DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide

This is a discussion on DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; Thanks for Your Instructions!!!! 1. Much better touch response. 2. Full Exchange Support!!!! 3. Much Faster. We are finally ready to take on the Iphone!!! ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide

Smile Yes!!!!!! FROYO WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for Your Instructions!!!!

1. Much better touch response.
    2. Full Exchange Support!!!!
    3. Much Faster.

We are finally ready to take on the Iphone!!!

Android All Day!!!!

:nexusx::nexusx::nexusx:

Ok I solved my problem by looking at another thread. This time I just renamed it to update instead of update.zip.

I guess the .zip was already included. It's installing now.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by firechaos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post

Yes...and I noticed no radio update, but I'll check.
    I thought the update is for t-mobile. R u sure nth will happen to my phone if i update it?
    Is your phone a TMO or ATT version? ATT users are reporting the update does NOT work, unless they were rooted. I'm unable to understand why this release would work on rooted, but not on unrooted ATT versions, and doubt it's a different radio (otherwise, it simply wouldn't work on ANY ATT version). If you are unsure, simply wait for the push of the official release.
    Mine is the unlock version, without any contract. After the update will i still be able to connect to my default operator?

Quote Originally Posted by windmill360 View Post
    Ok so i tried this and it didn't work. I have the unlocked Nexus one and am running it on T-mobile.

I downloaded signed-passion-FRF50-from-ERE27.1e519a24 from the link that is there. I renamed it update.zip and just dropped it into the microSD. After step 7 it said:

-- Install from sdcard...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
    E:signature verification failed
    Installation aborted.

What did I do wrong?

I'm no Android developer...but I'm guessing you have an AT&T version of the Nexus One. (Or, to be technical - the Tri band 850 1900 2100 MHz HSDPA/HSUPA version vs the UMTS 900 1700 2100 MHz HSDPA/HSUPA version.)

If you check your phone's Build Number (Settings -> About Phone -> *scroll down!*), you should see BUILD NUMBER: EPE54B.

To the best of my knowledge, this was the build that was released to address some of the "3G Connectivity Issues" with the Nexus One phones on the AT&T 3G network. In a nutshell, the AT&T and the T-Mobile Nexus One utilize slightly different frequencies for their high-speed data connections...as such, the updates to address each package can differ.

Assumptions aside, you're attempting you apply a package intended for a phone with the ERE27 build. This is the current build of Android software found on the T-Mobile version of hardware, not the AT&T version. As far as a rooted phone goes...there's plenty of reasons why the update would apply. One simple answer - the "secure signature" that the update carries is recognized by the software on the stock Nexus One, while ignored by the software on a rooted phone (that is almost always flashed with a custom ROM) - the stock phone doesn't apply the update because it's protecting you from installing an update that may not apply, may not work, or may actually damage/break your phone.

It looks like you might wait a little longer, same as myself. And unless you know a lot about flashing phones (and perhaps you do!), you may just want to wait for the OTA update - practically foolproof when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by windmill360 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post

I've downloaded it and tried it a bit.

It definitely loads flash ads and simple flash banners, but flash games like restaurant city on facebook takes ages to load (and it hasn't successfully loaded for me once yet)
    Okay so I've updated to 2.2, and I've downloaded flash. Where do we get that list of demo sites they were showing off?
    I remember some where sony, warner brothers, nikelodeon, south park studios.
    Miniclip was advertised too =) and the games there work fine (well the mobile site they direct you to anyway)

I remember there was some animal/eco website too.

Just updated to v2.2. This is my second time manually upgrading (v2.1 was a no-brainer, too). I have a T-Mobile phone but using it in Singapore (Singtel).

Initial bootup (the animated four-color splash screen) took longer than usual. My Beautiful Home widget was stuck at "loading". I deleted it from the interface, added it back in, and now it's restored.

I'll play around and see if there are really any dramatic real-world improvements.

Edit: I had about 26MB of free RAM before Froyo. Now it's jumped to 42MB. And this is before I've moved any of my programs onto the SD card.

Edit: Although I see the "Move to SD Card" button for each app, it's always grayed out, so I can't perform app2SD.

Edit: The counter-clockwise rotation is EXTREMELY sensitive. All I have to do is hold my N1 up vertically, tilt it forward towards my face (the LCD closer to the horizontal plane--i.e., screen facing down), then tilt the phone to the right. And BAM! the screen rotates counter-clockwise. Is it because of Froyo, Launch Pro (beta), or the combination of the two?

Edit: USB 3G tethering works flawlessly on my Thinkpad X200T on Singapore's Singtel network. Just plug in your phone via the USB cable, turn on tethering, and my Windows 7 finds the necessary driver online. Too bad it's useless to me, since my laptop has built-in WWAN already, but it'll come in handy for anyone without broadband mobile on their laptops or wifi-enabled phones/devices.

Edit: It crashes my Handsent whenever I sent an SMS. The SMS itself sometimes does get sent, sometimes not. When I go back to the conversation screen, I see the clockwise waiting icon that is permanent, even if the SMS was sent successfully.

I have a Nexus One on AT&T service, that means I can't use this file to get 2.2?

Quote Originally Posted by mcolletti12 View Post
    I have a Nexus One on AT&T service, that means I can't use this file to get 2.2?

Pretty much. But I encourage you to follow all the steps diligently, only to find 30 mins later you receive the same error as every one else preceding you.

That's what I figured, I guess I was just asking to make sure 100% because I was very apprehensive and excited to get the 2.2 update on my phone considerably earlier than first expected. Oh well, looks like it's waiting time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mcolletti12 View Post
    That's what I figured, I guess I was just asking to make sure 100% because I was very apprehensive and excited to get the 2.2 update on my phone considerably earlier than first expected. Oh well, looks like it's waiting time for me.
    One of the more interesting outcomes of this update is the ability to tether your mobile broadband connection, whether via USB or Wi-Fi. I say this because Google releases this update knowing full well that all the major mobile phone providers don't have a clause in their contracts that account for this activity - in fact, the very opposite. With AT&T, they reserve the right to modify/cancel your contract terms as a direct result of unauthorized tethering through your mobile phone. Although, with the flash update, it would be harder for AT&T to argue you're tethering when the surfing history includes Hulu, for example...since, with 2.2, your phone can surf Hulu, too.

What I'm trying to say is - it may have something to do with concerns of the carrier. Google isn't stupid, I'm sure AT&T has known about this update for months...and I'm sure their concerns have been voiced. Whether this will cause a delay of 2.2 on the AT&T platforms is to be seen - but remember, T-Mobile successfully petitioned Google to remove PDAnet (popular tethering application) from the Android Marketplace! Also, hardware for AT&T is different from T-Mobile. And remember, the partnership started with T-Mobile. That means the Android team may have had (significantly) more time to develop for T-Mobile...the AT&T version only came out 2 months ago, 3 months after the release of the first Nexus One. It's just nice to know I'll only have to wait a short time more versus an additional 3 months.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links