Samsung and Acer to Debut Google Chromebooks on June 15th; Game Changer?

This is a discussion on Samsung and Acer to Debut Google Chromebooks on June 15th; Game Changer? within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; I love the cloud integration, and I'm slowly moving everything I can in that direction. It's hard finding stuff that syncs between Linux, Windows, and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Samsung and Acer to Debut Google Chromebooks on June 15th; Game Changer?

I love the cloud integration, and I'm slowly moving everything I can in that direction. It's hard finding stuff that syncs between Linux, Windows, and Android, but I'm finding some solutions that work.

I'm still struggling with such great dependency on being connected, though, especially when traveling (which is why you have a laptop, isn't it?). With roaming charges varying between your internal organs, to your first born son, it's not always a viable solution, and some off-line functionality is essential...

If you wanna know if it's right for you, install the Chrome browser on your PC, and don't use anything but Chrome for a few weeks and see how you like it (and this is at home, where you can pretty much guarantee connectivity).

Well I understand the whole idea of putting everything into a cloud and then being able to access that same cloud from anywhere it's a great idea but I don't think it's the best way to go for a few reasons.

Pros
    One, the problem with a cloud that you can access from anywhere is exactly that, you can access it anywhere which means that if you can so can anyone else given your password (see hackers) and if you have private/business stuff that you don't want anybody seeing it's not always the best idea to put it on the internet.

Two, I thought the whole point of the phones that burn a whole in your hand because they are so fast was that it would eliminate the need for anything but your phone and a keyboard cause everything would run off of it. Then you sync what you can in the cloud for your other phones to get but with that what you want private stays private.

Three, like danger said if you don't have connectivity you pretty much don't have anything while on your laptop it would make less difference cause you can still do other things with it while your not connected.

Four, if you have a single cloud it has to have everything synced into it meaning all your accounts, cause can you imagine you have a browser and that's all you need plus your cloud, but you need a tab for your messenger, (note this is all if you use it) a tab for your gmail, a tab for your work email, a tab for your skype account, a tab for this forum, a tab for... the list goes on, but then can you imagine you need to sign in to these every time you connect to a device because they're all on different clouds.

Five, if all this data is constantly syncing then you still have to pay for all that data so that leaves a print in the wallet.

Now that being said there are up sides to having a netbook with everything cloud synced

cons
    One, you're cloud synced so you need nothing but the internet and any device even if it's not yours and you have access to all your stuff.

Two, if you lose your device nothing is lost you have what you had on the last device.

Three, when you buy a new computer there is no need to transfer all the data that was in the old one it's all already there.

Four, depending on how synced they are talking about this might be really interesting cause you could do something in one room and then grab your smartphone and go somewhere else and have everything you had in that last room.

So all in all I think it is a good idea but I think it is a better idea to have just really amazing smartphones with everything on those that you would then drop into your or someone else's dock (kind of like the Atrix) and then you can mess around with everything on those. This way you can still use it offline and have everything, when you go elsewhere then home you have all your stuff and it's a little safer from hackers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links