Samsung Galaxy Tab off to great start, 600,000 units sold

This is a discussion on Samsung Galaxy Tab off to great start, 600,000 units sold within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; Video Quality is great doing HD outside. Pic are good considering it's a 3MP camera. Can be pixelatted in the dark. Here's my take on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab off to great start, 600,000 units sold

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Video Quality is great doing HD outside. Pic are good considering it's a 3MP camera. Can be pixelatted in the dark.

Here's my take on my G Tab (AT&T)

And my view is on AT&T version.

I love the 7 inch. It's perfect and out cased can fit in my back pocket or inside jacket pocket. Leather cased is hit or missed for my pockets.

The UI can be laggy sometimes. I rooted mines by way of z4root one click, but have not flashed any firmware, even though I could flash the Euro version to access the phone capability of the tablet. I"m waiting to let things get better developed before I do anything. I really want a Gingerbread ROM so I might not do anything till then.

Although I wished it to have the Super AMOLED screen the LED is very bright, good in daylight and help save SIGNIFICANT battery life. The battery life is great, but that may also contribute to me not using the 3g service on there.

I use thumb keyboard for Android. DD you should check that one out. It's great and several unique set up that utilizes your thumb placement for maximum use of your thumbs while comfortable holding your tab. Especially in Landscape.

Flash works MUCH better on the high resolution screen, allowing easier interaction with smaller button within the flash. The browser at some times can get stuck, but nothing major or enough to make me want to take it back.

Movies and videos in the bigger screen is so much better to look at now than my smaller N1 Screen as I don't have to strain much.

Couple of CONS that I didn't like

Once again on AT&T experience I don't like that they block upload speeds to 300kbps on 3G service. DL speeds are pretty good.

As always AT&T blocked sideloading options. I know about the Wonder Machine, but screw that. I want to install when I want, not having to hook up to my computer. So I found how to modify the dbdata setting file and unlock the restricted 3rd party app load. Only thing is there's no way to toggle off and on. I would have to change the setting in the file if I want to toggle. BUT my side load works w/o using my laptop. WOO HOO!

GPS at times can take a while to catch a signal. Now this may be because I have to data connect to it. But it will lock on, but I'm sure it would lock on quicker using the A-GPS.

I don't much care for the back design of the tablet. Very much like Captivate with the checkered pattern. But I use a leather case to protect so I don't care much.

*add* I don't like Swype on a tablet. IMO it sucks. It's better for thumb swipe on a phone.

I have much more things that I love about the Tab. But I don't want to over extend this.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Video Quality is great doing HD outside. Pic are good considering it's a 3MP camera. Can be pixelatted in the dark.

Here's my take on my G Tab (AT&T)

And my view is on AT&T version.

I love the 7 inch. It's perfect and out cased can fit in my back pocket or inside jacket pocket. Leather cased is hit or missed for my pockets.

The UI can be laggy sometimes. I rooted mines by way of z4root one click, but have not flashed any firmware, even though I could flash the Euro version to access the phone capability of the tablet. I"m waiting to let things get better developed before I do anything. I really want a Gingerbread ROM so I might not do anything till then.

Although I wished it to have the Super AMOLED screen the LED is very bright, good in daylight and help save SIGNIFICANT battery life. The battery life is great, but that may also contribute to me not using the 3g service on there.

I use thumb keyboard for Android. DD you should check that one out. It's great and several unique set up that utilizes your thumb placement for maximum use of your thumbs while comfortable holding your tab. Especially in Landscape.

Flash works MUCH better on the high resolution screen, allowing easier interaction with smaller button within the flash. The browser at some times can get stuck, but nothing major or enough to make me want to take it back.

Movies and videos in the bigger screen is so much better to look at now than my smaller N1 Screen as I don't have to strain much.

Couple of CONS that I didn't like

Once again on AT&T experience I don't like that they block upload speeds to 300kbps on 3G service. DL speeds are pretty good.

As always AT&T blocked sideloading options. I know about the Wonder Machine, but screw that. I want to install when I want, not having to hook up to my computer. So I found how to modify the dbdata setting file and unlock the restricted 3rd party app load. Only thing is there's no way to toggle off and on. I would have to change the setting in the file if I want to toggle. BUT my side load works w/o using my laptop. WOO HOO!

