Linus Torvalds now the proud owner of a Nexus One

This is a discussion on Linus Torvalds now the proud owner of a Nexus One within the Nexus One & Google Phone News forums, part of the Nexus One category; It looks like we are in good company when it comes to Nexus One owners. Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux Kernel is now ...

Thread: Linus Torvalds now the proud owner of a Nexus One

Admin

Linus Torvalds now the proud owner of a Nexus One

It looks like we are in good company when it comes to Nexus One owners. Linus Torvalds, the creator of the Linux Kernel is now part of the club.

He posted recently on his blog that he finally broke down and purchased a Nexus One last week. Linus talks a bit about how he has always hated cell phones and even had a G1 that he never used. However, he went on to say that he does enjoy the Nexus One very much... full quote below:

Quote Originally Posted by Linus Torvalds
    I broke down and bought a Nexus One last week.

I got the original G1 phone from google when it came out, and I hardly ever used it. Why? I generally hate phones - they are irritating and disturb you as you work or read or whatever - and a cellphone to me is just an opportunity to be irritated wherever you are. Which is not a good thing.

At the same time I love the concept of having a phone that runs Linux, and I've had a number of them over the years (in addition to the G1, I had one of the early China-only Motorola Linux phones) etc. But my hatred of phones ends up resulting in me not really ever using them. The G1, for example, ended up being mostly used for playing Galaga and Solitaire on long flights, since I had almost no reason to carry it with me except when traveling.

But I have to admit, the Nexus One is a winner. I wasn't enthusiastic about buying a phone on the internet sight unseen, but the day it was reported that it finally had the pinch-to-zoom thing enabled, I decided to take the plunge. I've wanted to have a GPS unit for my car anyway, and I thought that google navigation might finally make a phone useful.

And it does. What a difference! I no longer feel like I'm dragging a phone with me "just in case" I would need to get in touch with somebody - now I'm having a useful (and admittedly pretty good-looking) gadget instead. The fact that you can use it as a phone too is kind of secondary.
    Be sure to check out his blog and post a comment welcoming him to the family and why not invite him to join us over at the site?

Linus' blog: Happy camper

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

he needs to help us code now that he has the nexus one. how about you fix that damn unlock for us mr linux.
    Microsoft Product Adviser
    :nexusx:Android Developer

i wonder if he is on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by raccord View Post
    i wonder if he is on the forum?
    That's preposterous

Would be very cool however

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links