Hi, New User - Any advice?

This is a discussion on Hi, New User - Any advice? within the Nexus One Introductions forums, part of the Nexus One category; Hi, this is my first cell phone ever. Any advice or tips anyone can offer me? What should I do to optimize my battery life? ...

Thread: Hi, New User - Any advice?

Hi, New User - Any advice?

Hi, this is my first cell phone ever. Any advice or tips anyone can offer me?

What should I do to optimize my battery life? How should I charge the battery? Run the battery completely dry? or can I charge in between? And if I charge in between, will there be a memory on the battery?

Should I be worried about viruses and malware from the internet. I am currently connected to wifi, and I assume I should be downloading some virus protection to protect my phone?

Well my data be encrypted when I later connect to the 3G network and enter passwords and other such senitive information?

Can I use GPS without a data plan? I live in Canada. I guess I am out of luck with Google navigation? Any programs you guys suggest instead?

Thanks a lot. Hope to get a lot of info from this site.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by detekk View Post
    Hi, this is my first cell phone ever. Any advice or tips anyone can offer me?
    WOW! Congrats! You sure know how to start off with the best!

What should I do to optimize my battery life? How should I charge the battery? Run the battery completely dry? or can I charge in between? And if I charge in between, will there be a memory on the battery?
    I recommend a full charge once you receive it, play with it until it wants to die, and allow it to shut itself off (die), then recharge. After that, the meter should be accurate, and you can charge it at anytime after that, it makes no difference, and no memory on Li-Poly batteries.

Should I be worried about viruses and malware from the internet. I am currently connected to wifi, and I assume I should be downloading some virus protection to protect my phone?
    Nope. Wait 'til someone here mentions an issue, otherwise don't worry. Only d/l apps from the market, or a trusted developers site.

Well my data be encrypted when I later connect to the 3G network and enter passwords and other such senitive information?
    Yes..all banking/investing sites are secure-socket (https) sites, and your data is secure, just be sure to check the site IS secure before entering any data, as a precaution.

Can I use GPS without a data plan? I live in Canada. I guess I am out of luck with Google navigation? Any programs you guys suggest instead?

Thanks a lot. Hope to get a lot of info from this site.
    Yes, GPS can be used sans data, but mapping requires either a live data connection (navigation) OR you can download maps to the phone's sdcard (memory) and nav from those on-board maps. Ask for the latest mapping apps on the Applications forum! Welcomce aboard!

Welcome aboard

Thanks guys. I was looking at choosing between the Nexus One and the Sony Ericsson Xperia X10. Hopefully, I chose the right one. I know I'm loosing out on the better camera from Sony, but I don't think I'm missing on much more?

Should I always charge the battery to full? or is it okay to take it off at 95% if I don't have enough time?

I'm looking through the Android Market and I don't seem to see any paid apps, they are all free. Currently, I haven't picked up the SIM card from the provider so is paid apps only available on phones connected to a cell service provider?

Welcome from sparky in Oklahoma you can find just about any answer
    to any question just read a lot and don't be afraid to ask if you don't
    know this sight is filled with great people

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links