GPS at times can take a while to catch a signal. Now this may be because I have to data connect to it. But it will lock on, but I'm sure it would lock on quicker using the A-GPS.

I don't much care for the back design of the tablet. Very much like Captivate with the checkered pattern. But I use a leather case to protect so I don't care much.

*add* I don't like Swype on a tablet. IMO it sucks. It's better for thumb swipe on a phone.

I have much more things that I love about the Tab. But I don't want to over extend this.
    Lol you sold me, I think I might inquire about one now , I've been on the fence on tablets

Glad the responsibility was taken up on providing a proper review. I've only had it for about 15 hours so far, and only used it for about 3. Most of that time was installing all the apps I've got on my Nexus 1 on the tab also.

I caught the tips above (rooting, keyboard) and will check them out too. I'd quite like to put CyanogenMod6 on it, but on the other hand, I'm liking the extra apps Samsung provided so I'm not sure.

My biggest concern now is what on earth am I going to do with my Nexus 1. It's been squeezed out of my affections by the tab. It'll still get usage when I'm out and about, but considering I work at home, easily 95% of my Androiding happens at home on wifi. I doubt I'll even put a SIM card in it. The only time I'd need it is while out, and I'm more likely to use the Nexus 1 while out.

If I can find a good bit torrent app for the tab, then I'll probably give away my Samsung laptop - it's the only thing I keep it for.

Too many cool gadgets and not enough uses for them ;-)
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I still use my Nexus but I'm just now updating to 0.12.11

Been playing with this tab a lot more. One of the reason I'm anticipating Honeymoon to let this beast loose.

So now the elocity A7 is available now and has Tegra 2, but as I said, Android is not ready for Tegra like it needs to be.
    Androidfied.

Four and counting !! That's how many family members so far have expressed their Christmas present wish for a galaxy tab. They all hate being tied to a desk with a computer that spends all it's time trying not to get infected with malware from simple web usage.

Hmmm. Should I go to PC World and buy four more as presents. Hmmm.
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Sounds like it's gonna be a great christmas.
    Androidfied.

Twenty four hours on since the purchase. Now I'm wondering if I jumped into the tab market too fast. It's the perfect sized device, I wouldn't want it any other way. It's got Android 2.2 (in Samsung clothing) and that's fine too. Battery life is easily as good as I'd hope for.

The only niggle (and I use that word because annoyance would be too strong) is that it might be slightly underpowered in the processor department. I've noticed that as I'm adding a shortcut to an app to the desktop for example. As I touch on "Applications", it can take several (very noticeable) seconds before the list of apps comes up. It's not like I've got a lot on there either. I think I downloaded about 40-50, which isn't a lot really.

The other case where performance has been even more noticeable, is playing Angry Birds Seasons. When you scroll left and right between the target and your birds, it gets noticeably choppy.

I've tried closing as many apps as I can in the background and that hasn't made a difference.

Maybe when I get it rooted (after Christmas when I've got time) and perhaps get SetCPU on there and maybe CyanogenMod6.x will be ready for the tab by then (I know a few of the devs have them and it's being worked on but it's early days yet).

Anyone else noticed any of this? Any tips ?

Edit: I haven't tried closing ebuddy and tweetdeck yet. Two fairly chunky apps that could be polling for messages rather too often.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    Havent got one, would love one, cant afford one,

Hows the thickness btw?
    Iv played with it in a shop and it seems quite a bit thick,

though I would love to pump my ebook collection onto it ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    Havent got one, would love one, cant afford one,

Hows the thickness btw?
    Iv played with it in a shop and it seems quite a bit thick,

though I would love to pump my ebook collection onto it ^^
    It's only a hair thicker than the Nexus one. (12mm to 11.5mm respectively). It's actually slightly thinner than the iPad.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    The only niggle (and I use that word because annoyance would be too strong) is that it might be slightly underpowered in the processor department. I've noticed that as I'm adding a shortcut to an app to the desktop for example. As I touch on "Applications", it can take several (very noticeable) seconds before the list of apps comes up. It's not like I've got a lot on there either. I think I downloaded about 40-50, which isn't a lot really.

The other case where performance has been even more noticeable, is playing Angry Birds Seasons. When you scroll left and right between the target and your birds, it gets noticeably choppy.
    Another 24 hours on, that angry birds behavior is actually identical to on the nexus one. It's just a little more noticeable due to the larger screen. All is actually fine on the performance front

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links