New user of N1 possible replacement for BB Bold

This is a discussion on New user of N1 possible replacement for BB Bold within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hey all, just ordered a Nexus One that may possible replace my Blackberry Bold 9700. I will have them both for a while to compare ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New user of N1 possible replacement for BB Bold

New user of N1 possible replacement for BB Bold

Hey all, just ordered a Nexus One that may possible replace my Blackberry Bold 9700. I will have them both for a while to compare and will be doing lots of searching on the site to find out how N1 does things vs. the 9700.

Some items of interest I will be looking into are:
    -All in one IM client(FB,Yahoo,Google, MSN,AIM)
    -Tethering via BT to Macbook.
    -Multiple Email boxes, instant push option? (yahoo, gmail, hotmail and POP/IMAP)
    -Combined message box for all messages: IM,emails, calls, sms, mms.
    -apps for wordpress, ftp,password storage.

I can't wait to get my nexus one, and start breaking things hehe....err I mean testing its capabilities.

Great site!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

After a day with the Nexus One, for anyone who might be interested, here are the some findings to the items below:

Meebo and Ebuddy both do this but both have quirks.

Nothing yet.

-Multiple Email boxes, instant push option? (yahoo, gmail, hotmail and POP/IMAP)
    K9 email client will allow this, but only with IMAP not POP accounts, and to get to the folders you need to go an additional screen/extra step.

Default swipe down does this.

wordpress app, AndFTP, (still looking for a good password manager)

Also the screen is nearly impossible to read outdoors in the sun, need to find some sort of glare protection for it.

Really liking the nexus one so far, more than the 9700, mostly due to the smooth action and easy, intuitive interface. The choice of apps is also incredible, although some i've tried just dont work as well as I would hope there are some good ones out there too.

Quote Originally Posted by linuxrick View Post
    Hey all, just ordered a Nexus One that may possible replace my Blackberry Bold 9700. I will have them both for a while to compare and will be doing lots of searching on the site to find out how N1 does things vs. the 9700.

Some items of interest I will be looking into are:

I can't wait to get my nexus one, and start breaking things hehe....err I mean testing its capabilities.

Great site!!

How long have you had your Bold? I have a 9700 and I'm going to get a Nexus at the end of the month

I've had the 9700 for about a month or so but have had the 8120, 8100 and 7100 blackberries before that over the years.

After a few more days of beating on the Nexus One...

Battery life is horrible compared to the blackberry, I have to charge it daily where with the blackberry I could go 2-3 days without having to charge it. Make sure to get a travel charger for the car!

Making a call takes a few additional taps on the screen compared to the blackberries speed dial buttons.

Music and Video is AWESOME on the Nexus One!

Also working multiple apps at once is nice, I was talking on phone via speakerphone, while I used barcode scanner to pull up an app off a website and then installed it and began using.

Quote Originally Posted by Boswell View Post
    How long have you had your Bold? I have a 9700 and I'm going to get a Nexus at the end of the month

I used to have the Blackberry Bold 9000 and by comparison I will say that Blackberry did have some things work better than my N1 or atleast be in comparison to my N1. With the Messaging system the N1 has Gtalk which is nice. But I have to admit I liked the BB Messenger only because it had a ping feature which vibrated when my wife wanted to reach me via messaging system. The Facebook app was also better in terms of having my notifications appear at the top bar of my BB and stating how many notifications I had. On my N1 I had to download the FB Touch app which although does show notification when accessing the app it doesn't really pop up on any notifcation bars on my N1 when my FB App is not up and running.

Again my gripes are very minute in comparison to the overall picture of having this phone. I have downloaded a bunch of useful apps and have used them accordingly. The phone doesnt lag unlike my BB which lagged/locked up/shut itself off. Overall I am still happy to have bought my N1. I know there are issues here and there and i already knew I wasnt going to get a 100% awesome phone, but this definitely comes close to being a phone with so much potential to become awesome in its own right. The Blackberry serves a good purpose as a business phone even with its outdated platform, but for an all around phone it is top notch. I know iphone has this and that, but i didn't want to have a phone everyone has/had/will have.

