Gingerbread tomorrow?

This is a discussion on Gingerbread tomorrow? within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; OK, they changed the way the notifications bar looks, they tweaked the keyboard, and they seem to have fixed my main complaint- text selection using ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gingerbread tomorrow?

OK, they changed the way the notifications bar looks, they tweaked the keyboard, and they seem to have fixed my main complaint- text selection using the 1 pixel wide cursor sucked. So yeah, I think I think I hit the nail on the head when I said they'd tweak the UI and maybe fix a couple bugs (occasional pauses while the CPU is busy, for example).

They added stuff to the SDK for games. Whoopty doo. Made the OS recognize more than one camera, but if your phone doesn't have multiple cameras, changes there don't really mean anything.

I still don't see anything to get excited about. No happy endings, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tyler.durden View Post
    OK, they changed the way the notifications bar looks, they tweaked the keyboard, and they seem to have fixed my main complaint- text selection using the 1 pixel wide cursor sucked. So yeah, I think I think I hit the nail on the head when I said they'd tweak the UI and maybe fix a couple bugs (occasional pauses while the CPU is busy, for example).

They added stuff to the SDK for games. Whoopty doo. Made the OS recognize more than one camera, but if your phone doesn't have multiple cameras, changes there don't really mean anything.

I still don't see anything to get excited about. No happy endings, yet.
    Ok well that is not the type of answer I was expecting but seriously what else do you want to be included in the upgrade there is not much else that they can fix or improve that they haven’t alertly done or are doing in gingerbread without adding new hardware.

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    I wana omnom on some gingerbread!

Uh I can`t seem to find where to go to see this event live can someone send a link please.

PS: By the event I mean Dive into mobille.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    Ok well that is not the type of answer I was expecting but seriously what else do you want to be included in the upgrade there is not much else that they can fix or improve that they havenít alertly done or are doing in gingerbread without adding new hardware.
    Exactly my point. Nothing here to get excited about if you already have an Android phone.

The Keyboard fixes are nice, but I'll probably still use swype for most keyboard input- I'd use it 100% of the time if Epocrates worked with it.

I'd have to say the best improvement looks like the text selection scheme, but I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to try it. It is hard to imagine it could be much worse than trying to use the nearly invisible cursor to do it.

It's nice to see active OS development going on to keep up with or stay ahead of new hardware, but it doesn't mean much to existing phone users.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Random21 View Post
    This is all really awesome. So those of you who have been saying gingerbread is not that big of a deal, what do you say now?
    It's still not that big of a deal.

Biggest plus of the software

Voip Sip support
    NFC support
    multi camera support
    Large Screen support (tablets)

Trust me the future of Google Android will start gearing off to Tablets. I'm more excited of GB for my tablet over my phone.

Androidfied.

If the future of android is gonna be geared toward tablets then what is the point of even keeping a phone. If this is true I am going to just wait until webos comes out with a phone that is a little better. In all honesty webos is the best operating system I have ever had, and I have used every os with the exception of symbian. If webos had a good quality phone thats where I would be.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by card0124 View Post
    If the future of android is gonna be geared toward tablets then what is the point of even keeping a phone. If this is true I am going to just wait until webos comes out with a phone that is a little better. In all honesty webos is the best operating system I have ever had, and I have used every os with the exception of symbian. If webos had a good quality phone thats where I would be.
    What else do you want them to add? What more could phones possibly do? There will be more updates for phone but there will be more development for Tablets. Tablets are where the G1 was with Android. Honeycomb is Tablet's Cup Cake.

There's only so much more a phone can do. I mean unless you want the phone to drive you car, we haven't reach that type of technology yet.

Think about Symbian. What else was there to possible do it and there a very little updates now a days for their products, but Symbian always very well built their OS with small firmware updates.

But Google will be at the point where there's only tweaks to do. Like Windows 7. They just are developing at a faster than production (phones) pace.

I'm loving it.
    Androidfied.

Well the nexus is my first and only android phone, so unless there are other phones that multitask better that run android that is one thing i miss like crazy. Half the time when i hold the home button down to go back to what I was doing the screen opens and immediately closes again, and there are a lot of apps, that freeze my phone when i try and multitask and then i have to do a battery pull to get it up and running again. If I could afford it I would probably be with the G2 because of the hard keyboard because text messaging on my N1 is still something I haven't fully gotten used to, and is also not very accurate. So the more I could want is good support for yahoo, good and easy multitasking, and an actual keyboard. I know the keyboard is an option that is out there.
    GO BRONCOS!!!!

I never seen any mobile OS multitask better than Symbian. I'm sure alot of problems will be fixed in GB so we'll see.
    Androidfied.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links