DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide

This is a discussion on DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by Tenacity Originally Posted by mcolletti12 That's what I figured, I guess I was just asking to make sure 100% because I was ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcolletti12 View Post
    That's what I figured, I guess I was just asking to make sure 100% because I was very apprehensive and excited to get the 2.2 update on my phone considerably earlier than first expected. Oh well, looks like it's waiting time for me.
    One of the more interesting outcomes of this update is the ability to tether your mobile broadband connection, whether via USB or Wi-Fi. I say this because Google releases this update knowing full well that all the major mobile phone providers don't have a clause in their contracts that account for this activity - in fact, the very opposite. With AT&T, they reserve the right to modify/cancel your contract terms as a direct result of unauthorized tethering through your mobile phone. Although, with the flash update, it would be harder for AT&T to argue you're tethering when the surfing history includes Hulu, for example...since, with 2.2, your phone can surf Hulu, too.

What I'm trying to say is - it may have something to do with concerns of the carrier. Google isn't stupid, I'm sure AT&T has known about this update for months...and I'm sure their concerns have been voiced. Whether this will cause a delay of 2.2 on the AT&T platforms is to be seen - but remember, T-Mobile successfully petitioned Google to remove PDAnet (popular tethering application) from the Android Marketplace! Also, hardware for AT&T is different from T-Mobile. And remember, the partnership started with T-Mobile. That means the Android team may have had (significantly) more time to develop for T-Mobile...the AT&T version only came out 2 months ago, 3 months after the release of the first Nexus One. It's just nice to know I'll only have to wait a short time more versus an additional 3 months.
    All well and good, except I've never had any trouble getting PDANet from the market. Free version is still there right now, and it can be upgraded from the app itself. I've been getting updates to it (from Market) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mcolletti12 View Post
    That's what I figured, I guess I was just asking to make sure 100% because I was very apprehensive and excited to get the 2.2 update on my phone considerably earlier than first expected. Oh well, looks like it's waiting time for me.
    One of the more interesting outcomes of this update is the ability to tether your mobile broadband connection, whether via USB or Wi-Fi. I say this because Google releases this update knowing full well that all the major mobile phone providers don't have a clause in their contracts that account for this activity - in fact, the very opposite. With AT&T, they reserve the right to modify/cancel your contract terms as a direct result of unauthorized tethering through your mobile phone. Although, with the flash update, it would be harder for AT&T to argue you're tethering when the surfing history includes Hulu, for example...since, with 2.2, your phone can surf Hulu, too.

What I'm trying to say is - it may have something to do with concerns of the carrier. Google isn't stupid, I'm sure AT&T has known about this update for months...and I'm sure their concerns have been voiced. Whether this will cause a delay of 2.2 on the AT&T platforms is to be seen - but remember, T-Mobile successfully petitioned Google to remove PDAnet (popular tethering application) from the Android Marketplace! Also, hardware for AT&T is different from T-Mobile. And remember, the partnership started with T-Mobile. That means the Android team may have had (significantly) more time to develop for T-Mobile...the AT&T version only came out 2 months ago, 3 months after the release of the first Nexus One. It's just nice to know I'll only have to wait a short time more versus an additional 3 months.
    All well and good, except I've never had any trouble getting PDANet from the market. Free version is still there right now, and it can be upgraded from the app itself. I've been getting updates to it (from Market) as well.
    You'll have to tell me how you're searching for it - because either I'm not spelling "pdanet" correct, or you're accessing some part of the Marketplace I'm not.

Not to say you can't steer your phone over to junefabrics.com and just install the .APK onto your phone from his website.

try just 'pda'

try just 'pda'
    Still nothing. I'm really trying to believe you, but it's just not looking good.

To prove my point, try backing up your app with Astro and then deleting it, then searching 'pda' on Marketplace. I'm willing to bet it doesn't pop-up in the results. Which would prove my original point - tethering was removed at the request of the mobile providers.

Who are you with? T-Mobile or AT&T? Or Rogers....

try just 'pda'
    Still nothing. I'm really trying to believe you, but it's just not looking good.

To prove my point, try backing up your app with Astro and then deleting it, then searching 'pda' on Marketplace. I'm willing to bet it doesn't pop-up in the results. Which would prove my original point - tethering was removed at the request of the mobile providers.

TMO. Been a huge fan of PDANet here, recommending for months (been using it since G1 days, version 1.1). Been getting regular updates from Market, which has been frustrating, since the version on my lappies were always out of sync with the versions on my phones. It's fine you don't believe me, as I don't believe TMO requested it be pulled, as you suggest...we're 'even'.

try just 'pda'

TMO. Been a huge fan of PDANet here, recommending for months (been using it since G1 days, version 1.1). Been getting regular updates from Market, which has been frustrating, since the version on my lappies were always out of sync with the versions on my phones. It's fine you don't believe me, as I don't believe TMO requested it be pulled, as you suggest...we're 'even'.

Because I make stuff up to win an internet discussion.

Google Android Not Quite So Open - Google bends to T-Mobile demands on tethering lockdown

Tethering Apps Being Banned From Android Market - So uh, this is what an open handset and network look like?

Partial fix | False Dichotomies

Google allowing tethering apps for non-T-Mobile users | Android Community

Android tethering apps pulled from Market | Android Community

Pdanet - CyanogenMod Forum

PDAnet removed from market... [Archive] - xda-developers

But go ahead and call me a BS artist again before you do any homework. (Maybe you could accuse me of setting up all those websites 5 minutes before I linked them onto this forum??)

Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”

Because I make stuff up to win an internet discussion.

Google Android Not Quite So Open - Google bends to T-Mobile demands on tethering lockdown

Tethering Apps Being Banned From Android Market - So uh, this is what an open handset and network look like?

Partial fix | False Dichotomies

Google allowing tethering apps for non-T-Mobile users | Android Community

Android tethering apps pulled from Market | Android Community

Pdanet - CyanogenMod Forum

PDAnet removed from market... [Archive] - xda-developers

But go ahead and call me a BS artist again before you do any homework. (Maybe you could accuse me of setting up all those websites 5 minutes before I linked them onto this forum??)

Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.”
    You win. Lose the confrontational attitude, please.

But only because you asked so nicely.

Then we both win.

Then we both win.

If you do happen to run into another Nexus One user...have them search for PDAnet and see what happens.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links