I agree with you there, the BB did some things very well with its push features, like Facebook, and mail. I used jivetalk on my BB as the IM client and it blows away anything else I've used so far. It's one of the few apps I actually paid for on the BB as I felt it was well worth it. I hope they bring it to android platform. I am happy I moved over to the Nexus One though so far. Last night I installed Home++ a home screen replacement launcher, it has a lot of additional features that I am really starting to like.

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    I used to have the Blackberry Bold 9000 and by comparison I will say that Blackberry did have some things work better than my N1 or atleast be in comparison to my N1. With the Messaging system the N1 has Gtalk which is nice. But I have to admit I liked the BB Messenger only because it had a ping feature which vibrated when my wife wanted to reach me via messaging system. The Facebook app was also better in terms of having my notifications appear at the top bar of my BB and stating how many notifications I had. On my N1 I had to download the FB Touch app which although does show notification when accessing the app it doesn't really pop up on any notifcation bars on my N1 when my FB App is not up and running.

Again my gripes are very minute in comparison to the overall picture of having this phone. I have downloaded a bunch of useful apps and have used them accordingly. The phone doesnt lag unlike my BB which lagged/locked up/shut itself off. Overall I am still happy to have bought my N1. I know there are issues here and there and i already knew I wasnt going to get a 100% awesome phone, but this definitely comes close to being a phone with so much potential to become awesome in its own right. The Blackberry serves a good purpose as a business phone even with its outdated platform, but for an all around phone it is top notch. I know iphone has this and that, but i didn't want to have a phone everyone has/had/will have.

OK after about a months usages, here are some follow up observations.

First the bad:
    -Copy and paste on N1 is horrible compared to BB.
    -No way to save an email attachment in default email app???
    -Email retrieval is not reliable, sometimes I get emails on a consistent basis, other times it's spotty and wont get notified.
    - 3G loses connection a lot, and even in good 3G areas it doesn't work that great and switches from 3G.
    - touch screen has quirks, sometimes it selects something from bottom launcher when clearly I touch icon on top of screen.
    - battery life is about a day of minimal use.

Now the good:
    - Dropbox is now available for N1! Although no way to delete files via its interface, it is still nice.
    - Apps a PLENTY!! And a lot of good free ones, BB had some but more were pay vs. that of the N1 market.
    - Navigation app is nice,(especially for free!) found my way around downtown Chicago from Detroit no problems at all.
    - Gallery "share" integration into different apps is outstanding!

OK after about a months usages, here are some follow up observations.

First the bad:
    -Copy and paste on N1 is horrible compared to BB.
    -Email retrieval is not reliable, sometimes I get emails on a consistent basis, other times it's spotty and wont get notified.
    - 3G loses connection a lot, and even in good 3G areas it doesn't work that great and switches from 3G.
    - touch screen has quirks, sometimes it selects something from bottom launcher when clearly I touch icon on top of screen.

Now the good:
    - Dropbox is now available for N1! Although no way to delete files via its interface, it is still nice.
    - Apps a PLENTY!! And a lot of good free ones, BB had some but more were pay vs. that of the N1 market.
    - Navigation app is nice,(especially for free!) found my way around downtown Chicago from Detroit no problems at all.
    - Gallery "share" integration into different apps is outstanding!

There are apps for that. I use Blackmoon AttachSave Lite v1.8 Application for Android | Productivity and get a prompt to save any attachment I open to my SD Card

Agreed. If you're not rooted, you could try JuiceDefender - battery saver vEvolution 1.3.7beta Application for Android | Tools to help the battery last longer

Hope these help.

Thanks for the info on the battery life I am trying that app to see how it works! I also rooted my phone and installed the latest cyanogen mod.

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post

There are apps for that. I use Blackmoon AttachSave Lite v1.8 Application for Android | Productivity and get a prompt to save any attachment I open to my SD Card

Agreed. If you're not rooted, you could try JuiceDefender - battery saver vEvolution 1.3.7beta Application for Android | Tools to help the battery last longer

Hope these help.

Thanks for the info on the battery life I am trying that app to see how it works! I also rooted my phone and installed the latest cyanogen mod.
    Oh wow, if you're rooted your battery problems are solved! Forget juicedefender... you need this instead SetCPU for Root Users v1.5.2 Application for Android | Tools I only suggested juice because I thought you were non-rooted

I went for 8-10 hours of battery to over 20 hours.

Also, have a look at this video Get Better Battery Life On Your Nexus One | DroidDog Android Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links