DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide

This is a discussion on DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; I Originally Posted by rugmankc Originally Posted by leninglass Originally Posted by Tenacity While all you T-Mobile customer are gloating about your "unofficial update"... Nexus ...

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Android 2.2 Install Guide

I
    Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leninglass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
    While all you T-Mobile customer are gloating about your "unofficial update"...

Nexus One 2.2 update is “not the official Froyo release” | These are the Droids

...I thought you might like to see what plans Google has for the Nexus One, as far as future advertising goes (courtesy of The Onion)...

New Google Phone Service Whispers Targeted Ads Directly Into Users' Ears | The Onion - America's Finest News Source | Onion News Network
    This just means good news! =] More to come.

If that Onion video is not a joke, I will be going back to Blackberry and looking for a good lawyer. Will sell the N1. Didn't they learn their lesson from their current lawsuit for knowingly collecting snippets of unencrypted wifi transmissions from neighborhoods they were driving thru to do street level gps nav info.

Ken

Ken,

I apologize for any confusion - news reports from The Onion such as this one are always chock full of sarcasm and massive amounts of exaggeration, and are never to be taken seriously...although this clip does feel less like a joke than most "reports" they've filed in recent time.

Tenacity,

No apology necessary. I didn't REALLY believe it. My comment was kinda rhetorical. But, like I said, after 60 years I don't doubt anything as being impossible.

Just waiting for my OFFICIAL 2.2 OTA, and enjoying the N1. As far as BB's go, I am not going back. There will always be new phones like the dual camera ones coming out, but the N1 can do anything BB's can do, unless you insist on a real keyboard. I thought keyboards like the N1, iphone etc would be impossible to type on. Not so, I am doing quite well on it. And, with a gmail account now and access to your calendar from any computer, I don't even need to use it that much.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Tenacity,

No apology necessary. I didn't REALLY believe it. My comment was kinda rhetorical. But, like I said, after 60 years I don't doubt anything as being impossible.

Just waiting for my OFFICIAL 2.2 OTA, and enjoying the N1. As far as BB's go, I am not going back. There will always be new phones like the dual camera ones coming out, but the N1 can do anything BB's can do, unless you insist on a real keyboard. I thought keyboards like the N1, iphone etc would be impossible to type on. Not so, I am doing quite well on it. And, with a gmail account now and access to your calendar from any computer, I don't even need to use it that much.

Ken

Was just glancing at your profile - funny, I was on Cincinnati Bell Wireless with a BB Curve 8320 for a short period of time...they weren't a bad provider, but when they inked the 3G deal with T-Mobile instead of AT&T, I knew I wasn't coming back. I definitely miss the physical keyboard, but it's all just a matter of training your thumbs to be a little more precise - and maybe a little more patience never hurt, the trade-off from that phone to this one is incredible.

BUT...I'll always miss the ability to choose which email account you wanted to send from in the drop-down box while you were composing...or it displaying all the email from all of your accounts into the consolidated "inbox"/main folder... email on this thing is definitely better than the iPhone, but it could be improved tremendously.

Tenacity,

I have been very happy with CBW for 11 years. I only need one email account for daily use. My att and yahoo accounts I have bookmarked and check every so often. I only have the att because of getting their home DSL and yahoo I got, I forget why, and don't need it. So, with gmail and google calendar, this phone is perfect. Like I said above, with access to calendar and gmail from any computer, I don't use the keyboard as much anymore. But, getting close to BB speeds on it. I had a email account with a local ISP on the BB and no gmail. Used Outlook which I could not access from my work PC. So, now everything is great.

My other concern was how quick I could move or change calender times/events on the N1 compared to the BB 8900. The BB calendar UI is excellent. I now find it just as quick to do that on the N1.

I have excellent 3G coverage and when I travel to visit family in SE PA, I know I will have 3G TMO service.

You must be in the Cincy, Dayton area to have had CBW. I sold my two BB's, the 8900 and an 8700g (dinosaur) on Craigslist in 24hrs.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Tenacity,

I have been very happy with CBW for 11 years. I only need one email account for daily use. My att and yahoo accounts I have bookmarked and check every so often. I only have the att because of getting their home DSL and yahoo I got, I forget why, and don't need it. So, with gmail and google calendar, this phone is perfect. Like I said above, with access to calendar and gmail from any computer, I don't use the keyboard as much anymore. But, getting close to BB speeds on it. I had a email account with a local ISP on the BB and no gmail. Used Outlook which I could not access from my work PC. So, now everything is great.

