Google shutting down online Nexus One store

This is a discussion on Google shutting down online Nexus One store within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; You need to do some studying on the history and current state of Android. OTA's such as Doughnut and Eclaire, are released by google to ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Google shutting down online Nexus One store

Keyplyr

You need to do some studying on the history and current state of Android. OTA's such as Doughnut and Eclaire, are released by google to the carriers for distsribution. The carrier then does the necessary testing and modifications to push the OTA for mass consumption. Verizon for example received the 2.1 at the same time as all the other carriers. They, in turn pushed out the update to their droid users fairly quick (late Jan?) because it was running vanilla android, with very strong physical hardware specs. This same update has taken till now to get pushed out to the eris, because of sense and modifications made in order to be run on a device that is not as powerful as the droids.
    No, I don't think the sky is falling lol, but my question is a valid one. The N1 being distributed by google, and unsupported by any carrier (sure TMO subsidized the N1, but distanced itself from the N1 in terms of support and made it perfectly cleat that this was Googles "deal") If the N1 is now being distributed in store by carriers, does that also signal the end of google pushing out updates directly to the N1 customers enmasse w/out carrier interference. Are N1 owners now at the mercy of the carriers to release updates on their schedule? Valid question.

im starting to worry in a panic i almost bought the nexus one 3 weeks ago but because i did not want to spend all my money at the time and left with very little till the next pay day i held off till next tuesday now im starting to think that was a mistake. is there any date that the store will be closing?

Quote Originally Posted by glyconny View Post
    You need to do some studying on the history and current state of Android. OTA's such as Doughnut and Eclaire, are released by google to the carriers for distsribution. The carrier then does the necessary testing and modifications to push the OTA for mass consumption. Verizon for example received the 2.1 at the same time as all the other carriers. They, in turn pushed out the update to their droid users fairly quick (late Jan?) because it was running vanilla android, with very strong physical hardware specs. This same update has taken till now to get pushed out to the eris, because of sense and modifications made in order to be run on a device that is not as powerful as the droids.
    No, I don't think the sky is falling lol, but my question is a valid one. The N1 being distributed by google, and unsupported by any carrier (sure TMO subsidized the N1, but distanced itself from the N1 in terms of support and made it perfectly cleat that this was Googles "deal") If the N1 is now being distributed in store by carriers, does that also signal the end of google pushing out updates directly to the N1 customers enmasse w/out carrier interference. Are N1 owners now at the mercy of the carriers to release updates on their schedule? Valid question.
    No I don't need to do any studying. Been using Android for 2 years. I don't see what you're arguing about.

If by years you mean since 09/08 me too.....

but we're not saying the same thing, except that android is alive and well! You said that OTAs are independent of carriers. I'm saying that except in the case of the N1, OTA's are handled and pushed by the carriers. Case in point with the N1, I purchased 2 N1's, one paid for by work in order to replace a BB running on ATT, and the other for my own private use to run on TMO. When the 2.1 update 1 was issued in late jan. both phones got the updates on the same day. Again, one on Att and the other on TMO. When you have to wait on the carriers to play middle man, you inevitably wait longer, and not all carriers will be releasing OTAs on the same sched. Again, the N1 is THE google phone, only one branded, and supported by google, and as such the first to get any updates from google, with NO carrier interference. And that's the crux of my question, now that Goog is shutting down the store, and allowing the phone to be sold by carriers in stores, thus supported by said carriers, will that also mean that they will relinquish the pushing of the OTAs to the carriers?

OK, according to my source, nothing concerning the Google Online Store closing directly gives Android OTA update control to the carriers. The updates will remain independent of the carriers.

I guess anything is possible in the future, but his reaction was to all the instant panic over this announcement. All Google really said was they have decided to no longer be in the retail business.

At the N1 launch in January we were all full of enthusiasm about what promised to be a new era in personal communications and computing from Google. It wasn't just another Android phone - it was a Google phone!

But in the interim, Google has failed to address major customer complaints and failed to deliver acceptable devices to Verizon and Sprint. And who would have believed in January that four months later Google would be closing the store?

And who will be selling the flawed N1, given that the current competition is the HTC Incredible and given that the Evo 4G and iPhone 4G are looming on the horizon? It takes planning, investment and commitment to support a product. Google has failed to deliver - what provider would be foolish enough to pick up the pieces?

The "sky" may not be falling, but it has definitely gotten pretty dark in here.

Quote Originally Posted by davidalow44 View Post
    At the N1 launch in January we were all full of enthusiasm about what promised to be a new era in personal communications and computing from Google. It wasn't just another Android phone - it was a Google phone!

But in the interim, Google has failed to address major customer complaints and failed to deliver acceptable devices to Verizon and Sprint. And who would have believed in January that four months later Google would be closing the store?

And who will be selling the flawed N1, given that the current competition is the HTC Incredible and given that the Evo 4G and iPhone 4G are looming on the horizon? It takes planning, investment and commitment to support a product. Google has failed to deliver - what provider would be foolish enough to pick up the pieces?

The "sky" may not be falling, but it has definitely gotten pretty dark in here.
    Flawed N1? Buddy, I have had mines for nearly 2 months and its not "flawed".

Google owns android, so i don't think looking at any androis os phones as competition, the iphone 4g will be the only real competitor, but even that will still be an apple product and yea the masses will line up but i bet it will still be basically the iphone 3g in a new skin. Im sure google will not abandon the N1 they will continue to make it better but it will just be moved to the stores and i bet T-mobile will be the exclusive one to pick it up.

does anyone know when the strore will close???
    does anyone know when they will be sold in stores???

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMyNeXus1 View Post
    does anyone know when the strore will close???
    does anyone know when they will be sold in stores???
    From the Official Google Blog post announcing the closer:

Once we have increased the availability of Nexus One devices in stores, we'll stop selling handsets via the web store, and will instead use it as an online store window to showcase a variety of Android phones available globally.
    So, there is no set dates yet.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links