Nexus One Pricing: Unsubsidized or Contract Comparison

This is a discussion on Nexus One Pricing: Unsubsidized or Contract Comparison within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; To contract or not to contract, that is the question. Well, nosugrefneb.com has taken the time to do a comparison on what kind of cost ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One Pricing: Unsubsidized or Contract Comparison

Admin

Nexus One Pricing: Unsubsidized or Contract Comparison

To contract or not to contract, that is the question. Well, nosugrefneb.com has taken the time to do a comparison on what kind of cost savings you might get by purchasing the phone outright. Granted, they make some sacrifices... such as paying per minute for voice and utilizing data more.

With the recent purchase of Gizmo (VOIP company) and of course Google Voice working over data/wireless, you may not need voice as much as you think.

The comparison ends up saving $482 over what would be the life of a normal 2 year contract with the needed default voice plan.

Hop on over this link to have a gander at the full article: nosugrefneb | Nexus One Pricing, Subsidized vs. Unsubsidized

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

dandroid
    With that break down, the cost of the phone really doesn't look that bad

Some of us in Europe have known this for a couple years now.
    My last two handsets have been unsubsidized.
    Nice convincing write-up. I hope it reaches the masses in the US.

This just re-affirms my plan to buy it unsubsidized! Can't wait for official pricing tomorrow...
    (T-Mobile USA) HTC Nexus One Unlocked

I wonder if the data only plan would work out. I already have GV, but I didn't get the Gizmo5 add on. According to this link:

Google Executive Hints at Google Voice VOIP in 2010 | AndroidGuys)

Google is going to have VOIP this year.

The one question that I have is, if you just did data only, would your phone have to have continual connection to the internet? And if so, wouldn't this deplete your battery quicker?

I was bored at work, and thought I'd recreate the chart with accurate information as seeing their subsidized and unsubsidized pricing info "cost of phone" is wrong, as well as under unsubsidized at month number 12 it shows $72.94, instead of $42.94 as the rest of the months show, anyways, the run down is a total savings of $502.14 after a 24 month period. Which is almost the cost of a second N1 .

I did this with the consideration of buying 2 N1s for my wife and I. I considered 3 senarios-considering we're on ATT paying 140 for full everything for both BBs we have. Staying on ATT is obviously the worse option - being more money across the board-no shock there. Buying two N1s sub was only beneficial up to 13 months. After that, unsub took it and after 24 moths it was $524 less than TM sub, and $744 less than our current ATT plan.
    Assumptions:
    -Total Phone cost for 2 was $360 sub, $1060 unsub (taxes not in consideration)
    -ATT plan cost per month (CPM): $140
    -TM sub CPM: $80. (two of the N1 plans)
    -TM unsub CPM: $109 (Cost of an Everything more plus family plan with my company discount)

Obviously this was for my own situation, and may vary with taxes, fees, your selection of plans - but it seems pretty consistent with other analysis I've seen.

bmo

Realistic Comparison

So the comparison posted here may not be that realistic for everyone here, dealing with the skype numbers and all that. I have re-done a version of this with a more conventional (though slightly more expensive) unsubsidized approach using the even more plus plan from Tmobile that has no annual contract. All of this excludes taxes.

I'm not jumping in until I see all of the plans being offered. Verizon is supposed to be getting the N1 in the spring, and I just saw a posting from BGR (Boy Genius Report) that AT&T is getting some Android phones (maybe N!1?). Here's the link:

AT&T finally jumps on the Android bandwagon Boy Genius Report

Has anyone heard from Sprint yet?

What I want to see is huge pricewar!

Me and my wife were trying all day to figure out how to buy 2 N1s for $180 ea but couldn't get qualified for the full discount. In talking with T-Mobile, we started to realize how much better off you are to just buy the phone outright. We will pay for our phones in less than 14 months. Here's the last e-mail I sent her about it....(this is based on getting 2 phones for $180 each subsidized)...

The T-mobile guy was saying that what we should do is buy the phones outright and keep our family plan but add "Even More Plus" which is a internet plan for both phones. It would cost $109 per month with a $35 (one-time) activation fee for each phone.
    So here's the breakdown...

Buying the phones outright:
    2 Nexus One phones = $1,060
    2 activations for Even More Plus = $70
    $109 per month for 2 years = $2,616
    Grand total to own the phone for 2 years = $3,746

Using phone rebate plan:
    2 Nexus One phones = $360
    2 $80 per month activations for 2 years = $3,840
    Grand total to own the phone for 2 years = $4,200

So the guy at T-Mobile is right, if we buy the phones outright and stick to a cheaper plan we save $454 over the first 2 years. Every year we keep the phone after that we will save $612 per year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links