My other concern was how quick I could move or change calender times/events on the N1 compared to the BB 8900. The BB calendar UI is excellent. I now find it just as quick to do that on the N1.

I have excellent 3G coverage and when I travel to visit family in SE PA, I know I will have 3G TMO service.

You must be in the Cincy, Dayton area to have had CBW. I sold my two BB's, the 8900 and an 8700g (dinosaur) on Craigslist in 24hrs.

Ken

I was at one time...the exception to that rule is/was their "nationwide coverage" plan. When I signed up MANY years ago, I got that option and made sure I could go anywhere in the country with it...and then I did. I was paying 30% less than most people I knew for 2000 mins/month, nights and weekends, unlimited EDGE data, unlimited pics and text - and I could roam on ANY tower for free, it was a hell of a summer deal. I never changed my address on the account after I moved, I just went to paperless billing and never notified them - meanwhile, I "roamed" free for years. I'm sure with all the roaming agreements, I never made them any money, but they never tried to stop me. I spent the last two years with them living in PA while I roamed on AT&T's towers out there.

Then AT&T kicked me off their towers, and I had to roam on T-Mobile's EDGE...not quite the same experience, coverage really came into factor in the backwoods. Plus, I know they say T-Mobile has the fastest 3G nationwide but every T-MO customer I run into has a paltry 500-800 Kbps top speed, compared to the 2500 Kbps I pull regularly on AT&T. Dropped calls - I've had more this month than I ever did on Cincinnati Bell, but chalk that up to the 3G, when I switch over to "2G only", it never misses a beat.

Anyone know if the OTA for Froyo/2.2 is live yet?

When we finally get the froyo update? Does anybody knows?

Quote Originally Posted by a.rivera View Post
    When we finally get the froyo update? Does anybody knows?

i was just about to ask the same thing

Ok, I got fed up waiting and manually downloaded the froyo update. It all went pretty smoothly but I've run into a big issue: The native browser don't work anymore! All I get is the discouraging "Web page not available"

I'm in Hong Kong and on a PCCW data plan, so (hopefully) when the OTA version is released, this will be fixed but in the mean time I have found two workarounds.

1. Setup the N1 as a Portable Hotspot and browse from my old iPhone.
    2. Better solution, downloded Opera mini and can browse again.

Either way no Flash yet.

I have read elsewhere that the OTA update will just overwrite the manual one - I hope that's true.

No matter how you want to spin it, there are some things that the N1 does better than the iPhone and other things that just work better on the iPhone.

I've been trying a few things and one of them is Skype on a mobile. Up till today Skype on 3G has been disappointing. So, as stated previously, I setup the N1 as a Portable Hotspot. I ran the latest version of Skype on the iPhone connected through the N1 and it is absolutely killer!

No choppiness, no muffled sound - all this while sitting on a bus with quite a number dead spots en route. I use Skype a lot - parents in Australia, kids in the US and friends in the UK, not to mention a number of contacts in let's say, less technologically developed regions. So far all are as near to perfect as I could ever hope for.

So now another thing to wait for, a proper Skype version for Android.

Suddenly the wifi only version of the iPad is back on the drawing board!

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    No matter how you want to spin it, there are some things that the N1 does better than the iPhone and other things that just work better on the iPhone.

I've been trying a few things and one of them is Skype on a mobile. Up till today Skype on 3G has been disappointing. So, as stated previously, I setup the N1 as a Portable Hotspot. I ran the latest version of Skype on the iPhone connected through the N1 and it is absolutely killer!

No choppiness, no muffled sound - all this while sitting on a bus with quite a number dead spots en route. I use Skype a lot - parents in Australia, kids in the US and friends in the UK, not to mention a number of contacts in let's say, less technologically developed regions. So far all are as near to perfect as I could ever hope for.

So now another thing to wait for, a proper Skype version for Android.

Suddenly the wifi only version of the iPad is back on the drawing board!

For AT&T customers, June 7 is a deadline of sorts - gotta get that unlimited data plan before they yank it away, the only thing that pisses me off more than counting (digital) minutes is counting my data usage... 4.3 GB in one month. Like hell I'm downgrading to a bandwidth cap.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links