Amazon App Store - Good for the Android Ecosystem?

This is a discussion on Amazon App Store - Good for the Android Ecosystem? within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; To say that the Android Market could be improved would be an understatement. A number of App-Assistance sites have sprung up to fill the hole ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon App Store - Good for the Android Ecosystem?

Admin

Amazon App Store - Good for the Android Ecosystem?

To say that the Android Market could be improved would be an understatement. A number of App-Assistance sites have sprung up to fill the hole that Google has been unable to fill: Clean interface, Information you need, Screenshots, Ratings, etc.

But they all live a little to be desired as well. That's where Amazon is hoping to have an impact on the market. They seem to think they can develop and administer an App store that will change the buying experience. And at the same time, I'm sure they are hoping to improve upon the Android experience to stick it to Apple just a bit and keep the competing iPad from becoming a threat to their digital book sales at the same time.

So, will this be a Win/Win for both Android and Amazon? Let's hope so... and just to sweeten the pot a little bit more, Business Insider has a few points as to WHY this might be a match made in heaven for everyone involved.

• Amazon has a great software backend, they should be able to improve Application Discovery easily.
    • Amazon accepts payments in more countries then Google. A problem that has kept Google from opening up the market to other countries and has (some speculate) increased piracy.
    • Amazon has a great website to promote Apps on. Lots of eyeballs.
    • Amazon has the ability to set their own rules, so possibly no 24 hour return.
    • Amazon has incentive to make sure that only quality products show up in their market. Money. They get nothing for supporting free apps, while Google does. So quality should be much higher.

I'm very excited to see what Amazon has cooking for this app store. What are your feelings? Looking forward to it or think it's a bad idea? Let us know!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If it brings more quality apps to Android then I'm all for it!
    [PHONE] Nexus 4

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[TABLET] Nexus 7

[ROM] CM11 Nightlies

Couple of links / food for thought:

Yep, Amazon Launching Their Own App Store For Android Too

Amazon to Release Android Tablet Alongside App Store? | AndroidGuys

...of course all the app stores in the world won't give us mobile Skype or an open Swype!

A lot of the success will depend on carriers not blocking side-loading, along with multi-national access from the start.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmunic8r99 View Post
    A lot of the success will depend on carriers not blocking side-loading, along with multi-national access from the start.

AT&T users already lost.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post

AT&T users already lost.
    Are the Captivate and the X10 blocked from side-loading? I knew they did this to the BackFlip, but not so much about the newer phones.

Are the Captivate and the X10 blocked from side-loading? I knew they did this to the BackFlip, but not so much about the newer phones.
    Good question! I know the HTC Aria is blocked from "side loading", what a shame. That is part of the whole reason I went with the Nexus One! I really want to switch to Verizon or maybe Sprint, but I'm still under a stupid AT&T contract until 6/2011 because of that damn iPhone 3Gs (which I sold on eBay to pay for my N1)! I knew going in that my N1 gives me complete control over my phone software, don't have to pay extra for tethering, get Flash first (about 6 months before everyone else, some phones still don't update to Froyo), will get gingerbread first (very likely OTA officially, but if not, there will be a custom ROM, maybe before the OTA).

The Amazon App store isn't that surprising givin the Verizon App store to pander VCast bs. Also, isn't there an adult apps app store called Mikandi? This sort of thing is the whole push for Google, get as many people using it as possible. They don't care how, or who sells it. Just that your eyes are on their screen.

a quick google search says that both are blocked from side loading, along with the Dell Streak.

so, I guess I'll be sticking with my N1 on AT&T for a while (due to other lines having contract requirements)

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    All ATT Google phones are sideblocked.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    All ATT Google phones are sideblocked.
    ... Except for one notable exception.:nexusx:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links