate their carrier specific parts into it, delaying the update to customers.

Quote Originally Posted by glyconny View Post
    Android software updates are not independent of carrier...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    That's nonsense...
    You guys need to do some reading about Android.

The closing of the Google store does not in any way interfere with Android OTA updates - chicken little scenario.

Yes the carriers *could* in theory block these data transfers but that would break contractual agreements, and why would they anyway? They all have other Android phones.

One of my students is a senior programmer here at Qualcomm, developer of the chipset used in the N1, and he travels back and forth to the Googleplex frequently (currently working on Google's netbook to be released for the Christmas market.) He assures me all this alarm is unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    That's nonsense...
    You guys need to do some reading about Android.
    You need to reread my post in it's context.....

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links