20,000 new Nexus One Owners

This is a discussion on 20,000 new Nexus One Owners within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; Originally Posted by dg36 Am I the only one that thinks there’s something up with Google. The Nexus One is a good phone, but like ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20,000 new Nexus One Owners

Quote Originally Posted by dg36 View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks there’s something up with Google. The Nexus One is a good phone, but like most reviews state, “…it’s good but not revolutionary.” Searching this and other forums you’ll see mediocre reviews and responses. Other more astute observations bring up what Google did wrong like releasing the phone on the smallest network, not releasing to all networks at the same time, lack of multi-touch, and other small issues. Think about it… a phone developed in secrecy, released 10 days after Christmas, and little to no effective advertising. Not the usual successful business practice of a Fortune 500 company. I have a feeling there’s more to this story. So, what’s up is there something more?
    I'd agree that something's fishy and I have a lot of theories.

I don't buy for a second that Google and HTC built this phone together from the ground up Google is all about simplicity, why would they produce a device that has more buttons that the iPhone? Besides that, HTC had been working on the HTC Dragon (later named the HTC Passion) for a while. Leaks (including screenshots of what was the Nexus One) were coming out since the summer with the specs of the Nexus One (snapdragon, huge oled screen, 512 ram, no keyboard, thin and stylish, etc). (Believe me, I've been waiting for it.)

What I think happened is Google saw it was an ideal time to strike and go big:

• They've been releasing a had a handful of new mobile-focused products in the hopper and ready for public release (Google Goggles, Google Local, the navigator tools) but they wanted something sexy to release it on and get more attention.
    • They've been buying up mobile ad and voip companies and would need a stable, popular platform to monetize on.
    • The iPhone hasn't had a new release in a while and Apple seems tied up working on this new Tablet, so Google knew it was time to strike and get a phone out there that hardware wise could smoke the iphone for some time.
    • iPhone app developers over the past 6 month have also started publicly speaking out and leaving Apple because of their app store policies. A new sexy, powerful device that supported open development would help woo them. Any mainstream software platform creator (like Steve Balmer of Microsoft) knows what's important: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE[/ame]
    • The Dragon/Passion was getting a lot of nerds hot under the collar and building hype over the second half of 2009 (along with the HD2, although that was tied to WinMobile so open source developer type folks were getting frustrated looking for an alternative with similar specs). Google saw this and approached HTC, asked if they would be willing to white-label/co-launch their new 'super' phone.

The Jan. release date I think had something to do with their deal with Verizon and the Droid to hold of pushing any big/competing Android products until after the holiday buying season. Just as I suspect Verizon is holding off picking up the Nexus One because they're milking the Droid for everything they can, which has proven to be a surprisingly decent hit. Originally, Verizon was supposed to be releasing the dragon/passion/nexus one.

I've been following this for a while very closely, but I'm sure I'm probably wrong on many things. For what it's worth, those are some of my thoughts connecting various dots.
    :nexusx: A new hope. :nexusx:

well thought out and well written. Has alot of merit.

also cool name Nexuswon
    Pegasusrider

I LOVE my Nexus One:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by On2Vegas View Post
    What advertising??? A link on the Google's homepage??? I was at a party this past weekend and asked several people if they heard of the N1. Not one person did. They had heard of the Moto Droid though. Google better get crackin' on a major ad campaign, and soon.
    They got it onto the primetime news slots across all the major channels in this country. Everyone has heard of it.. but nobody knows where to buy one. There's 'buzz' but no sales from it yet.

It's a soft launch really. Get it into the hands of the developers and early adopters.. get them writing cool stuff for it, then the real launch across muliple carriers, full page ads, etc. I'm suspecting it will be huge by summer.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyHoyle View Post
    Everyone has heard of it.. but nobody knows where to buy one. There's 'buzz' but no sales from it yet.
    Sorry, but everyone certainly has not heard of it. After writing that post I decided to ask around my office (NYC), since to be fair a small dinner party probably wasn't the best sampling. Again same result, little awareness. News pieces cannot be relied on to push your product.

I love my N1.

I think I have every possible application active, LOL

I can make popcorn on this its so damn hot (figure of speech)

In all seriousness, I ordered on sunday, shipped early monday so no problems there.

Network seems to be operating fine, no glitches, flaws in software

A+++++ Buffalo, NY

And we have another happy customer! Welcome aboard, digitaldisaster!

Happy to be here. Willing to help and be helped!!

:nexusx:

These are bad comparisons. It shouldn't be lined up with the 3G release. ATT was well established with the iPhone before the 3G release.

T-Mobile will run the same way, except the nexus one will do better

I am sure the Nexus One is a good phone, but the way Google handled the advertising and release time is just terrible. I am not surprise that it turned out this way. Hopefully Google will learn from this and make a better try with Nexus Two. 20,000 unit sold in first week is just unacceptable. For now the Nexus One is fighting a tough uphill battle and it is going to be more tough with the new phones out (especially if the new iphone come out) since some of the newer phones more likely than not will have snapdragon. If Google itself come out with Nexus Two or Nexus Three this year, by the end of this year the Nexus One will be just another forgotten phone out there.

IM glad its not that many users. Less users to bogg down the little 3g network that they have. Also better support not having to answer as many calls.

What sucks is i having to pay over $100 for Tmobile plan including unlimited minutes...Now that sucks! After 160 days with google i am hoping something will change in Tmobile contract so i can cancel without ETF. Then on to the next greatest phone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links